The big lad's getting dog aggressive, anyone got any tips?

Title says it all really, I know there's some decent knowledge on here so looking for advice.

The dogs been with me for nearly 6 months and has always been cranky with other dogs, but it's getting stupid. Started with just big or intact dogs, then anything black, now it's almost every fecking hound regardless of gender. 

Thought it might a lack of work initially but he's been on the lamp averaging twice a week since he got in shape, and it ain't made a difference. I've been doing corrective and positive reinforcement the entire time but ain't getting anywhere.

Otherwise, behaviourally and with commands he's spot on. Knows his place in the house and is soft as a barrel of grease with people. 

He's a working dog before walking, but living on a boat in a marina means even just taking him out for a shite puts dogs infront of us.

I've got a muzzle on order yesterday but I'm happy to admit I just ain't got the experience with male dogs to know what the lad needs so I'll take any advice.

Tia.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting the idea of gameness and aggression, greyhounds are game, they will drive their bodies to destruction to get contact with their quarry, well past the point most dogs would throw the towel

If the dog is that way inclined no amount of hidings will stop it. Either learn to live with it or don't. 

Let’s all just take a moment to show appreciation that Greb has had no input in this thread or it could be 1000x more cringe haha 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, 3dumb said:

Title says it all really, I know there's some decent knowledge on here so looking for advice.

The dogs been with me for nearly 6 months and has always been cranky with other dogs, but it's getting stupid. Started with just big or intact dogs, then anything black, now it's almost every fecking hound regardless of gender. 

Thought it might a lack of work initially but he's been on the lamp averaging twice a week since he got in shape, and it ain't made a difference. I've been doing corrective and positive reinforcement the entire time but ain't getting anywhere.

Otherwise, behaviourally and with commands he's spot on. Knows his place in the house and is soft as a barrel of grease with people. 

He's a working dog before walking, but living on a boat in a marina means even just taking him out for a shite puts dogs infront of us.

I've got a muzzle on order yesterday but I'm happy to admit I just ain't got the experience with male dogs to know what the lad needs so I'll take any advice.

Tia.

How old is dog mate 

Follow the above advice and stop it dead because if you don't you end up with a fit adult big dog that if worked knows how to handle its self and get even bigger for his boots. Then next thing it starts seeing other dogs on the menu then you basically have a useless dog that is a risk 

Next time he starts..drop kick the cnut by his bollocks off the jetty and into the water?...I should think 3/4 times and he get the message...if not,one behind its ear...can't pass a dog like that on imo...and certainly no fun needing eyes in your arse ?

• Like 1

Get a pal who has a calm dog to do some corrective training with positive reinforcement, some where private then it's on your terms, some videos online, most likely not a short term fix depending on his level of aggression, as gamerooster said you may have to choose but at least you can say you tried.

Few lads on here haven't got a clue, kept bull terriers for years. No amount of beatings would of stopped them from being dog aggressive.

If the dog is a good worker, either accept him for what he is or give him to someone who knows how to handle a dog like that.

• Like 7