Harness for terriers

Not a fan at all, why have any dog pulling your arm off, with no interest in you. You have no control. The idiots I see with dogs in harnesses pulling their arm off is unreal these days. How is that an enjoyable walk, especially if you intend on that dog being walked for the next 10 plus years...

Just teach basic lead manners and have a lovely life together...

10 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Not a fan at all, why have any dog pulling your arm off, with no interest in you. You have no control. The idiots I see with dogs in harnesses pulling their arm off is unreal these days. How is that an enjoyable walk, especially if you intend on that dog being walked for the next 10 plus years...

Agreed. 

Problem I've got is he was good as gold on the lead. Take him out to work on rat a few times then everytime he's out on a walk since, fecker just wants to go ?

1 minute ago, TheRatMan said:

Agreed. 

Problem I've got is he was good as gold on the lead. Take him out to work on rat a few times then everytime he's out on a walk since, fecker just wants to go ?

Needs to learn that ratting and getting to the place to rat are two different things... ?

1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Spot on ?

Cheers, D.

Try it and see what happens. I found this bellend was better on a harness, only a thin type thing not one of those big padded ones. When I first started letting her off and ratting etc it was also better to grab and hold on to. Now she's settled down I only use a leather collar. 

They seem to stop some dogs pulling while other get their shoulder into them and think they are a fckin husky 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Try it and see what happens. I found this bellend was better on a harness, only a thin type thing not one of those big padded ones. When I first started letting her off and ratting etc it was also better to grab and hold on to. Now she's settled down I only use a leather collar. 

They seem to stop some dogs pulling while other get their shoulder into them and think they are a fckin husky 

If you give them a big yank on a collar there's chance of doing damage. Not so much with a harness. I've never used a harness. ? 

Cheers, D.

2 hours ago, TheRatMan said:

Right so I bought a little harness for the lad. 

Completely different dog. No pulling and walks to heel. 

Anyone reckon that I keep him on this to get his walking in order then switch back to collar and lead in a few months? 

Cheers 

Sounds sensible ? 

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheRatMan said:

Right so I bought a little harness for the lad. 

Completely different dog. No pulling and walks to heel. 

Anyone reckon that I keep him on this to get his walking in order then switch back to collar and lead in a few months? 

Cheers 

Just see how you get on. Do what suits you and the dog. 

Nothing worse than being stood listening to hounds and there is 6 lads with terriers on couples choking themselves. Even worse in the old days waiting for a bolt and all the terriers pulling on collars. 

Don't use collars just because a big leather collar looks the part. Yes teach dogs manners but accept terriers are designed to be single minded. 

Try and use both and what suits you 

• Like 1