On the moles

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms

Checking traps today and Two albinos from the same field.  

Future catcher in the making. Will undercut the lot of us as well. 10 moles for a yogurt.  

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Cracking job, keeps the man busy ??

Thanks pal moles are keeping me busy just started big farm fields are full of mole hills 6 big cutting fields todo then his live  stock fields after ?

6 hours ago, tank34 said:

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms20220209_100331.jpg.f33094df5ef28cc423df4a56b57f40e5.jpg

A good haul there, we just picked up 61 this morning from yesterdays setting. Kept setting until we ran out of traps this afternoon, back tomorrow to check traps and finish off setting up. Like you say plenty about and farmers are keen to get them gone, happy days!

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

A good haul there, we just picked up 61 this morning from yesterdays setting. Kept setting until we ran out of traps this afternoon, back tomorrow to check traps and finish off setting up. Like you say plenty about and farmers are keen to get them gone, happy days!

Alot about this year very wet on some land tunnel been back filled talpax sorts back fill moles  out ?

1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

Picked up another 68 yesterday on the same farm, leave until Monday then roll traps we first set to last few fields. More jobs added to the list yesterday!

Some black gold you picked up on farm nice to get good number keeps farmer happy ?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, tank34 said:

Some black gold you picked up on farm nice to get good number keeps farmer happy ?

That's it make hay while the sun shines as they say. It's not so pleasant in the rain but you have to get out there and take the rough with the smooth if you want to keep the customers happy. If you leave it until the weathers fine as some suggest then you won't keep up with it and customers will soon lose faith and go elsewhere.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

That's it make hay while the sun shines as they say. It's not so pleasant in the rain but you have to get out there and take the rough with the smooth if you want to keep the customers happy. If you leave it until the weathers fine as some suggest then you won't keep up with it and customers will soon lose faith and go elsewhere.

Been very wet and field been on sheep just been moved so am in rain mud an shit most days , not been doing mole trapping long cupple of years but I enjoy doing it some jobs been very hard more mole hills then grass but l got job done an farmer was happy he had me back this year to do his other land ?

• Like 1
On 09/02/2022 at 18:37, Nicepix said:

I had 4 today, 12 for the week so far. Every little helps ?

Oooh no. I've had 14! I got a couple in my garden too. ?

Physician heal thyself!??

I've pretty much doubled my mole prices since the New Year and   become shamelessly mercenary about adding travel costs.   

I seriously hoped l would end up doing less work for a better return instead of running about trying to please everyone and ending up a well-liked but poverty stricken fool .

I've lost several long standing regulars, both farmers and domestic customers , who seemed offended by my desire to earn more than a Mc Donalds waiter .    Has it reduced the workload though ? 

No ;  the loss of people who only liked me for my reasonably priced services has been over compensated by new customers.  Clearly ignorant of my past philanthropy they seem to be the way forward.

Lesson to newby mole-catchers ; don't  undersell yourself ,think big!

20211203_212106.jpg.e4c755ce06bbf8a2f9103639d63d4537.jpg

• Like 6

I put my prices up last year to compensate for the rise in fuel prices. I lost no customers, but did get questioned by a Hyacinth Buckett type lady as to why I had the temerity to charge her 14% more. Given that diesel has gone up around double that her cross examination didn't go too deep. 

I get around 15 to 20 moles a year out of our garden. They usually come in batches of between 3 and 5 over a few days then nothing for weeks. The overwhelming majority are large moles and almost all have an orange patch on their belly.

• Like 2
On 11/02/2022 at 08:17, Moorman 1 said:

A don't know, your average rainfall, where your working,  but here in the West of Scotland,...its just not practical , on saturated ground, which is often.....too many misses, when the ground floods,...even on hillsides, traps getting sprung premature with water & debris,etc (barrels,...mines are set 'fine')...far more productive for me too wait, for it easing, & drying up a bit

On 11/02/2022 at 09:29, comanche said:

Physician heal thyself!??

I've pretty much doubled my mole prices since the New Year and   become shamelessly mercenary about adding travel costs.   

I seriously hoped l would end up doing less work for a better return instead of running about trying to please everyone and ending up a well-liked but poverty stricken fool .

I've lost several long standing regulars, both farmers and domestic customers , who seemed offended by my desire to earn more than a Mc Donalds waiter .    Has it reduced the workload though ? 

No ;  the loss of people who only liked me for my reasonably priced services has been over compensated by new customers.  Clearly ignorant of my past philanthropy they seem to be the way forward.

Lesson to newby mole-catchers ; don't  undersell yourself ,think big!

20211203_212106.jpg.e4c755ce06bbf8a2f9103639d63d4537.jpg

I agree with that approach, mate, & excellent advice, too   ? 

2 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

A don't know, your average rainfall, where your working,  but here in the West of Scotland,...its just not practical , on saturated ground, which is often.....too many misses, when the ground floods,...even on hillsides, traps getting sprung premature with water & debris,etc (barrels,...mines are set 'fine')...far more productive for me too wait, for it easing, & drying up a bit

If we waited for the dry weather here you wouldn't get anything done. We are setting every day regardless. It's a pain sometimes but we have to keep going to keep up with the demand atm otherwise the work would just snowball and we would run out of time.

• Like 1