On the moles

38 minutes ago, dillydog said:

Anyone come across the myth and legend of the moles dying on marshmallows  ?

A few farms I've done have asked and a few private jobs have told me their mates swear by it !

I have herd of it but not tried it personally. 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms

Checking traps today and Two albinos from the same field.  

Future catcher in the making. Will undercut the lot of us as well. 10 moles for a yogurt.  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, dillydog said:

A few farms I've done have asked and a few private jobs have told me their mates swear by it !

Yes I have heard it on here before, some say it works well.

9 hours ago, dillydog said:

I think if was so good your private jobs be buying a bag of marshmallow not paying you to do job mate

• Haha 1

f**k the moles I have caught thousands of the f***ing things my traps a redundant now waiting on two new knee s I should chuck them on here for someone starting up theirs a lot of new duffas traps here and dibbers aswell as spades if I got time over the next few days I will post wat I got 

• Like 3

Very poor week for me, still to do my final lift tomorrow but "jesus" I've never had so many flooded tunnels.  I'm not talking the odd sink hole, every single bit of every system I could find, where do the bloody things get to

15 minutes ago, dillydog said:

Very poor week for me, still to do my final lift tomorrow but "jesus" I've never had so many flooded tunnels.  I'm not talking the odd sink hole, every single bit of every system I could find, where do the bloody things get to

Move to dryer ground I think,  still bang traps in moles will still work the runs had moles in flooded runs many times ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dillydog said:

I remember last year it was torrential rain and we were setting high on Dartmoor. I remember opening a tunnel and it was literally a full tube of running water, gushing like a spring and my mate said you are never going to set that? I did and over night the rain had subsided, the moles then rush in to clear the tunnels. In the morning I had a mole in that trap and when I lifted it to reset it the tube was clear and reasonably dry!

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

I remember last year it was torrential rain and we were setting high on Dartmoor. I remember opening a tunnel and it was literally a full tube of running water, gushing like a spring and my mate said you are never going to set that? I did and over night the rain had subsided, the moles then rush in to clear the tunnels. In the morning I had a mole in that trap and when I lifted it to reset it the tube was clear and reasonably dry!

Some say it mole can get it's nose out of water thay will work the runs ?

• Like 1

I've caught plenty in flooded tubes, tubes that were literally running too, but there was always dry higher parts to the system.......couldn't find a single piece that was dry this time. I set anyway,  gave them a few days and nothing,  no backfills, no catches, they've left home till summer ? 

• Like 1

Not as bad as I thought,  picked 48 up today, the high bits of fields yielded a few, a few wet runs still caught......lined them up and got talking to the farmer and forgot to take a picture  !

Badgers stole two, weasels had another (run still shut but the trap and mole were gone)

Another thing I had today was a missed catch in one trap, though there was a stone in the bloody thing and it was a moles tail ? 

The very next trap just ten yards up the field I got the freshly docked mole, not so lucky second time around 

20230325_110548.jpg

• Like 2
On 24/03/2023 at 15:21, dillydog said:

i have been doing great trapping travel runs on the dyke kests with the fields being saturated, putange in that situation for me, been getting loads of doubles

• Like 2
On 25/03/2023 at 17:24, dillydog said:

Not as bad as I thought,  picked 48 up today, the high bits of fields yielded a few, a few wet runs still caught......lined them up and got talking to the farmer and forgot to take a picture  !

Badgers stole two, weasels had another (run still shut but the trap and mole were gone)

Another thing I had today was a missed catch in one trap, though there was a stone in the bloody thing and it was a moles tail ? 

The very next trap just ten yards up the field I got the freshly docked mole, not so lucky second time around 

20230325_110548.jpg

Went back to pick up two resets, the farmer had kept the moles so I got my picture, plus two fresh moles bottom right

20230327_151745.jpg

• Like 4