The big lad's getting dog aggressive, anyone got any tips?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting the idea of gameness and aggression, greyhounds are game, they will drive their bodies to destruction to get contact with their quarry, well past the point most dogs would throw the towel

If the dog is that way inclined no amount of hidings will stop it. Either learn to live with it or don't. 

Let’s all just take a moment to show appreciation that Greb has had no input in this thread or it could be 1000x more cringe haha 

Posted Images

Interesting the idea of gameness and aggression, greyhounds are game, they will drive their bodies to destruction to get contact with their quarry, well past the point most dogs would throw the towel in but not overly aggressive as a rule. Aggression is a different thing and as has been noted it doesn’t always collate with gameness and many aggressive dogs that start a fight don’t like to get it back.

Fighting bred dogs are different, I don’t mean bull crosses from non fighting lines, but real fighting dogs. I’ve posted before about one I had, bull and wheaten that  had grandsires on both sides  used in the pit. He was ok for a year or so but once he started he was a nightmare, those who have dogs that fight ain’t seen nothing, he didn’t fight other dogs, he killed them, trust me when you see it its completely different.  That was part of him, not nurture just pure nature, all bar one of his litter were put down for the same and the one not was kept locked up in a shed.

Aggressive lurchers are capable of doing a lot of damage but its not gameness it aggression and is just as likely to come from collie ancestors as any bull in their make up.

• Like 13
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Interesting the idea of gameness and aggression, greyhounds are game, they will drive their bodies to destruction to get contact with their quarry, well past the point most dogs would throw the towel in but not overly aggressive as a rule. Aggression is a different thing and as has been noted it doesn’t always collate with gameness and many aggressive dogs that start a fight don’t like to get it back.

Fighting bred dogs are different, I don’t mean bull crosses from non fighting lines, but real fighting dogs. I’ve posted before about one I had, bull and wheaten that  had grandsires on both sides  used in the pit. He was ok for a year or so but once he started he was a nightmare, those who have dogs that fight ain’t seen nothing, he didn’t fight other dogs, he killed them, trust me when you see it its completely different.  That was part of him, not nurture just pure nature, all bar one of his litter were put down for the same and the one not was kept locked up in a shed.

Aggressive lurchers are capable of doing a lot of damage but its not gameness it aggression and is just as likely to come from collie ancestors as any bull in their make up.

so would you say the greyhound has enough all it needs from a bull is a bit a size stronger mouth and abit a stamina 

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You do realise lots of folk use bull for other reasons than just being hard / game?

Having said that I don’t think you will find a x with the same level or drive and determination when the chips are down. 

id say it’s use to give a bit a stamina stronger mouth bit a size 

the greyhound has everything else needed if you want a dog that is 100 mile an hour reckless and will get into out 

Edited by mC HULL
9 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

id say it’s use to give a bit a stamina stronger mouth bit a size 

the greyhound has everything else needed if you want a dog that is 100 mile an hour reckless and will get into out 

I like it for biddablity, loyalty, ease of training, running style, intelligence, nose ...... as well as the grit and determination. I like a sensible bull x to a point. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I like it for biddablity, loyalty, ease of training, running style, intelligence, nose ...... as well as the grit and determination. I like a sensible bull x to a point. 

they are biddable with a bit a bull in mate 

i think most types show loyalty if your out with them you get a good bond 

running style is just greyhound though i think the determination grit is also a lot to do with a greyhound 

58 minutes ago, sandymere said:

like said sandy , that kelpiex collie x grey bitch i had was pure evil animal . one day i was mooching in field well away from the public  path, a beagle type dog cam from god knows , went up to the bitch who was loose marking the edge . well i think the beagle thing was friendly , but the bitch went bang right into , got it round side of the head , a bloke + woman came running down path   shouting , the bloke tried to pull her off his dog, his mrs  screaming  going mad. the pair of them couldnt get her of there dog, this bitch was  about 23 in 50 odd lb , light brown in color she was more like pit than a lurcher , she was very strong animal . i got them out of the way, and put my lead round the bitch neck,  and strangled the  twat of it , took  couple mins but got her off , i was bought up with staffs  when a kid, our staffs were more pits of to day. yeh this bitch was bad news, she was fine with me, but nobody else she growled at my wife and son, like said i pts   best place for animal like that , having big soft dog like Buck is,  who great with people and dogs ,  is the kind of animal to have deff .

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

come on @Big Ron you like a lump ? 

just not me ? 

I don’t dislike u , I find you breed blind and come out with shit most of the time but don’t dislike you mate ? ?

I can’t be arsed to comment on a lot of the drivel wrote on here if honest , I’ve owned bull x lurchers from 1/2s to coursing bulls and had some not so bad ones , I’ve run them all over the UK on everything and they haven’t or don’t do so bad for me , their not everyone’s cup of tea I get that but I don’t try to make out they are like you , coursing dogs have they place and won’t be beaten on their prey a hare but I’ve said before anything bigger than a Roe most will struggle through one thing or other 

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

check your pms, i sent you one ?

2 minutes ago, Big Ron said:

I don’t dislike u , I find you breed blind and come out with shit most of the time but don’t dislike you mate ? ?

I can’t be arsed to comment on a lot of the drivel wrote on here if honest , I’ve owned bull x lurchers from 1/2s to coursing bulls and had some not so bad ones , I’ve run them all over the UK on everything and they haven’t or don’t do so bad for me , their not everyone’s cup of tea I get that but I don’t try to make out they are like you , coursing dogs have they place and won’t be beaten on their prey a hare but I’ve said before anything bigger than a Roe most will struggle through one thing or other 

i’ve seen had some great fun with them myself ron but i think there just like a greyhound but a bit stronger and stronger mouth some even take off like them 

your not trying for a bigger bull terrier your trying for a greyhound abit stronger with a bit more stamina 

or i could be talking shite again ? ?