• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not kill but possibly catch something like this?  Probably not quite right with the exact details. Very possibly nowhere near!?   But it might give you some  ideas to play with . ?

Here a few examples from the US Trap Museum  

Yes, you and ken are correct.  It is a snare. The loop went over the trigger pan and was attached to each end bar that springs out. Apparently to catch and hold a rabbit by the leg. Had a better look

Posted Images

Okay. I've mulled this one, in my head, all day. It's extremely difficult to figure much out from a few, two dimensional looking photo's.

But, I have a pretty good idea that was a Foot Snare. Come at it that way.

Get some string and a length of hose pipe. Make a loop of the string (It possibly used a thin chain, originally. But, no matter) Attach the loop however seems like a good idea, with the advantage of having the trap in ye hands.

With the trap looking about set, poke the hose down on the pan. See what happens.

All is not always as it might seem. The better known " Aldrich Foot Snare " model had a tendency to throw awkwardly, when fired. Ye would never have realised that by staring at it.

Alternatively? Find that patent. It'll explain everything, in a clear, long handed manner.

On 15/02/2022 at 17:37, Ratmanwan3 said:

Afew more pics showing it set, sprung and the trigger pan. I think the wording is paiges patent and 'the humane' at the bottom.

Still cant work out how it would kill tho ?

20220215_170013.jpg

20220215_170102.jpg

20220215_170113.jpg

Not kill but possibly catch something like this? 

Probably not quite right with the exact details. Very possibly nowhere near!?   But it might give you some  ideas to play with . ?

20220216_204218.jpg.75b4cb514724a27cd2c561cebe78b4dc.jpg20220216_204126.jpg.5b01ac44b314c7a685af96a05893b5f9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yes, you and ken are correct.  It is a snare. The loop went over the trigger pan and was attached to each end bar that springs out. Apparently to catch and hold a rabbit by the leg. Had a better look today and the is the remnant of a brass wire on one end.

Also spoke to another collector who knows far more than me, straight away he told me what it was, approx age, 1920s and value.

Thanks all for your input.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Ratmanwan3 said:

Yes, you and ken are correct.  It is a snare. The loop went over the trigger pan and was attached to each end bar that springs out. Apparently to catch and hold a rabbit by the leg. Had a better look today and the is the remnant of a brass wire on one end.

Also spoke to another collector who knows far more than me, straight away he told me what it was, approx age, 1920s and value.

Thanks all for your input.

If you find time to rig it up as it should be lt would be great if you could post a picture or just PM one to Ken.  All the best

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Ratmanwan3 said:

approx age, 1920s

That's interesting then :hmm: Notice the patent I showed above happened to be from the twenties? And, I don't know if it mentions it, in that tiny excerpt, but; That too is a form of powered snare. (Actually, I think I might have shown the actual trap, on another thread here?)

I wonder what kicked off, back then, to suddenly have everyone coming out with spring snares?

I wonder how your advisor priced that one, compared to a Fenn Mk I Vermin :laugh:

2 hours ago, mackem said:

I had an inkling it was some form of foot snare, but way over complicated. 

Alot of these traps are over complicated, the length of the trap is 20 inches sprung, in what situation would you use a trap this long to snare a rabbit ? It doesn't make any sense. They are so rare because they were crap at what they were supposed to do so got thrown on the scrap heap !

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

That's interesting then :hmm: Notice the patent I showed above happened to be from the twenties? And, I don't know if it mentions it, in that tiny excerpt, but; That too is a form of powered snare. (Actually, I think I might have shown the actual trap, on another thread here?)

I wonder what kicked off, back then, to suddenly have everyone coming out with spring snares?

I wonder how your advisor priced that one, compared to a Fenn Mk I Vermin :laugh:

The chap I asked is an avid collector and dealer.  Same chap who i sold the sara to and he paid me very well for that. That was another trap that was well over engineered.  You could imagine it shaking itself to bits when it fired !

It's only worth what someone wants to pay, but this ones not for sale.

18 minutes ago, mackem said:

I am sure there are black bear foot snare contraptions here that long ?

Aldrich? They came in different sizes for different creatures.

I had quite the thing for foot snares, once upon a time. Still got a crate of various, weird and wonderful, things here.

57 minutes ago, Ratmanwan3 said:

The sara ... That was another trap that was well over engineered.  You could imagine it shaking itself to bits when it fired !

https://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/395981-old-traps/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-5081096

" The " Sara " Rabbit Trap. Lane loved those things (Irony) Though, I don't really think he was completely wrong about them, in honesty.

Basically saying they were an impractical, over engineered piece of junk that would smash and rattle themselves to bits in short order.

They probably did. And that's why they're as rare as hens teeth now ;) "

Mm. 'Kay.

• Like 1