Sheep Issue

44 minutes ago, dytkos said:

How many people realistically do? How many of those have lurchers? How many farmers  would let you have your sheep aggressive dog in with it? 

I think your using a Plummerism ? 

Cheers, D.

You ever been near a ewe with lamb at foot in a pen with a dog? I would put my money on the ewe ??It has worked for me in the past so what’s to say it wouldn’t work with his? Bad job if your not friendly with a farmer somewere? I know plenty of farmers that would rather someone asked if they could spend some time with there dog around sheep in a controlled manner in a pen then see it chasing sheep around a field getting zapped with and electric collar ??‍♂️ And wtf is a plummerism? 

• Like 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who says they have never had a hunting dog have a funny moment of some kind with sheep is probably telling porkies. Having a dog which isn’t at all stock broken, may work for some folk, bu

Yes, time moves on, and at this juncture, I reckon we have reached a pinnacle as regards getting what we want, from the Wild Canids.. Our Sheepdogs are superb, our racing and coursing dogs are amazing

My dogs bushing around sheep happens daily ,and Id admit that at one time or another, each pup has at some stage thought to add sheep/lambs to their  hit list .I expect it .I own my own sheep and norm

Posted Images

My dogs bushing around sheep happens daily ,and Id admit that at one time or another, each pup has at some stage thought to add sheep/lambs to their  hit list .I expect it .I own my own sheep and normally drive em up into a corner and make them break either side of me & my pup or dog ,I set the E-collar on high and once the dog has started to chase I hit them with some shock while saying nothing ,at times some have had a second go  ,treated in the same manner ,then from that point on I use my voice to control my dogs .What I don't want to see is a dog ,looking at a sheep like lunch ,and you can usually find its done so a number of times but hasn't acted on it .A owner should notice and take action before it becomes a problem .From that point on if I don't 100% trust a dog they wear the collar set on low power ,any more is not needed. EVERY single time I'm anywhere near sheep ,I talk to the dogs telling em no ,get in behind ,regardless of what dogs i have with me .Training is a on going thing ,it never stops ,dogs need reminded what's required of them ,what animals you are targeting, ....they don't get to decide ,I do !

• Like 9

My two whippets never look at stock. One day I decided to take my denning bitch ferreting with them. Over the first hill the terrier had a sheep by the leg with the whippets on one ear each ?. The whippets let go when I arrived and copped a flogging but had to prise the terrier off. The running dogs have never looked at a sheep again after that. I'd try a shock collar if your dog persists with the sheep before writing him off.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. Bloody frustrating, I am sure you are aware but it's not a case of one and done, I have been there and some dogs I've had were looking good in calm situations but never completely solid when sheep ran so I can see potential for a shock collar. Another option, I do canicross with mine and If you run it's worth considering, what I do is jog through sheep fields with the dog on a canicross harness. Gives you the chance to correct the dog as sheep disperse.

Just one thing on hitting them, as some have said, it has to be in the moment but also be prepared that a dog with drive and it's blood up is likely to turn on you, so try not to get to that point IMO

? Fecking massive subject, the schooling of hunting dogs,...all I can say is,...where running dogs and farm livestock is concerned,.....'Familiarity breeds contempt"....

Think about it....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
21 hours ago, Black neck said:

Maybe maybe not

pity , the owner of the dog, didnt  give it good hiding , when he pulled the dog of the sheep , it was perfect  right then  hit the dog,  with still holding the sheep down, get the dog on the lead , right over the sheep, then give the dog good hiding , you got be brutal , it got to get in the dogs head, that them  wooly things mean pain if it get  to close to them. it better to do this than ,  get the dog shot   fact , hope you sort it out mate . 

• Like 5

Once a Dog turns its head it can never be trusted again, i remember tomo some years ago having a decent dog that turned its head to a Ewe , well he done the right thing and if i recall the dog was being sold  but he did not pas it on he done what you must ...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bird said:

pity , the owner of the dog, didnt  give it good hiding , when he pulled the dog of the sheep , it was perfect  right then  hit the dog,  with still holding the sheep down, get the dog on the lead , right over the sheep, then give the dog good hiding , you got be brutal , it got to get in the dogs head, that them  wooly things mean pain if it get  to close to them. it better to do this than ,  get the dog shot   fact , hope you sort it out mate . 

Note 2 do wi me Ray, mine couldn't catch a sheep

1 hour ago, micky said:

Once a Dog turns its head it can never be trusted again, i remember tomo some years ago having a decent dog that turned its head to a Ewe , well he done the right thing and if i recall the dog was being sold  but he did not pas it on he done what you must ...

I don't think it's as clear cut as that, I think you have to take into account a variety of factors, and there's a large variable, such as is the sheep in a field in a flock or bombing out of bracken , are they randomly in a forest , smelling a bit different or being hunted up but unsighted etc. Then how much stock training has the dog had , it goes on and on , I personally don't think its a clear cut PTS job, but it does impact on trust and make for some less relaxing mooches...

• Like 5

Anyone who says they have never had a hunting dog have a funny moment of some kind with sheep is probably telling porkies.

Having a dog which isn’t at all stock broken, may work for some folk, but for most of us it’s a liability. 

But I can imagine for a lot of folk as much as they can do some stock breaking, the opportunities are not always as readily available as to others. 

Ive always taken the approach that it’s best to make sheep totally un exciting, part of the scenery, something they recognise and know what it is. My lot tend to grow up around them and see them as pups, get stamped at by a moody ewe, cuddle up with pet lambs in the dog bed and come round the sheds with me etc. They all learn when pups what sheep are and not to chase them. 

But still, I’ve had plenty of moments! Never anything too serious, but have found most young dogs have a moment either through bordem or because they’ve started working and now are looking for prey. The only real option is quick punative action and immediate re exposure. 

There is also a massive difference between a big flock of white sheep stood in a field, and individual sheep running, or hill sheep breaking out of cover or worst of all something sick, injured or stuck which seems to wake the predator up in the dog. 

• Like 12