On the moles

27 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Putanges definitely ideal, now that they've started cutting ? Just finished my last Golfie, recently, & billed ! As you say if an odd one comes back in,etc, in near tee or green, they'll maybe phone me & then can be a big walk for only one !  ?

It's raining so cupple of days there be plenty about its on a moor is golf course never ending 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms

Checking traps today and Two albinos from the same field.  

Future catcher in the making. Will undercut the lot of us as well. 10 moles for a yogurt.  

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

?, one of the greenkeepers reckons them cutting regular in season, helps keep the moles at bay, am not so sure, right enough ? 

I don't think it would maybe he don't see hills as much with cutting most just go over mole hills flatten them , I try get traps in rought  side of greens get moles before coming into feed save on traps been back filled as cutter knocks soil in runs an moles have to clean funs out ?

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, tank34 said:

I don't think it would maybe he don't see hills as much with cutting most just go over mole hills flatten them , I try get traps in rought  side of greens get moles before coming into feed save on traps been back filled as cutter knocks soil in runs an moles have to clean funs out ?

Funny enough,  only rarely get mole working on green or tee surface, raised tees, mole working round banking, at most, & usually perimeter of greens, Well there's gonna be alot of sand under them parts, & low worm ? count, probably, & ave heard they can't get the worm killing chemicals,etc, easily anymore, but  ?

Edited by earth-thrower
31 minutes ago, tank34 said:

Obviously we should be mostly on top of them, before cutting, but I have seen me catch every month of the year, on one course, in a bad year ?

56 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Funny enough,  only rarely get mole working on green or tee surface, raised tees, mole working round banking, at most, & usually perimeter of greens, Well there's gonna be alot of sand under them parts, & low worm ? count, probably, & ave heard they can't get the worm killing chemicals,etc, easily anymore, but  ?

Plenty of worm cast on greens and tees , course is kept up to cutters out most days , get bad with moles just never ending job , thinking getting GPS put traps in then leave traps in just check twice a month put bill in every month ?

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Same as if your doing a few golf courses make sure you forget summat on the regular or need to hand in an invoice, I normally do it on the busier days, an hang around car park for a bit, Iv had more than a few garden jobs off the golfers when they see me hanging about ?

When I worked as a Green keeper,I would get loads of members asking me to remove stuff from their land..they do say...a game of golf , spoils a good walk?but good place for networking and gaining permission,I still do bits and bobs for the place I left almost 20 yrs ago ?DSC_0557.JPG.6516d143bb1918cd77a977918a283b70.JPG

• Like 2
6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

The golfys I do cut everyday if year unless there’s literally snow or ponds on the ground mate, it’s a constant battle, maybe courses I do are just kept better, an if your doing courses, you at very least want a buggy off em, fcuk walking 18 holes for a mole or 2 ??

They only do essentials on greens & tees, November to March, here, I've noticed, they mostly do drainage work & path maintenance, etc (Nov/Mar) instead. Aye, that's a good point, about the golf buggies,..although they haven't all got them (& nobody offered  lol) 

6 hours ago, tank34 said:

Plenty of worm cast on greens and tees , course is kept up to cutters out most days , get bad with moles just never ending job , thinking getting GPS put traps in then leave traps in just check twice a month put bill in every month ?

Aye, a notice worm casts too, & mentioned & the head says, they can't get some of the good stuff, they used too use, before, etc , to treat it.   Keeps you in a job, your situation, anyway

Edited by earth-thrower
6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Offered haha I asked on first one am was told I’d not be covered on there insurance, i told em only way I’d take job then is if one the lads chauffeur me around ? still got job ?

Good move,....I canvassed round the golfies, around 2008, & was lucky cause most had nothing done (or tried with gas) since the Strychnine guy had to chuck it, cause of the withdrawal of it. (2006) Got around 6 , but now just have two, regular, & one or two just occasional, every couple of years, or so. (various reasons for that ?)

Edited by earth-thrower
2 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Good move,....I canvassed round the golfies, around 2008, & was lucky cause most had nothing done (or tried with gas) since the Strychnine guy had to chuck it, cause of the withdrawal of it. (2006) Got around 6 , but now just have two, regular, & one or two just occasional, every couple of years, or so. (various reasons for that ?)

Technically it was meant to be a 'grey area' I think, whether you could use the Strychnine on a golf course, you know, cause obviously the golfers/public access, etc, but I think I remember being told , it ended up ok (in Scotland) 

8 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Next time they call or you chat mention your need to use your quad as your knees are gettin ild sn they will soon offer a buggy ?

Funny, the rare conversation I had once with the travelling moley, that comes up here, with the quad,  when I mentioned about golf courses, I remember him saying  "they can keep them ! " ?,..a should have probed him more,  but the only thing I could think of, is maybe he's  a "cash in hand" only, guy,  maybe ? Ah so they really don't want mole catchers accessing with quads, generally ?

Edited by earth-thrower
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I know the w fancy ones I use near on had a heart attack when j mentioned a quad, prob why they let me use there grass friendly buggies. I was warned off them loads a times an tbh at first I did lose a few quid in profit as they had a few moles an I wa stinging me way around, but once I got on top of them they was told if it was a case of only calling me when they where over run. Them I’d be charging accordingly, whereas cal me when it’s the first one or 2 you see an it be a quick in an out 2 visits?

Yep, I get you. One of the farmers here, splits the farm,  with turf growing. The quad moleys got the main farm (I've got another of the farmers parcels of ground , nearer me.) Anyway, he won't let him do the turf fields , (not many) , cause of the quad , so I get a shout, fir them.

27 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I know the w fancy ones I use near on had a heart attack when j mentioned a quad, prob why they let me use there grass friendly buggies. I was warned off them loads a times an tbh at first I did lose a few quid in profit as they had a few moles an I was finding  me way around, but once I got on top of them they was told if it was a case of only calling me when they where over run. Then I’d be charging accordingly, whereas cal me when it’s the first one or 2 you see an it be a quick in an out 2 visits?

Katch, would you be surprised to know how much this quad moley boy, charged per farm, when he first appeared here, bout 5 year ago,......£250 !   no matter how 'black wi moles' ! , gives them a weeks attendance (still not sure if hes actually over the 5 days or 7,.......& I remember thinking then, how the f**k am I meant to compete with this now ! ? ?  lol