410 reloader

I am wanting to try and load some 410 this year, and looking for loading presses, it seems there’s only Mec about, and I don’t want to spend daft money on one, lee only make 12 and 20 gauge that I would use, and not 410,  I see the survival loaders from America give a 410 option, 

what does everyone else use I have plenty of loading gear for rifle rounds, but not shot shell I am planning on getting a  lee load all in 12 with a 20 gauge conversion kit especially since I found they would load 3 inch and spoke to clay and game, 

but I would like to load the 410 as I do seem use mine  more and more as time goes on , 

On 24/02/2022 at 22:15, 3175darren said:

Hi sausagedog I found these online they do 410 /20  bore and 12 bore a company called The X Ring USA DEAED31C-373B-4A2E-8E62-D18D5EC8A5D1.png.22c1d94c783bdb1c95da09023f08033b.png

Sorry buddy. Bit late reply....

Yeah bet they work. Nothing tech about it really.  It only gets technical when you want a loaded round to every pull of a lever.

21 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Sorry buddy. Bit late reply....

Yeah bet they work. Nothing tech about it really.  It only gets technical when you want a loaded round to every pull of a lever.

I don’t  need nothing technical , it’s getting one over here, I am going to email them I think, if you don’t mind me asking what powders do you use, and have you tried to load say steel, you would think some one would come up with a set dies for the lee presses ie the rifle loading presses, I have plenty of that gear 

8 hours ago, 3175darren said:

I don’t  need nothing technical , it’s getting one over here, I am going to email them I think, if you don’t mind me asking what powders do you use, and have you tried to load say steel, you would think some one would come up with a set dies for the lee presses ie the rifle loading presses, I have plenty of that gear 

Never loaded steel into a 410.

I've used Alliant greendot! ONLY SPECIAL 1/4OZ LOAD FOR THE GARDEN ONLY!

H110 and Alliant 2400 were my go to powders.

Dies really are not needed.

Sometimes a sizing ring is needed for the metal cap but the plastic tube can not be resized.

In fact the plastic often swells and makes the case useless.

410 Chambers seem to be quite large and parallel 

I have used 444Marlin brass in the past. Sometimes the rim has to have its leading edge turned down a little. It works sort of but the lack of crimp makes building pressure up troublesome.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Never loaded steel into a 410.

I've used Alliant greendot! ONLY SPECIAL 1/4OZ LOAD FOR THE GARDEN ONLY!

H110 and Alliant 2400 were my go to powders.

Dies really are not needed.

Sometimes a sizing ring is needed for the metal cap but the plastic tube can not be resized.

In fact the plastic often swells and makes the case useless.

410 Chambers seem to be quite large and parallel 

I have used 444Marlin brass in the past. Sometimes the rim has to have its leading edge turned down a little. It works sort of but the lack of crimp makes building pressure up troublesome.

I have seen on utube people fire forming 303 brass for 410, and I know magtech do them, although not the 3 inch shells, I would like to load the 18 grm no 6’s or 5’s , I seem to use mine all the time for decoying crow and around buildings and such, I am worried when we have to use steel loads, I know that’s not a immediate concern , however my gun choke combination is spot on for me , I don’t want to have to take the full choke out, so I will look around for a unsilenced barrel for it, I see TSS shot is becoming available and I think it will be interesting to dabble with the loads abit , I know it’s all been done before,

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I think it will be a long time before all lead shot is phased out.

I am hopefully that when laws are made this time that some exemptions are made for unique calibres and muzzleloading guns.

Here’s hoping mate