The big lad's getting dog aggressive, anyone got any tips?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting the idea of gameness and aggression, greyhounds are game, they will drive their bodies to destruction to get contact with their quarry, well past the point most dogs would throw the towel

If the dog is that way inclined no amount of hidings will stop it. Either learn to live with it or don't. 

Let’s all just take a moment to show appreciation that Greb has had no input in this thread or it could be 1000x more cringe haha 

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I'm guessing this always happens when he's on a leash. Am I right?

Aye 90% of it's on lead.

15 hours ago, gamerooster said:

Has he got bull or wheaten in him?

1/8th bull.

13 hours ago, green lurchers said:

How old is dog mate 

Nearly 3.

9 hours ago, gamerooster said:

If the dog is that way inclined no amount of hidings will stop it.

Either learn to live with it or don't. 

I'm not one for giving dogs a beating like, I see it the same way, beating a dog don't change it. I can deal, just a shame to have to stop working him with mates dogs. f****r can wait in the van lol.

7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

If it's terrier or bull blooded good luck. Probably extra territorial living in such a small area as a boat. In the dog's mind it's doing it's job. Muzzle him in public and use him as a one out dog when hunting.

Hadn't thought of that tbf. He's only ran doubled up once with me when he got tried on new quarry, and the only dog he can stand to work with now is my bitch. 

Appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Didnt expect some magic work around but at least Im not going mad like.

I'll keep on as I am and keep him out of trouble. Hes too good a dog to ever pass up on and if this is his only shortcoming, I can live with it and accept he is what he is, just wanted to make sure there's nowt I can do to try help hi.

As always, cheers fellas!

• Like 2

i have a dutch shepard now for 9yrs,as a pup of 5mts he was showing a lot off signs off dominance going up to dogs of 8  10 12 mts of age standing with paws on them and circling around them that sort of thing ,good friend of mine trains these types of dogs and dose classes for pups,he pointed out to me what the problem was that i already knew,i worked on the pup every saturday for best part of 4 mts mixing with other pups of all ages .8yrs on still the same problem very dog aggressive along with any thing small that moves quickly.my yard set up caters for a dog like this with plenty of enclosed space and he dose a great job,never had an incident with him .shock collars will only do so much,i for one would not depend on one if your dog was like mine.lead walking all the time if your out and about.. 

IMG_0873.JPG

Edited by stonewall
  • Like 1

You boys saying its got bull n wheaton so to be expected need to give your heads a shake its a lurcher ! Had bull greyhounds that had the odd kennel fight but were brand new out n about having fighters is no good to me i like bit of bushing n that and not worrying about a terrier getting broke apart over a kill

• Like 2

I had Russells from old working lines, they were very good at their job but could only work one out, even ratting due to being very dog aggressive but never human aggressive. I wouldn't have parted with them at any cost, they were what they were and no training would correct this.

1 hour ago, C.green said:

You boys saying its got bull n wheaton so to be expected need to give your heads a shake its a lurcher ! Had bull greyhounds that had the odd kennel fight but were brand new out n about having fighters is no good to me i like bit of bushing n that and not worrying about a terrier getting broke apart over a kill

pet bulls mate ?

a bull will try and kill other dogs from 6 week old you won’t get it out of it but once you take this away you don’t have any bull characteristics really just strong with a good bite why some big strong dogs jack on a fox ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

pet bulls mate ?

a bull will try and kill other dogs from 6 week old you won’t get it out of it but once you take this away you don’t have any bull characteristics really just strong with a good bite why some big strong dogs jack on a fox ? 

Utter twoddle

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Worst I've seen for dog aggression are the black terriers? chocolate's are complete opposite...roll over when another dog approached them?

If you can live with it ,then that's up to you..I have with dogs in the past...it's no fun in the long run.....affects who/ where/what you do?

• Like 2

Some folk on here need to give themselves a day off ? 

If it’s got bull in is it’s going to be dog aggressive especially if it’s good bull blood...... ? 

That’s a load of shite. 

Of course you do just get the odd dog that way inclined, but most of it is rearing, an unfortunate event in life, or handling .... or a combination of those. 

As much as giving a dog a hiding isn’t nice, sometimes you have to stamp down hard on behaviours early in order to stop it in its tracks. You’re boss, no ifs, no butts. 

Usually once the behaviour is entrenched then you’re goosed and it’s not going anywhere.

Ive got a whole range of bull blooded dogs and have had plenty others in my life. They would all finish a fight if required and none were shrinking violets. I wouldn’t kennel any with a terrier for example or leave them alone for a day in the kitchen with a puppy. But I expect them to behave.

Only one can be a c**t with strange dogs and she’s 13 and mostly blind. 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

? or ye mate you can pen a game bred bull with other dogs no bother ? 

The bitch i had was alright with other dogs till one showed aggression then it was on. The 2 dogs meant business all day every day. 

Gamebred bulls aren't always mental but id never leave one unsupervised with a dog.

• Like 3