Sheep Issue

2 minutes ago, terryd said:

I reckon it is his best shot if normal and preferred methods have failed. Set the dog up to fail and give it the continuous button not the pulse. It might try run through it depending on its nature but hopefully not. Sure beats giving the dog a clout after the event. Not a good situation how ever you look at it but you can work through it or around in the end if needs be

Definitely works ,but I have seen it not work only once mind  couldn't believe it tbh but there it was some highly driven types wi high pain threshold 

• Like 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who says they have never had a hunting dog have a funny moment of some kind with sheep is probably telling porkies. Having a dog which isn’t at all stock broken, may work for some folk, bu

Yes, time moves on, and at this juncture, I reckon we have reached a pinnacle as regards getting what we want, from the Wild Canids.. Our Sheepdogs are superb, our racing and coursing dogs are amazing

My dogs bushing around sheep happens daily ,and Id admit that at one time or another, each pup has at some stage thought to add sheep/lambs to their  hit list .I expect it .I own my own sheep and norm

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Ewes are starting to lamb now. Find a over protective mother and let it take a beating off her. Worked for me when I had a terrier that was a b*****d for them. 

That is another thing now is certainly not the time to be stressing out any sheep

• Like 4

I've had sheep issues, was far easier living in Wales , getting dogs amongst sheep and familiar, I had a bomb proof dog that was solid with sheep out on the tops, had a e collar on tingle for recall and he decided to chase sheep , blew his head off and would cross a field to avoid them which is actually a pain when working a dog. Then took on an adult bitch that was great on a lead but wanted to kill anything when off, collar cured her of sheep , shown by an experienced lad must've walked a sheep field three times before she put her foot down and within a metre of said sheep hot her and she came back to sit to heel , that was perfect stock training with e collar . My current bitch has had very little to do with sheep especially as we lived abroad and I was away working a lot, was fine then bored on a hill walk decided to hit a sheep, I had no tech , just a severe bollocking, then took her to Wales to stock train on hill sheep and almost to my dismay realised I'd already been effective in stock breaking her, there's always an amount of doubt but sometimes better to be made aware of it and nip it in the bud .... Spend a bit of time on it and move on.

• Like 4

had problems with stock breaking to sheep before but as said the e collar worked a treat no commands or anything said to the dog just let him chase one and get right up behind it then let him have it that worked well and he never bothered them again the real test is when a dog is switched on and hunting some thing on scent through cover bracken ect and a sheep jumps up in front of them its all right when you can control the situation but what if you cant thats why they need to be bomb proof around all live stock its a pain but what can you do apart from retraining or rehoming or pts

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Not if you know a farmer with a ewe in a pen ?

How many people realistically do? How many of those have lurchers? How many farmers  would let you have your sheep aggressive dog in with it? 

I think your using a Plummerism ? 

Cheers, D.

• Like 6