.22 Hornet

10 hours ago, Deker said:

It can be a useful calibre, seems to have rather fallen out of favour over the years, don't hear much about the 17 Hornet now either, has that drifted away?

Just don't think you hear much about it now as it's no longer a new calibre. 

I'd buy the .17 over the .22 simply because if you're not handloading, there's factory ammo to be had in lovely V-Maxand it shoots  a bit flatter and reaches a bit further.

Hornet overall is an intersting calibre but it's kind of a funny calibre as it falls inbetween most other calibres. As a one size fits all compromise gun for rabbits not eaten and fox to 150-200yds, it's a good choice. However, it's a bit expensive on the rabbits and there are better choices for fox. I regard it as a kind of Urban SUV, not useless but not as good as a hatchback for urban roads nor a 4x4 for off road.

58 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Just don't think you hear much about it now as it's no longer a new calibre. 

I'd buy the .17 over the .22 simply because if you're not handloading, there's factory ammo to be had in lovely V-Maxand it shoots  a bit flatter and reaches a bit further.

Hornet overall is an intersting calibre but it's kind of a funny calibre as it falls inbetween most other calibres. As a one size fits all compromise gun for rabbits not eaten and fox to 150-200yds, it's a good choice. However, it's a bit expensive on the rabbits and there are better choices for fox. I regard it as a kind of Urban SUV, not useless but not as good as a hatchback for urban roads nor a 4x4 for off road.

It's fine on rabbits for eating loaded correctly!

• Like 1

I've been contemplating swapping my .17hmr out for a .22 hornet or .222 for the greylag here, you need to shoot em up the arse with the 17, or they just fly off, the .308 just emits red mist and a plume of feathers, and way too much expense! Pills for .22 hornet are out of stock most places, and I'm getting split necks again off the federal .17's. Then there's the 16 week wait on a variation, coz the cops are frightened of a flu and won't go to work to do their job ??

signal-2022-02-06-22-40-41-371.jpg

• Sad 1
20 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Feed it via the magazine. When you are zeroing it don't try and push feed single rounds.

Mauser actions are controlled feed. Especially with rimmed cartridges.

Happy for you. I miss my hornets.

I will keep that in mind.  I honestly thought it wouldn't of made any difference

1 hour ago, lllluke1 said:

I will keep that in mind.  I honestly thought it wouldn't of made any difference

I accidentally push fed a hornet in my 527 once and it got stuck in the chamber so I had to return home.

The extractor claw would not ride over the rim. By rights its not designed to. I beveled mine so that in the field it would if it happened again by accident. 

It is a none issue with rim less designed cases but still a controlled feed design. 

You could test your rifle to see if it is an issue.

6 hours ago, Gav said:

I've been contemplating swapping my .17hmr out for a .22 hornet or .222 for the greylag here, you need to shoot em up the arse with the 17, or they just fly off, the .308 just emits red mist and a plume of feathers, and way too much expense! Pills for .22 hornet are out of stock most places, and I'm getting split necks again off the federal .17's. Then there's the 16 week wait on a variation, coz the cops are frightened of a flu and won't go to work to do their job ??

Fmj in the 308. Or your cast loads Gav,  no good?

"I've been contemplating swapping my .17hmr out for a .22 hornet or .222 for the greylag here, you need to shoot em up the arse with the 17, or they just fly off, the .308 just emits red mist and a plume of feathers, and way too much expense!"

22 Hornet are a popular cartridge for Caper and Blackgrouse here most use softpoints in them, I use my 308w with fmj it works great very little meat destruction.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Gav said:

I used remington for first time last week & had loads of splits.... 

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, Gav said:

10 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I used remington for first time last week & had loads of splits.... 

Are these splits before or after firing?

If it is the latter then it isn't an issue.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, ianm said:

Are these splits before or after firing?

If it is the latter then it isn't an issue.

Yeah it's after mate so I'm not that arseđ but just never had it happen with hornady rounds.