Lurchers cuts

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A wouldn’t staple it keep flushing and pack with makuna honey or wound powder want it to heal from inside out over.

Tbh, I'd treat it like a wound you had yourself. Get some antiseptic spay after you've flushed it out properly.  Savlon healing gel (not the cream, it's slower to work) clean and reapply twice a

Posted Images

18 hours ago, dytkos said:

Tbh, I'd treat it like a wound you had yourself. Get some antiseptic spay after you've flushed it out properly. 

Savlon healing gel (not the cream, it's slower to work) clean and reapply twice a day, don't see the need for vets, vets would charge you £80+ 

If your gonna be working the dog you need to be able to do the basics.

Hope the dog is ok ? 

Cheers, D.

D I get what your saying and I'd clean it up me self but lad obviously don't no how to deal with it so my advice was go vets just on safe side and try find someone who can help show him how to deal with cuts ,rips etc .

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Thomas gresty said:

Cheers mate. She f****d off in the bushes and come back like that, barbed wire is alls I can say 

If she's licking it to much it might make it worse so put one of them plastic things on her neck and clean it out daily and I'd use honey and aloe Vera mixed together and pack it in wound ,this works for mine when they got cuts etc or use one of the sprays you can get .

Hope it turns out OK 

• Like 1

Just make sure it’s kept clean mate, when people say purple spray, the majority of it is just shite, if you can get it teramycin is the stuff you want it’s what they use for foot rot in sheep. Great for cuts and wounds. Used manuka honey recently on a deep wound and that sped up the healing process  a lot, great stuff 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, C.green said:

Allways thought you wasnt meant to staple stuff that went into layer of muscle ? Thats when you go down the route of dissolvable sutures or would it be fine stapling something like that

I'd have staples in the skin there I think but hard to tell 100% off a picture, stapled wounds heal faster and don't scar so much so I'd always rather fo that that leave it open. The staples are only in the skin though. I've never had much to do with stitching so can't comment. If its a puncture into the muscle underneath I'd flush it but if it were deep I thought there was any chance of debris in there it would be a vet job.

• Like 1

Small skin tears like that are easy to deal with ; just keep it clean and let nature do its work.

But that looks like a puncture wound and very near a joint.

Theres allways the possibility of a nicked tendon or bone, so if in any doubt, consult a vet.

Cheers.

If, it is a puncture wound via the wire,..it is best to bath it several times a day with diluted, warm salty water(it will probably sting a mite?) and just allow the dog's tongue to keep the open wound clean...Such frightening looking 'holes' , critter bites, etc , need to heal, from the inside out,..?

When you have been around running dogs for many years, you get to see some sights?

Experience awards you with a confidence, to deal with such matters,.. but, when you hit the 'not sure ' button and the task looks to be beyond ya,.. its best to find a sympathetic Vet and get the old Antibiotics flowing free...Sometimes, minor surgery is beyond the amateur, no matter how handy he might be...

In such cases, time is of the essence, and it is simply an unavoidable cost of keeping.... one of the world's greatest canines?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Since were throwing up photos of our canine injured,here's my donation....I remember the morning it happened...I was in almost as bad a condition as poor sonic,....and it happened on a bank holiday Monday,and the vets were shut....I was thinking a sticky plaster and a bottle of Dettol might sort it.....NOT....Most things if not too serious I'd try sort myself ,but this one was a bit too big for me

Screenshot_2022-01-28-15-19-16-616_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

Since were throwing up photos of our canine injured,here's my donation....I remember the morning it happened...I was in almost as bad a condition as poor sonic,....and it happened on a bank holiday Monday,and the vets were shut....I was thinking a sticky plaster and a bottle of Dettol might sort it.....NOT....Most things if not too serious I'd try sort myself ,but this one was a bit too big for me

Screenshot_2022-01-28-15-19-16-616_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Did they stitch his gracilis muscle ? 

2 hours ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Did they stitch his gracilis muscle ? 

Yeah,I believe they did,,he had 3 operations,the vet was amazed he hadn't bled out,but he bounced back to great condition again...I wasn't right for a month after it ,but no one gave a shite,the dog got all the attention lol

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, jigsaw said:

Yeah,I believe they did,,he had 3 operations,the vet was amazed he hadn't bled out,but he bounced back to great condition again...I wasn't right for a month after it ,but no one gave a shite,the dog got all the attention lol

Did it effect him at all ? Just heard of dogs with torn gracilis off running injuries had them stitched and ran again just wondering how he got on.