Season over. Fk’n barbed wire!

Me young dog landed on some barbed wire whilst out lamping think he misjudged it being a double row of the stuff he’s normally a foot over everything. Other than the actually cut he’s absolutely fine. Vets have priced it up at £600 (??) to put him under and stitch it, pain killers and everything else. Seems unbelievable how much money but I’ve never been in for anything like this before!?
However, I’ve heard horror stories of dogs and barbed wire ripping there c*cks off and worse so overall I’m glad it should be fairly straight forward. 
Hes 13 months old, started him off lightly 2 or 3 months ago and he’s done ok, no world beater but he’s mine, we’ll be back at it Sept/ October. Cheers. 

EEF0651E-320D-4454-88E2-E9220DA1F906.jpeg

A129F46D-E8AB-45DA-B2C4-96631EEB3D2E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doesn’t look to bad, I wouldn’t be paying £600 to get that stitched, just trim the hair around it and keep it clean and it will heal itself

Lads on a learning curve, he was concerned for the dog which was the right thing. We all live and learn.  Cheers, D.

Always better to care than not...

Posted Images

Just now, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Doesn’t look to bad, I wouldn’t be paying £600 to get that stitched, just trim the hair around it and keep it clean and it will heal itself

Would it take much longer to heal that way? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Samrog said:

Would it take much longer to heal that way? 

Would take longer but it’s worth it unless your made of money, when did he do it ? I’ve found in the past that unless you get them stitched on the same day the stitches will end up coming out anyway and you’ve wasted your money

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Would take longer but it’s worth it unless your made of money, when did he do it ? I’ve found in the past that unless you get them stitched on the same day the stitches will end up coming out anyway and you’ve wasted your money

Did it late Friday night. It’s started to heal well I’ve cleaned it up throughout the days and I was intending on just letting it heal however it was the flap of skin not taking back down that bothered me so went in to see vets opinion last night. Perhaps I was best going straight away. 

hes insured so will cost me £85 excess but I don’t like even giving them that 

Edited by Samrog
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Samrog said:

Did it late Friday night. It’s started to heal well I’ve cleaned it up throughout the days and I was intending on just letting it heal however it was the flap of skin not taking back down that bothered me so went in to see vets opinion last night. Perhaps I was best going straight away. 

hes insured so will cost me £85 excess but I don’t like even giving them that 

Cut off any dead flaps of skin around the outside of the wound ?

23 minutes ago, Samrog said:

Me young dog landed on some barbed wire whilst out lamping think he misjudged it being a double row of the stuff he’s normally a foot over everything. Other than the actually cut he’s absolutely fine. Vets have priced it up at £600 (??) to put him under and stitch it, pain killers and everything else. Seems unbelievable how much money but I’ve never been in for anything like this before!?
However, I’ve heard horror stories of dogs and barbed wire ripping there c*cks off and worse so overall I’m glad it should be fairly straight forward. 
Hes 13 months old, started him off lightly 2 or 3 months ago and he’s done ok, no world beater but he’s mine, we’ll be back at it Sept/ October. Cheers. 

EEF0651E-320D-4454-88E2-E9220DA1F906.jpeg

A129F46D-E8AB-45DA-B2C4-96631EEB3D2E.jpeg

IMG_20211012_205205.jpg

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Cut off any dead flaps of skin around the outside of the wound ?

my instinct said i could leave it, keep it clean and lead walk him while it heals i just didnt know better for sure, hes booked in for weds and insurance has covered it, but this is a lesson learnt thank you Fens ?

3 hours ago, Samrog said:

my instinct said i could leave it, keep it clean and lead walk him while it heals i just didnt know better for sure, hes booked in for weds and insurance has covered it, but this is a lesson learnt thank you Fens ?

Let us know how he gets on, I’d say stitching it on Wednesday when he done it 5 days ago from then is a complete waste of time and could end up taking it even longer to heal, I’d almost guarantee the stitches won’t hold and any flaps of skin will be dead by then 

• Like 2

wish id of come on here sooner. Hes all booked in and paid for for the morning now so i'm gonna just let it be with the vet but your advice in exactly what i needed and  i appreciate it thanks. 

13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Cut away the dead skin,hair and keep it clean,flush with saltwater few times a day,stop the dog licking it,get a heat lamp over it ?if it's been 5 days,f**k the vet off..

14 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

This healed fine without stitches, vets said it needed doing and would cost £400, I bid them farewell ?

B4A1EE21-24F6-43D7-92FF-4B3491C4BA2F.jpeg

with the double wire , its norm they have for cattle, you get the 1st lot from the fence, then its norm 2- 3ft away meaning the dog got to go up, and then dive out over the 2nd fence wire. it  real dangerous for dogs, my big dog landed on top of the 2nd fence and bounced of the bloody thing, real lucky , but he had few bangs and bumps over the years, maybe his size helped him.  But what i done when out lamping him,   and came upon this type fencing , i show him the black fence wire with the lamp  and it norm works , he jump that bit extra out, and clear  it. regards the wound,it best to get it stitched  ,  if left takes long while to heal , more so if it round gut , any where by the belly, worst i had was bull x grey, he caught his back leg on wire , it was on the inside, i left it to heal naturally , took long while to heal, never again, get  good vet who understands  working dogs, that 1/2 the battle , anti vets waste of feckin time .

• Like 4