Sheep Issue

Afternoon Guys/girls

Had a bit of an issue with my lurcher over the weekend.  Has been trained and absolutely trust worthy around sheep until Saturday, hopped over a fence into a field to see what was about.  There were two sheep on their own, I didn't give it much thought as he is so good around them.  Then they ran across the field, again didn't think much of it, until out of know where he went for them, I shouted at him and ended up pulling him off one of them.  Luckily I got there before any real damage was done, he had just pulled it over, hadn't gone for the kill yet.

Is he forever untrustworthy now, I'm gutted as I did a lot of work with stock training. 

Its shite as I never used to need to worry but all of a sudden he has lost all my trust around live stock

Any tips for re-training him, he is 2yrs old but still a bit of a goofy pup at times. collie/deer/beddy/grey type mix, 27inchs and nearly 70lbs so not a small dog

Cheers

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who says they have never had a hunting dog have a funny moment of some kind with sheep is probably telling porkies. Having a dog which isn’t at all stock broken, may work for some folk, bu

Yes, time moves on, and at this juncture, I reckon we have reached a pinnacle as regards getting what we want, from the Wild Canids.. Our Sheepdogs are superb, our racing and coursing dogs are amazing

My dogs bushing around sheep happens daily ,and Id admit that at one time or another, each pup has at some stage thought to add sheep/lambs to their  hit list .I expect it .I own my own sheep and norm

Posted Images

On the upside you've got all summer now. I would get him around sheep as much as possible (at least once a week, preferably more). On a long line at first then maybe an e-collar. I'd use the e-collar on a low setting just to keep in touch so he never thinks you're far enough away to ignore.

I've heard it said that if that doesn't work you should turn the collar up to 10, wait 'til he's right up the arse of a sheep and let him have it. ?

• Haha 1

wrong. get the bugger amongst sheep and other livestock, as soon as my pups were able go out in the field, straight away introduced to livestock , as soon as the pup clocked em, a sharp tug on the lead with a firm word NO,  you cant avoid sheep fields we a working do, as for tuther poster, no godd giving ya dog a slap afterwards, gotta  catch  the bugger doing it 

• Like 8

Considering the dog had to be pulled of the sheep, I’m sure a firm hand would have been more than appropriate regarding to (timing) of the telling off. 

11 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

wrong. get the bugger amongst sheep and other livestock, as soon as my pups were able go out in the field, straight away introduced to livestock , as soon as the pup clocked em, a sharp tug on the lead with a firm word NO,  you cant avoid sheep fields we a working do, as for tuther poster, no godd giving ya dog a slap afterwards, gotta  catch  the bugger doing it 

2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Maybe maybe not

I reckon it is his best shot if normal and preferred methods have failed. Set the dog up to fail and give it the continuous button not the pulse. It might try run through it depending on its nature but hopefully not. Sure beats giving the dog a clout after the event. Not a good situation how ever you look at it but you can work through it or around in the end if needs be

• Like 1