Russia Ukraine WW3

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In 2022, a crack long distance unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the general talk section of th

I'm going to my bunker, can someone pm me when it's safe to come out. 

True story, I knew a lad lived in a flat who had a bedroom for his horticultural interests, I phoned him when he was at home and said "Mate, make sure your extraction is on point, the bizzies are flyi

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, terryd said:

I reckon Ukraine getting more help than is being let on which makes sense obviously. Russia's pride and joy is over there
go and point a couple of these at it. That should do the trick  

Makes you wonder if it was the Ukrainian  Neptune  missile or something else that did this ship over ...

WWW.SHEPHARDMEDIA.COM

The UK has announced it will supply Ukraine with anti-ship missiles.

3 minutes ago, kanny said:

Makes you wonder if it was the Ukrainian  Neptune  missile or something else that did this ship over ...

WWW.SHEPHARDMEDIA.COM

The UK has announced it will supply Ukraine with anti-ship missiles.

I’ve read into this when it was announced. Unfortunately the UKs anti ship missile options are a bit lacking. For small small enemy ships (fast attack up to corvette) we have a number of either operational or well developed options, sea venom/sea spear/martlet. But in the heavyweight category we only have the obsolete harpoon, with any home grown replacement 10 years away from being operational! It’s a bit of a sore point. Harpoon seems to be on par with Neptune.

For land attack the RAF have the storm shadow, and in good numbers, but that is not designed to target ships. Now that’s not to say the likes of DSTL or the like haven’t worked on some sort of bodge quietly for desperate times. It’d certainly explain the MoDs seemingly mad capability holiday…

So it seems a bit of a head scratcher as to what the UK could have provided them in this instance other than old fashioned tactical and technical ingenuity.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, terryd said:

I reckon Ukraine getting more help than is being let on which makes sense obviously. Russia's pride and joy is over there
go and point a couple of these at it. That should do the trick  

From a weapons product development point of view, it’s a perfect field test opportunity. If successful it’s a great story for sales and marketing.

Despite left wing scoffs to the contrary, the UK is visibly front and centre on the world stage with supporting Ukraine. Standing by our obligations of the Budapest memorandum and standing by a nation we had deals with bolsters soft power. It makes other nations looking to align with a global power value the UK. If they enter a trade deal with us they are confident we will provide some muscle if things get a bit hot for them. If they are looking for guarantor’s for a treaty it puts the UK higher up the list and so we can leverage that to our advantage.

And finally, Russia are a regional adversary, this is a good opportunity to degrade their military and test their real capability. There’s a reason NATO intelligence planes have been flying intensively since the first signs of this and it’s not just to provide actionable intel to Ukraine. They’ll be soaking up everything they can to help expand their databases of weapons signatures etc to better develop our own tactics and technology.

Rightly or wrongly.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I’ve read into this when it was announced. Unfortunately the UKs anti ship missile options are a bit lacking. For small small enemy ships (fast attack up to corvette) we have a number of either operational or well developed options, sea venom/sea spear/martlet. But in the heavyweight category we only have the obsolete harpoon, with any home grown replacement 10 years away from being operational! It’s a bit of a sore point. Harpoon seems to be on par with Neptune.

For land attack the RAF have the storm shadow, and in good numbers, but that is not designed to target ships. Now that’s not to say the likes of DSTL or the like haven’t worked on some sort of bodge quietly for desperate times. It’d certainly explain the MoDs seemingly mad capability holiday…

So it seems a bit of a head scratcher as to what the UK could have provided them in this instance other than old fashioned tactical and technical ingenuity.

I love all these names……”Harpoon”, “Sea Venom”……

I think I may change my name to “Storm Shadow”……that would be amazing ! Lol 

15 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Warspite still makes me tingle. :wub:

I am going to announce “I am the storm !” Every time I enter any room or building ! 

• Haha 3
  • IanB changed the title to Russia Ukraine WW3