Long nets

18 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

Over the years I have focused on short nets to strategically place and have had several from Brindred, Rabbit fever and Nelson. Although I have at least 2 of each. It's difficult to say who's work best as there's so many variables. Not least as I've used them in different weights. I find 4oz work best but snag more easily in woods so some are 6 or 8 oz. Products from those 3 businesses OK or better.  Anyone not on that list I either haven't used, but at least one business not listed out of politeness was truly shite IMO ?

thats a good post....whilst i dont have any of nelsons nets my hunting partner does....what i like about them is how light the hole set up is...one of them little baskets with a 50 yard in or two 25.s is great they really are light....if i want to critise a little....those little baskets i find difficult to use ...and the short pegs ..the end ones seem to let the end messhes go over on to the top lines....although i suspect vin should tape the end pegs up...

i have other nets from brinded...bridport...and alan salmon..(master hunter...

the brinded one is a 100 yard preset 4z in one of his baskets  ....honestly this net is very good....its great having a hundred for going round big blackberry blocks ..down a full hedge or using at night...the very big down side to this set up is the weight.....by christ you dont want to carry it....not even 2..300 yard acros a field...its no fun believe me...

the bridport was a 50 6z....but only had 50% bag so was 75 yard of net.....i imeadeatly cut 10 yard off the running lines to make it 75 yard on 40 yard of lines....but even this was not enough....i left it though..and persevered but as the years have gone on with multiple mends its now about 25..-28 yard...and another bit thats 8-9 yard.....its now a better net cut down....but not as good as the brinded for catching...

the Alan salmon was a 20 yard stop net 4z set on just two pegs one either end...it came with a 3rd peg you put where ever its needed...this wasnt in a basket but in what i can only describe as a quiver ...and you picked it up like a trad longnet using the end pegs like you would end pins on a trad...i added the spare peg and attached it properly using inertube rubbers...and also added another peg....and use it in a home made basket along with the bridport nets...this master hunter net has great pegs there made from old golf clubs so are long and very strong ...

as with all things they all have good and bad points....brindeds poles are thin and very long...i actualy put some magnum poles on each end of it...and also have magnum poles on the bridport nets....out of all the poles these are the best in my opinion they are thicker and longer than nelsons ..but of course this comes at the expence of weight and space ....

i think if i were buying any nets now i would go to nelson those nets are great for ferreting dead light and catch well....and by all acounts hes a good chap to deal with

• Like 4

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No mystery to pegging out a Trad Long net Guss? Just get your End Pin in the ground, and then peel the net off the other Pin, which you hold in your hand... This type of netting is great for

I can supply you what you need, I'm a one man band and demand is high so there's always a waiting list, one of the pitfalls of supplying a great product at a good price.  I'm working on getting w

Nels0n is the man,, superb gear ,, look at the difference in depth from the usual netting,, really supple , with uniformed meshes .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

thats a good post....whilst i dont have any of nelsons nets my hunting partner does....what i like about them is how light the hole set up is...one of them little baskets with a 50 yard in or two 25.s is great they really are light....if i want to critise a little....those little baskets i find difficult to use ...and the short pegs ..the end ones seem to let the end messhes go over on to the top lines....although i suspect vin should tape the end pegs up...

the brinded one is a 100 yard preset 4z in one of his baskets  ....honestly this net is very good....its great having a hundred for going round big blackberry blocks ..down a full hedge or using at night...the very big down side to this set up is the weight.....by christ you dont want to carry it....not even 2..300 yard acros a field...its no fun believe me...

the bridport was a 50 6z....but only had 50% bag so was 75 yard of net.....i imeadeatly cut 10 yard off the running lines to make it 75 yard on 40 yard of lines....but even this was not enough....i left it though..and persevered but as the years have gone on with multiple mends its now about 25..-28 yard...and another bit thats 8-9 yard.....its now a better net cut down....but not as good as the brinded for catching...

the Alan salmon was a 20 yard stop net 4z set on just two pegs one either end...it came with a 3rd peg you put where ever its needed...this wasnt in a basket but in what i can only describe as a quiver ...and you picked it up like a trad longnet using the end pegs like you would end pins on a trad...i added the spare peg and attached it properly using inertube rubbers...and also added another peg....and use it in a home made basket along with the bridport nets...this master hunter net has great pegs there made from old golf clubs so are long and very strong ...

as with all things they all have good and bad points....brindeds poles are thin and very long...i actualy put some magnum poles on each end of it...and also have magnum poles on the bridport nets....out of all the poles these are the best in my opinion they are thicker and longer than nelsons ..but of course this comes at the expence of weight and space ....

i think if i were buying any nets now i would go to nelson those nets are great for ferreting dead light and catch well....and by all acounts hes a good chap to deal with

Good post Tomo ? If i was starting out again i would only use Nels0ns Trammel  nets  they ideal for the land that you do up North as you say weight is a problem and i know that i cannot now manage mine but in any case the Rabbits have gone from the midlands  but if i was 60 years younger i would pick them over anything .

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

This is the man! You won’t be disappointed, I’ve mine since 2014 and still going strong, even with a bullx hitting it flat out ??get the 100 yarder in two 25s and one 50. Les suggested this to me and I’m happy I did. Far more versatile with different lengths. 

Yes mate was talking to him there getting two 25 yards ones of him and he's not Dear 

• Like 1

As strange as it sounds I no what a quick set net is and a gate net is. As I live in Australia I don’t have the advantage on what you guys ha e by walking into a shop I made my own quick set net baskets with the advice from other members on this site and it was a great information, thanks to all that helped . But can someone please explain the differents between a quick set net and a traditional net , l understand all the other net systems that you talk about just not sure on exactly what a traditional net is please. 

1 hour ago, Guss33 said:

As strange as it sounds I no what a quick set net is and a gate net is. As I live in Australia I don’t have the advantage on what you guys ha e by walking into a shop I made my own quick set net baskets with the advice from other members on this site and it was a great information, thanks to all that helped . But can someone please explain the differents between a quick set net and a traditional net , l understand all the other net systems that you talk about just not sure on exactly what a traditional net is please. 

a quick set has all the pegs (poles) attached to the net and usually comes out of a basket...

now a traditional net is different...imagine you have laid out your quick set.....then take all the poles out....so all you have is a net laid on the floor with its running lines top and bottom...

now at each end of the net you attach an end pin....this is a steel spike around 8 inch to a foot long...this spike has a rondo bit at the top....

enough of this I will find a vid on YouTube....cos I'm reading back what I'm writing and I can see it's not easy to know what I'm on about

9 minutes ago, TOMO said:

a quick set has all the pegs (poles) attached to the net and usually comes out of a basket...

now a traditional net is different...imagine you have laid out your quick set.....then take all the poles out....so all you have is a net laid on the floor with its running lines top and bottom...

now at each end of the net you attach an end pin....this is a steel spike around 8 inch to a foot long...this spike has a rondo bit at the top....

enough of this I will find a vid on YouTube....cos I'm reading back what I'm writing and I can see it's not easy to know what I'm on about

? it's easy when you know tomo. lot harder putting it into words. can you find the video of tiercel at the midland, that should help 

5 minutes ago, fred90 said:

it's called setting longnet single handed 

Yeh cam straight up when I typed that title in....now Imy not sure how to get it on here using my phone..lol

gus just go on YouTube and type in that title ...but try and watch it on a big screen on my phone the detail ain't very good..

it could also do with an explanation of what's going on ...and how it's set up...

I never got the knack of setting whilst walking ...I preferred to drop it then peg up after it was dropped...or somebody following

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

Yeh cam straight up when I typed that title in....now Imy not sure how to get it on here using my phone..lol

gus just go on YouTube and type in that title ...but try and watch it on a big screen on my phone the detail ain't very good..

it could also do with an explanation of what's going on ...and how it's set up...

I never got the knack of setting whilst walking ...I preferred to drop it then peg up after it was dropped...or somebody following

same here mate, I had this conversation with Mr Wilkes and around here(I know you are from same place). we always pegged in pairs. anyone on there own would always run out and peg back as you have said ?

No mystery to pegging out a Trad Long net Guss?

Just get your End Pin in the ground, and then peel the net off the other Pin, which you hold in your hand...

This type of netting is great for gaps when hedgerow splitting, rabbit crossing places, etc...

Sometimes in dense brash or when negotiating several fences, a Basket can become a pain, and you are far more in control when the net is in your hand.

Obviously if you are running out, hundreds of yards of mesh to surround massive warrens, the Basket method is ideal..

Give it a go Guss,.. you will enjoy the freedom...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 12
On 09/02/2022 at 12:36, TOMO said:

With you on all of that ?. I also have 2 × 50m Brinded nets, they catch very well, the but is I only put that set up in the car when I know it's needed, I have to use a fishing sack trolley for it and other kit of walking in.. You exposed my mystery no good net as well, bridport just not enough bag as sold. I saw trammel net mentioned later in thread, so I only have one short trammel, and yes it works but it's also easily tangled, my experience is the dog does a good job of minimising escapers from long nets so I don't get much for extra weight and expense of a trammel. A no dog setup probably would ?

• Like 1