Russia Ukraine WW3

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 2022, a crack long distance unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the general talk section of th

I'm going to my bunker, can someone pm me when it's safe to come out. 

Kim jong un … xi of China and putin didn’t know what to make of trump … would he bomb them would he ban all imports from their country would he massively sanction them … and that uncertainty i what st

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

So the only point in EU nations having a military at all is to appease the US in NATO? I didn't say NATO would be split, simply that if the EU nations fully or at least significantly integrated then they would not be dependant on NATO for their defence, they could act unilaterally and independently but still be in NATO. They have all of the might needed to do that if they had the will to integrate. Look at the combined assets, manpower and industrial base of EU nations, it's very significant and could very easily replace NATO for their own purposes. 

You're reading things into my post I didn't say.

I didn't say YOU said NATO would split, I'm inferring that their are politicians in the EU that would like to leave NATO and replace it with a EU Army.

In MY opinion, a EU Army, outside of NATO, and without US/UK support, would have neither the military capability or political will to oppose a Russian invasion of a EU member country. 

They have been extremely reluctant to meet their financial obligations to NATO up to now. Of course the invasion of Ukraine may change that, but who knows.

Also, would a France, in a EU army, but outside NATO, be willing to press the nuclear button in the event of a Russian invasion of, say, Latvia ?

I personally doubt it.

Cheers.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Also, would a France, in a EU army, but outside NATO, be willing to press the nuclear button in the event of a Russian invasion of, say, Latvia ?

I personally doubt it.

Would the US? The same questions over nuclear deterrence in an alliance remain. I think European countries would be more willing to act, if they had the command structure, given it's on their continent than the US would.

16 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

You're reading things into my post I didn't say.

I didn't say YOU said NATO would split, I'm inferring that their are politicians in the EU that would like to leave NATO and replace it with a EU Army.

In MY opinion, a EU Army, outside of NATO, and without US/UK support, would have neither the military capability or political will to oppose a Russian invasion of a EU member country.

I genuinely don't know what you are basing that on other than a history of negativity towards European defence spending. The EU member states have considerable and full spectrum military capability with a fantastic industrial base to sustain it. I agree they lack will to integrate, which is what provoked my original question. I wonder how long that will last in the face of current events. You don't believe it but they have all they need to make a very capable NATO-esque force for defence of the continent. If they integrated then they would double that effectiveness through the efficiencies of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

Rather than EU leaders looking to NATO exercises and realising the benefits of their dependence on it I think they will be looking to them and thinking it's time they weren't dependent.

Edited by Born Hunter
38 minutes ago, kanny said:
NEWS.SKY.COM

Ben Spann tells Sky News he did not tell his wife or teenage son that he was going to Ukraine to...

download.jpeg

That’s what can happen after a weekend on the sniff and completing COD5  in one sitting with no sleep ?

• Haha 5
12 minutes ago, Francie said:

What's you reckon is the ambassador lying or telling the truth?

Was ukraines gov bombing there own people in doesn't the last eight years?

The Ukraine government has been fighting Russian backed separatists for years, don't know if that's the same as bombing their own people.

Cheers.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, sandymere said:

FB_IMG_1647357481122.jpg.ab99d38d63e534c70a7370b5768fc518.jpg

Admit it Sandy, you seethe with impotent rage every time you see Mr Brexit himself, deserves a knighthood at the very least does Sir Nigel ??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, sandymere said:
WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM

"Hiding in plain sight for years", LBC presenter James O'Brien tweeted as the 2019 vote does the rounds on social...

I take your Sir Nigel and raise you an abbotpotamus ?

WWW.GBNEWS.UK

The former shadow home secretary backed the Russian narrative and said that Nato...

• Haha 7
  • IanB changed the title to Russia Ukraine WW3