Sheep Issue

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who says they have never had a hunting dog have a funny moment of some kind with sheep is probably telling porkies. Having a dog which isn’t at all stock broken, may work for some folk, bu

Yes, time moves on, and at this juncture, I reckon we have reached a pinnacle as regards getting what we want, from the Wild Canids.. Our Sheepdogs are superb, our racing and coursing dogs are amazing

My dogs bushing around sheep happens daily ,and Id admit that at one time or another, each pup has at some stage thought to add sheep/lambs to their  hit list .I expect it .I own my own sheep and norm

Posted Images

8 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

6D597257-015E-486D-9392-D07269FF3A38.jpeg

248EA0E3-D142-4BB0-978D-8EE9CA41D99F.jpeg

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I think I have seen your collies on the ACD Thread from a couple weeks ago and wonder what type of collie they are?
I am reading a book on the history of the Kelpie breed and there are a lot of collie strains mentioned, that are probably not around anymore?

WWW.KELPIEHISTORY.COM

From the north of Scotland to the outback of Australia and everywhere in between, wherever contributions to the evolution of the Kelpie breed occurred, Bill and...

• Like 2
10 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

They do smell different mate and also move different. Too much like deer! 

thanks on that, it does make sense above, yeh like been said we all think our dogs are 100% , until  that one day ??  . ive read  that alot of collies , more so the old dogs, can end up killing sheep, maybe there brain goes bit loopy . my 2 have been good with sheep no prob , but as you know your self, that the collie moving sheep, giving the  eye, its controlled instinct  that been watered down, in them herding breeds,  but not other breeds  as much.  ?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bird said:

thanks on that, it does make sense above, yeh like been said we all think our dogs are 100% , until  that one day ??  . ive read  that alot of collies , more so the old dogs, can end up killing sheep, maybe there brain goes bit loopy . my 2 have been good with sheep no prob , but as you know your self, that the collie moving sheep, giving the  eye, its controlled instinct  that been watered down, in them herding breeds,  but not other breeds  as much.  ?

True, anyone that trusts their dog 100% with sheep is having themselves on imo. If loose without supervision, more so if in a pack, any dog can revert back to it's wild ancestors. The most prolific sheep killers over here are rogue kelpies, some say because they are a common breed in the bush but I don't know. The thing is, no dogs a problem if kept under control.

• Like 1

It is not easy some times but all I do know is when it is rght it's a great feeling turning that lamp off safe that your dog is trotting back and them sheep in the corner have no worry. Or your dog goes over the brow in sheep ground and you no all is well.  Had a terrier once that when on a line he would cut around sheep and pick it up the other side. Unless the quarry was is site then he went through. It was nice to have such a trust worthy dog. It took a well timed clout at about 7 months which just did the trick for life. But he was level headed. But even then I kept away from sheep because a dog zig zagging on a line by sheep could still give the farmer the wrong idea and end up shot. That was all ways a worry 

• Like 4

Sheep on really big properties here are semi wild and shit scared of dogs. Most of the dogs shot are just walking through the place and not even interested in the sheep. I was talking to a neighbor with a big property and  I said  this doesn't sound fair but he said it's the dogs presence that's the problem, causing the flock to panic and run into fences injuring quite a few. This is why you are lucky to gain permission here, hunting with any type of dog. You do have a better chance rabbiting with a couple of whippets than pig hunting with a pack of bull blooded dogs though in sheep country.

• Like 2
On 23/02/2022 at 22:48, SheepChaser said:

They do smell different mate and also move different. Too much like deer! 

To us they may well do but a dog is a very smart animal, one  who can be taught to do a huge range of "jobs"& when one gets behind a sheep he doesn't know its a ........sheep really ????......... think about it .....

I think its important to remember each dog is different ,even if its a pure bred, some require a lot more training than others & without doubt all dogs working out in the field need to be under control at all times .That's the owners job ,if the dog runs amuck that's the owners fault & sadly some wont admit & own it, instead are happy to blame everything from the wind to what they fed the dog a week before .

Bloody humans.......

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, toolebox said:

To us they may well do but a dog is a very smart animal, one  who can be taught to do a huge range of "jobs"& when one gets behind a sheep he doesn't know its a ........sheep really ????......... think about it .....

I think its important to remember each dog is different ,even if its a pure bred, some require a lot more training than others & without doubt all dogs working out in the field need to be under control at all times .That's the owners job ,if the dog runs amuck that's the owners fault & sadly some wont admit & own it, instead are happy to blame everything from the wind to what they fed the dog a week before .

Bloody humans.......

yes and no mate, yes all dogs are different . the main thing is more so a young dog, that been used on deer, ( yes) it knows the difference from a  smelly old sheep  , and a fallow or a roe, but some times if the bloods up, and it pulled couple deer , it could grab a sheep , not saying it would , but could in that 15 sec of madness . like said you got to knock it in to them  that sheep are a no no, and sheep equals  pain. like right now lot of sheep got young lambs with them, Buck brill , ive had lambs following him about  and smelling him  lol,  little woody a no no, sheep, hosses, cattle anything  that aint a dog is fair game to that twat, but he was rescue even be fore my lad had him , think he 12 , Buck 10 in august  . Buck sensitive  dog, so it was easy to get into his head, he dont like getting a  hit , he as done good though, he nailed a fox through some  sheep the one night , came back with it through 2 fields with sheep in both .  now i had kellpie x collie x grey bitch, that was head banger ok with me, but nobody else , had to shoot her in the end went for my wife + son, shame as  no prob with me, couldnt trust with people , she took few foxes and munjack, this was in the 80s , it took 2 feckin good hidings before it sunk in , she was good then after that, like say all dogs are different , what say to anybody with young lurcher , you must keep showing them day/night  , do few stays right in the middle of the sheep, let the dog know there nothing to them, make them oblivious  to them , that the secret .?

On 22/02/2022 at 20:14, SheepChaser said:

Anyone who says they have never had a hunting dog have a funny moment of some kind with sheep is probably telling porkies.

Having a dog which isn’t at all stock broken, may work for some folk, but for most of us it’s a liability. 

But I can imagine for a lot of folk as much as they can do some stock breaking, the opportunities are not always as readily available as to others. 

Ive always taken the approach that it’s best to make sheep totally un exciting, part of the scenery, something they recognise and know what it is. My lot tend to grow up around them and see them as pups, get stamped at by a moody ewe, cuddle up with pet lambs in the dog bed and come round the sheds with me etc. They all learn when pups what sheep are and not to chase them. 

But still, I’ve had plenty of moments! Never anything too serious, but have found most young dogs have a moment either through bordem or because they’ve started working and now are looking for prey. The only real option is quick punative action and immediate re exposure. 

There is also a massive difference between a big flock of white sheep stood in a field, and individual sheep running, or hill sheep breaking out of cover or worst of all something sick, injured or stuck which seems to wake the predator up in the dog. 

Hill sheep are the ones to watch ya dog with in my experience. Our Trev was solid. One day out of sight he latched on to a hill sheep. I think it’s the smell but that’s just a guess ;)

• Like 2

I had a couple of hours last night, my young dog missed the second rabbit and followed it into the next field full of sheep and when he lost it he hunted up for a bit ?‍♀️ but came back away from the sheep ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, dytkos said:

I had a couple of hours last night, my young dog missed the second rabbit and followed it into the next field full of sheep and when he lost it he hunted up for a bit ?‍♀️ but came back away from the sheep ?

Cheers, D.

Gerrote 

I've known dogs not see a sheep until well into adulthood and never give them a second glance and these were hard bitten working dogs, I had one myself that I never actively broke and only seen sheep a handful of times and was 100% steady. 

Imo a dog that is bored and frustrated and not getting enough graft are the ones that will turn their head to sheep the easiest. 

• Like 1