Dealing with a warming climate. ?

For those of us lucky enough not needing to  supply a pest control service I was wondering how we could adapt to the warming climate? Spring seems to be getting earlier each year and the milky does with it. Maybe one answer would be to  start the season a little earlier perhaps?. ? I know it would mean running  harder ground but.....

Most of the older does have finished rearing young by August and their bunnies are independent rather than in the womb. Better perhaps to take a single bunny in error than a whole litter in the womb or depending on milk. Having said that I'm still lamping and taking milky does but it gets you thinking ?

Edited by sandymere

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was lucky enough to be invited by Northernlite , (Davey) for a four day trip up to the Cairngorms. For a lurcher enthusiast it was a trip of a lifetime, stayed in a grouse shooters cottage, had free

Wet doesn't seem to put rabbits off of breeding like a hard cold period. Lack of nutritious food is part of the reason and mild wet winters means the grass is still growing throug most of the year.

Who believes in climate change ? me personally think it's a natural thing the world goes through every now and again look at many ice ages we have had no matter watt we do it's going to happen anyhow

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, sandymere said:

For those of us lucky enough not needing to  supply a pest control service I was wondering how we could adapt to the warming climate? Spring seems to be getting earlier each year and the milky does with it. Maybe one answer would be to  start the season a little earlier perhaps?. ? I know it would mean running  harder ground but.....

Most of the older does have finished rearing young by August and their bunnies are independent rather than in the womb. Better perhaps to take a single bunny in error than a whole litter in the womb or depending on milk. Having said that I'm still lamping and taking milky does but it gets you thinking ?

I’m sure winter is still going to come. Weather that is cold or wet weather I’m not sure 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

There chance 

But with rvhd many need to manage what rabbits they have or end up with none. If all the milky does are killed in February there no bunnies in August. 

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, sandymere said:

But with rvhd many need to manage what rabbits they have or end up with none. If all the milky does are killed in February there no bunnies in August. 

Mixi hit one of my best spots end of the summer. Went and had a look couple weeks back seen about 20 rabbits only ran 1 hopefully some decent breeding stock. But then a place that doesn’t hold many rabbits has boomed in the summer so had plenty of running there ??

• Like 1

Does are full of young now and I been seeing young running about for couple months . We not had a proper winter in few yrs ,haven't woke up to blanket of snow in good couple yrs ,we can no longer say we not ferreting if they in young as they in young all year round now 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

I know watt your saying mate But if I don't go up the the farm I do rabbit control on someone else's will and they won't go as easy as me 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

We not had a proper winter in few yrs ,haven't woke up to blanket of snow in good couple yrs ,

You are lucky ? that's a river in front of me, two feet of ice, expecting 14cm of snow tonight. 

IMG-a8e8e59c1d7b5011094a33710e525c34-V.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

I know watt your saying mate But if I don't go up the the farm I do rabbit control on someone else's will and they won't go as easy as me 

I'd not suggest we do  less but that we adapt how, as in starting and finishing a bit earlier in areas that don't have the numbers. Taking the same numbers but avoiding taking out milky does. Each doe is two litters,  say 10 rabbits,  over the spring/early summer and they are the soft targets, easy catches so we tend to catch them in higher numbers lamping once breeding starts.