How many is required ?

When training & working a young running dog for rabbits only, how many does it require for it to be worthwhile & get that young dog to a reasonable standard? Then how do you go about this ?

Personally I like a slow and steady supply of rabbits .Once a young dog gets to a certain point I like to take it to a area that holds high numbers of rabbits & use it either one out or as one of a pair when it is coupled with a older dog .A controlled outing is what I'm aiming for on the first of two trips where I usually work the dog to long or purse nets .Then I wait a few months ,until I feel the young dog is ready, for the second trip that usually includes bushing and some flushed rabbits via the ferret. This is extra to the  normal day to day flushing /bushing work I use the pack on,  including the young dog I'm breaking in at the time .Each dog is different and some require more work than others ,some have strong points that I like to build on ,stars are great but I'm looking for dogs that are team players .

That's just my approach.........

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toolebox said:

stars are great but I'm looking for dogs that are team players .

How you hunt with the pest control and many dogs is completely different to the hunter like myself with two or three dogs. I like taking pups out young with the older mutt but not every time until it gets some strength about it. For me it's the pup gets thrown into it doing everything  but not too much too soon. They have to be pretty decent when you only have a couple and I'm not worried about the pack thing so much but they usually work that out themselves.

• Like 1