On the moles

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms

Checking traps today and Two albinos from the same field.  

Future catcher in the making. Will undercut the lot of us as well. 10 moles for a yogurt.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I do a little one on a little place with a few cabins they let out. Daughter works there an I do the moles when they pop up, the big daft dopey pig is more hassle than the horse goats an chooks an stuff, always following me about an trying to root about the runs when it see’s me use probe ? they clever fcukers

Did farm bit ago farm dog came with me every day   was a grate hand dog could find moles an when lifting traps no mark from dog field done dog marked I put trap in an got mole next day ?20220131_114606.jpg.f3e64eadc158cdf4dd6f37296afd1953.jpg

• Like 5
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

My kelpie cross is same ? Plummer tried to dig the cnuts up an makes a mess ☹️

Asked farmer if could hire the dog put her on pay roll he just laughed an said she'd go with you she walks off with hill walker all time or takes her self to village ??

11 hours ago, tank34 said:

Did farm bit ago farm dog came with me every day   was a grate hand dog could find moles an when lifting traps no mark from dog field done dog marked I put trap in an got mole next day ?20220131_114606.jpg.f3e64eadc158cdf4dd6f37296afd1953.jpg

My Wirehaired pointer was pointing all traps that had a mole in,lol.

• Like 1

For what its worth this is what I do:- 

A few years back I realised that I was going back to the same customers over and over again sometimes twice or three times a year. Because the area I cover is so big I sometimes ended up chasing my tail if jobs over ran the typical three visits I needed to clear most gardens. So, instead of taking €150 to €200 per intervention and waiting for them to call me I suggested a flat rate of €35 per month with two visits per month to check permanent trap sites, mainly Putanges.

Now I work three days a fortnight. Each day involves 16 or 17 visits arranged in routes so that travelling time is minimised and the customers know to within half an hour when I will be calling. They pay annually, quarterly or monthly by cheque or direct debit and I get paid whether they have had any moles or not. In the vast majority of cases the new moles get trapped in the permanent sites, but if they come in by a new route I just pop a few more traps out and 99% of the time that sorts the new activity. 

I could if I wanted to expand to 5 days a fortnight just by adding the enquiries I have declined over the last three years. It is an absolute doddle and far more profitable than doing interventions and running myself ragged. 

No farm work these days. I don't miss dragging that fishing trolley loaded with traps, markers and tools all over fields. No hassle from awkward customers and regular payments coming into the bank whether I'm at work or lounging in my camping-car like I am now.  ?

• Like 5
7 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Lads at ukputange supplies come through again for me, really needed these for a little job that’s come up, really can’t fault there service, couple delivery’s over last couple days an I sorted for now ??0CFDE2FB-623A-4FBC-9C8E-601FF6EB273A.jpeg.fa1adeb235ae21045bb89a428e139f50.jpeg

I had some bits and pieces off them last week.

11 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Think that’s them sold our again, feel for the lads as they got guys waiting

I want more traps but am slowing down now can get by with what got , will wait for lads to get stock in ?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tank34 said:

Back on the moles today had week or so off sorting allotment out , first bit trapped up start other land next week , cupple of bunny about not many 20220505_092535.jpg.0346507697e31fd5a0646917f17fc6c8.jpg

The grass doesn't look too long in the pic, how are you finding the ground? It's quite dry and getting harder down here.

6 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

The grass doesn't look too long in the pic, how are you finding the ground? It's quite dry and getting harder down here.

Deep runs ground dry was hard going had a bit of rain alot of fresh hills , had livestock on now left to grow for cutting , got farms stock fields todo next , ants ,  wasps an bee removing now it's warming up ?

1 minute ago, tank34 said:

Deep runs ground dry was hard going had a bit of rain alot of fresh hills , had livestock on now left to grow for cutting , got farms stock fields todo next , ants ,  wasps an bee removing now it's warming up ?

Sounds like your going to be busy. Keep the posts coming, happy days!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...