bench press

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No thats absolutely right mate of course it takes years and years of lifting to reach such heavy poundages,building not only the muscular strength needed but more importantly the tendon and ligament s

I`ve been watching him for some time now,getting close to Julius Maddox` World record.All he has to do now is do it in a competition.Julius is also peaking for a competiition soon so watch this space.

for those interested in lifting or strength sports... the bench press record was beaten yesterday....its an unofficial record as its set in a gym rather than in a comp...the record was 349 kilo o

Posted Images

4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Can them weights be lifted consistently without medicinally help? Either way it’s some serious achievement that I either think wilf is correct and some folk ( me included) just ain’t meant to lift that much, it’s a serious leap with what I’m capable of now to that 500, it’s never gonna happen, is it my mental state or waiting too late to start or is just a tall slender framed guy ain’t ever gonna be able to compete with somebody built for lifting ? 

true that, alot of it down to your genetics , i might be your kind of shape  iam  5ft 11  1/2 in  13st ,   now when i was younger and trained  doing karate  and weights , i got real fit/ strong  i bench  265lb  , ok not big weight to what some big lads lift, but iwas well over my natural body weight of 180 lb . i think maybe if tried harder might have gone 300lb  . but in all that time 3years doing it i never got any bigger, just stronger. the guy who ran the gym , who won body building comps in the past, told me my frame wouldn't change much as it my genes , but he said that i was strong for my build. i was happy with what i had done ,  i not bad to bad for my age now, but feck me wish i was 34 again   lol  

On 23/02/2022 at 16:41, W. Katchum said:

Can them weights be lifted consistently without medicinally help? Either way it’s some serious achievement that I either think wilf is correct and some folk ( me included) just ain’t meant to lift that much, it’s a serious leap with what I’m capable of now to that 500, it’s never gonna happen, is it my mental state or waiting too late to start or is just a tall slender framed guy ain’t ever gonna be able to compete with somebody built for lifting ? 

Obviously Mo Farrah is never going to bench 500 lb,frame and skeletal structure plays a part naturally......i always had the attitude that a 10 stone weakling lifting 200 lb is equally impressive as a Charles Atlas type lifting 3 x more its all about your own goals and targets.

• Like 2
On 23/02/2022 at 18:04, Greyman said:

I no a lad that is incredibly strong, has been like it since childhood I think it’s a genetic thing mate, he ain’t ripped or nothing like that just a beast, carrys 8 x 21ft scaffold tubes at a time off the back of the lorry, you can only make the most of what you got mate, ??

Most of the scaffolding stuff is more balance and technique as opposed to raw strength a good pal of mine used to own Greater London Scaffolding we'd often have stupid bets on strength stuff one of their old favourites was what they called " topping a longun " from a kneeling position  ( yeah didnt sound good to me either )......so topping a 21 ft tube from your knees....i remember a skinny kid half my size taking money off me when he did it with 2 tubes and i almost fractured my skull trying !.....handling them things every day you just get the feel and balance strength doesnt really come into it that much.

26 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Most of the scaffolding stuff is more balance and technique as opposed to raw strength a good pal of mine used to own Greater London Scaffolding we'd often have stupid bets on strength stuff one of their old favourites was what they called " topping a longun " from a kneeling position  ( yeah didnt sound good to me either )......so topping a 21 ft tube from your knees....i remember a skinny kid half my size taking money off me when he did it with 2 tubes and i almost fractured my skull trying !.....handling them things every day you just get the feel and balance strength doesnt really come into it that much.

Understand that mate but the lad is strong and has been since he was a toddler, ?

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Cheers for that it’s a bit disheartening hearing you big guys talk about numbers like that, I can’t lie ? but like I said I learnt very early on that competing with Paul or Steve down the gym wasn’t the reason I was doing what i do, it was more to keep up with me own kids ??‍♂️

First thing ive always said to people mate,forget about numbers....the minute you start getting fixated on poundages your lifting will suffer or you'll get injured.....as the saying says " leave your ego at the door ".....truth be told you probably lift more than me these days mate i rarely lift heavy anymore.

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

First thing ive always said to people mate,forget about numbers....the minute you start getting fixated on poundages your lifting will suffer or you'll get injured.....as the saying says " leave your ego at the door ".....truth be told you probably lift more than me these days mate i rarely lift heavy anymore.

How often you going gym now ? 

On 23/02/2022 at 16:41, W. Katchum said:

Body mechanics play a big part

It’s amazing how much stronger you are when you train for a long time with someone who’s stronger than you , I started squatting with a bloke at the gym and once I’d sussed low bar squat and watched him squat heavy I believed it could be done and did it,  I never squat as much as him by loads but I improved massively , he is 100% natural dosent even have protein powder or caffeine , squat 600lb on his 60th birthday easily 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lurcherman 887 said:

How often you going gym now ? 

I train around every other day on an average wee, it doesnt rule my life anymore but still feel incomplete if im too long out the gym.

Do you train mate or just an observer ?.....you're a London lad if im not wrong ?

8 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I train around every other day on an average wee, it doesnt rule my life anymore but still feel incomplete if im too long out the gym.

Do you train mate or just an observer ?.....you're a London lad if im not wrong ?

I try to mate but seem to fall off the wagon after a few months never trying to get big or anything like that just definitely feel more positive and fresh after a workout. 

wind the mrs up after a week in gym “think I’m getting bigger love?”

And yes london originally but now live between Borehamwood and a lovely place called edgware  ? 

• Like 1
On 23/02/2022 at 21:00, TOMO said:

makes your toes curl watching it chaps

That lump bulging out of his right side chest.. what gave way in his chest mate..muscle or tendons/ ligaments etc..it looks bloody painful..

1 hour ago, king said:

That lump bulging out of his right side chest.. what gave way in his chest mate..muscle or tendons/ ligaments etc..it looks bloody painful..

it's a tendon that attached the peck to the upper arm I believe ...result is surgery to re attach it..

• Like 1