Time for an unplanned change.

I have had my KOFS 28g shotgun for about 18 months and despite it being a joy to walk around with BUT it just is not floating my boat so keep hold of that thought. 

I was in the rfd last Tuesday to zero one of my air rifles on their in house 25mt range,  my turn to make the coffees for everyone and returning into the main shop, I saw this guy who was wanting to sell his semi auto shotgun, it didn't really interest me and I just carrried on drinking my coffee BUT then I noticed this gun had a ceracote barrel (like the look of that), interest started to be raised.........

When the deal was done and the chap had his money and left the shop.....................I slithered in, grabbed hold of the gun and took it into the range to take a closer look.  A Browning A5 Grand Passage, I have not had hold of a 'hump back' Browning for about 30 years and when I put this into the shoulder, it just felt right so a quick shout out to the shop owner to say I was taking the gun home to try.

Well having been feeling like shit for nearly a week with man flue I was desperate to get out and put a few shots through the gun both on roost shooting pigeon and at Beverly GC on some trap targets, well the latter didn't happen but today an hour on the pigeon was a revalation as this Browning was fcuking superb, so smooth in it's action as well as in the shoulder.  I have had a number of semi auto shottys but this has the smoothest bolt movement I have ever seen so needless to say I will be back in the shop on Wednesday to cut a deal with my 28g in part exchange.  I am and always will be an o/u shooter but for pigeon, duck and geese, this will be my 'go to' gun and save the Caesar Guerini for smashing the clays.

DSCF3828.JPG

DSCF3830.JPG

DSCF3832.JPG

This gun is 13 months old and is like new AND I know how much they gave him for the gun AND they owe me a favour or two so be sure this will be in my cabinet at the right price.

Phil

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Is the browning backpassage not a different  action than the original  a5?

Looks smart Phil.

Yes quite right, this is not the same recoil operated system of the original A5 where the barrel used to move backwatds to operate the action. This uses what Browning call a 'Kinetic Recoil' system which doesn't have that barrel movement and is much cleaner in operation.  The bolt assembly is very very similar to the Benelli guns, I am told. Anything else, I have to learn about..........?

Phil

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Alsone said:

Never shot a Browning Semi but I still believe out of the "ordinary" brands, Browning still make the best balanced shotties.

I by far prefer the Italian o/u guns compared to Browning / Miroku but that is a matter of taste and everyone likes different things but after owning a number of Miroku and Brownings, I just prefer the handling of Perazzi / beretta / Caesar Guerini but totally conceed with this semi auto, it's a cracker.

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

I by far prefer the Italian o/u guns compared to Browning / Miroku but that is a matter of taste and everyone likes different things but after owning a number of Miroku and Brownings, I just prefer the handling of Perazzi / beretta / Caesar Guerini but totally conceed with this semi auto, it's a cracker.

Phil

Tart....

?

• Haha 4

Job done, went into the rfd and sorted a part ex so the Browning sits nicely in my cabinet................well not quite nicely because it's too bloody long for my cabinet so it is in two halves. it will go in my wife's cabinet ( my second cabinet but she likes to call it hers with her lonely shotgun in ) which is tucked away behind all her bloody sewing / knitting/ clothes etc etc etc so pretty safe but a pain in the rear to get to so bugger it, two halves is fine ?

A short session on the pigeon the other evening, to say I was pleased with how it handles would be an understatement. I will take it up to the clay ground to try it on the Olympic Trap layout as it should not cause too much of an issue as unlike many semi autos, it doesn't spit cartridges all over the place and land up to 20 feet away, no this polite lady plops them about 4-5 feet away so shouldn't hit the guy on my right with the empty case.  In fact this was brilliant when on the pigeon as I used Eley Pigeon Select 30gr shells and being red in colour, very easy to see and pick up when finished, that was my biggest hate with past autos as it could take quite a while to find all the empties. 

Looking good so far chaps.

Phil

• Like 1
7 hours ago, philpot said:

it will go in my wife's cabinet

a pain in the rear

this polite lady plops them about 4-5 feet away 

I'm saying nothing, but Mrs philpot sounds a right sort!! ??

• Haha 4