Long nets

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No mystery to pegging out a Trad Long net Guss? Just get your End Pin in the ground, and then peel the net off the other Pin, which you hold in your hand... This type of netting is great for

I can supply you what you need, I'm a one man band and demand is high so there's always a waiting list, one of the pitfalls of supplying a great product at a good price.  I'm working on getting w

Nels0n is the man,, superb gear ,, look at the difference in depth from the usual netting,, really supple , with uniformed meshes .

Posted Images

On 11/02/2022 at 11:12, Guss33 said:

But can someone please explain the differents between a quick set net and a traditional net , l understand all the other net systems that you talk about just not sure on exactly what a traditional net is please. 

A tradional net has a running line that can be pulled through the net. Over time it does move on its own. If you start with a a splice on the end pin  and iif you was to look for it after half a dozen trips out it will have moved. It's not fixed to the net at any point, also it has no pegs fixed to it.

Thanks For all of that it looks quite like a difficult way of doing it but like said it’s easier to carry across paddocks just out of interest what would be the weigh difference with between a quick set net and the traditional system.. I am lucky on where we go as we are able to drive up to were we hunt with little or no long walks.

On 13/02/2022 at 10:59, moonlighter said:

I think the best quality comes from ‘master hunter’ nets.. give them a try, we’ll worth the money.., especially with the leaded bottom line. 

cant say as the lead foot line is needed....when the ground is uneven just drop the next peg a few inches short of being tight 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, TOMO said:

cant say as the lead foot line is needed....when the ground is uneven just drop the next peg a few inches short of being tight 

It’s maybe not needed.. but I like it. I think it’s adds a bit of extra quality… I’ve got both, with and without, and I like it, especially in strong winds. 

• Like 1

You are correct TOMO, and a heavy lead line on a big net, don't bear thinking about?

But,.. when you are working miles of hedgerows, often with sunken ditch bottoms, or bumpy old pastures, trust me, that lead line on a small 'stop net',... really does fit the bill...

However, that is just my humble opinion, and I could well be wrong....?

To be honest, the short Stop Nets have been my saviour on paid rabbit jobs,.. the customers love to see them in action,... feck crawling in dense bramble, laying copious amounts of purse nets, frequently for scant reward. 

Of course, Purse netting is ultra-productive, when the warrens are choc-full of conies, and the nets are filling as fast as you can chin 'em, but as you know, on some of the more shitty paid  jobs, there is often only a few problem shushis to cull, and we got to get on,...time is money...? 

Stay safe now Brother,...and good hunting..?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6
On 14/02/2022 at 14:24, OldPhil said:

You are correct TOMO, and a heavy lead line on a big net, don't bear thinking about?

But,.. when you are working miles of hedgerows, often with sunken ditch bottoms, or bumpy old pastures, trust me, that lead line on a small 'stop net',... really does fit the bill...

However, that is just my humble opinion, and I could well be wrong....?

To be honest, the short Stop Nets have been my saviour on paid rabbit jobs,.. the customers love to see them in action,... feck crawling in dense bramble, laying copious amounts of purse nets, frequently for scant reward. 

Of course, Purse netting is ultra-productive, when the warrens are choc-full of conies, and the nets are filling as fast as you can chin 'em, but as you know, on some of the more shitty paid  jobs, there is often only a few problem shushis to cull, and we got to get on,...time is money...? 

Stay safe now Brother,...and good hunting..?

We have quite a few long nets trammel nets and stop nets of all different sizes but the 2 I love to dig out now and again are two 25yd traditional hemp long nets that I bought off the late mick mansbridge many years ago they are still are as the day I bought em, they don’t tend to pick up as much crap off the ground as the nylon ones and they catch great, I know hemp is out of trend now but sometimes it’s good to revisit the past!! 

• Like 2

I can imagine a lead line on a longnet will have its uses especially in really windy conditions or ground that has lots of dips and bumps. But if you are stretching out hundreds of meters of long netting then I’m sure the extra weight of the lead line would soon start taking its toll. 

A lot of people who have never saw or held  a leaded line can imagine the line is all lead  this is not the case the lead is large fishing shot that as been woven into the bottom line at 12 inch intervals . I knew a chap who shot through 60 years ago and he used one on Ridge & Furrow pastures  when netting across the Grain .

• Like 3
5 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Too right Max,...I loved my Hemp Long Nets?

As you know, you have to look after them and treat, em' right,...but, those old webs were easy to work with...

All the best, OldPhil..?

IMG_3793.jpg

Hi Phil yeah I try to only give em a run out when it’s dry but I still hang um up at the end of the day anyway, we did a couple of warrens a few years ago that was under a load of bramble that the farmer had mowed down for us we tried a nylon longnet!! What a mistake took about a week to get all the crap out of it, yet micks hemp longnets did pick up a bit of crap but only a small fraction on what the nylon one did, things have moved on a lot in the 44yrs iv been ferreting most for the better but not all. Look after yourself 

• Like 1