Progress with the collie cur..

8 hours ago, Sirius said:

Few more for the pup tonight, he is now 16 months so most sessions are still short, catch one and then home type of deal.  Firstly as the rabbits are not that thick on the ground and secondly it keeps him positive.

I have never been in this position rabbitwise, on land i have hunted for 2 or 3 decades. Most my dogs have been regularly into double figures at this age, but that was then and this is now.

However i think this pups has the makings of a handy dog for my hunting. Tonight he picked his first one out the seat, lovely. Each ones retrieved well enough. But out of all my dogs over the years hes a touch harder mouthed and most are dead on arrival. No matter though, they are in no way liquidised...lol

But hes winning and learning and thats what really matters. Next step is to get him steadier working off the slip. 

We have been through the worst of young dog behaviour now hopefully, hunting on, over shooting, and not looking down the beam. Tonight it feels like things are falling into place.

Good hunting all

Sirius

20220204_223843.jpg

20220204_213108.jpg

Getting 3 rabbits on a place they not many is more rewarding than taken numbers on ground that's got plenty so well done ? 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Sirius said:

Few more for the pup tonight, he is now 16 months so most sessions are still short, catch one and then home type of deal.  Firstly as the rabbits are not that thick on the ground and secondly it keeps him positive.

I have never been in this position rabbitwise, on land i have hunted for 2 or 3 decades. Most my dogs have been regularly into double figures at this age, but that was then and this is now.

However i think this pups has the makings of a handy dog for my hunting. Tonight he picked his first one out the seat, lovely. Each ones retrieved well enough. But out of all my dogs over the years hes a touch harder mouthed and most are dead on arrival. No matter though, they are in no way liquidised...lol

But hes winning and learning and thats what really matters. Next step is to get him steadier working off the slip. 

We have been through the worst of young dog behaviour now hopefully, hunting on, over shooting, and not looking down the beam. Tonight it feels like things are falling into place.

Good hunting all

Sirius

20220204_223843.jpg

20220204_213108.jpg

Nice one mate, mines still daft as a brush, everything's 100mph, recall very good, retrieve not so good, he's fit though lol.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Great to hear from you fellah?

I know the ground you work,.. and as you say,...it was lifting  with conies back in the day...

The poor old shushis have taken a right bashing all over the UK,...they will return in many areas,.. they always do, but never again in vast quantity .

Such a shame,...for without the rabbit, our beautiful English countryside is not the same,...and even for a retired hunter such as myself,.. I still like to see them.?

Anyway mate,...keep on with your pup,...onwards and upwards...?

• Like 4

Parts of the country with out rabbits in just seem unnatural and bland. Very sad when you see fields that as a kid were full and now hold absolutely zero.

Lovely work with the pup is it quality not quantity now a days it seems 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Great to hear from you fellah?

I know the ground you work,.. and as you say,...it was lifting  with conies back in the day...

The poor old shushis have taken a right bashing all over the UK,...they will return in many areas,.. they always do, but never again in vast quantity .

Such a shame,...for without the rabbit, our beautiful English countryside is not the same,...and even for a retired hunter such as myself,.. I still like to see them.?

Anyway mate,...keep on with your pup,...onwards and upwards...?

Hey Phil, i am keeping positive but the places that were and have been teaming, just hold a fraction of thst now. I can find enough but the days of 20 or more from a morning ferreting without trying to hard just aint going to happen. I cant say the same for other species mind you..lol

Yeah the younguns ok little beast he is, total creature, my dog out of your old bitch is still out mooching, but torn muscles and age are catching up with him. (Bit like us all huh)

Good to hear from you..  ?

7 hours ago, dytkos said:

Nice one mate, mines still daft as a brush, everything's 100mph, recall very good, retrieve not so good, he's fit though lol.

Cheers, D.

This ones mad total beast. I really struggled with retrieve training, but we just about got there now, fingers crossed. Loves send back retrieves etc, but live stuff took time  Happiest when busy, great in the woods with me at work,  proper feral..just moochs, scraps a hole under a bush and sleeps  always turns up at tea break or lunch, mind 

Bit like Dancing with wolves..? 

Good to hear whst others are like, get some pics up if yours stays still long enough.

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, dytkos said:

I'm getting a few runs, he doesn't seem to learn stuff quick though once he's got it he's sound but the retrieve, drops short every time but usually stone dead ?‍♀️

Cheers, D.

He aint great either, tends to drop short too, but hope to shsrpen thst up. But still better than a long walk is the way i see it.

• Thanks 1