Unlucky terriers?

22 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Totally different circumstances than the terrier doing a sheepdog trail underground, but if a terrier makes a habit of showing and looking another way in then it definitely isn't committed to being a digging dog. 

My old blind russell used to try to find a better way in if it was tight and he couldn't get straight to it,if he could get to it he'd stay till i got to him no matter what and i never doub'ted his commitment as a digging dog till he went blind and going blind would change most animals behaviour anyway..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrier working educated game will have  there work cut out with the one never mind running an earth to round up the rest 

Was he getting pushed around or was he rounding them all up first as he had them all stopped up when you broke through?..

Quarry will move through an earth when getting worked and sometimes end up in a pocket with others.. Its really that simple.. If a terrier is leaving one to go in search of another so it can push it t

Posted Images

I know there’s no specific blueprint for what goes on underground but, hypothetically speaking if a terrier enters and gets on and there’s 2 animals in front of it and the dog gives chase around the burra. After a while one turns left up a few feet into an end and the other went on around the way they had been going from the beginning.

Terrier A would go left and stay at that one until dug too.

Terrier B works it for a minute knows there’s another has got away so turns back to pursue it around the burra and after a while that animal decides to take the same left and terrier B is dug too with 2 of its quarry in front of it.

What terrier would most people want to own? Has one more of a work ethic or brains than the other? 
Then again what if the second one didn’t stop in same place? Your digging terrier B at one also. Lol

• Like 2

Some of the places I dig requires a very smart terrier.

320995728_20220103_0706472.jpg.201fca254f00c8e1d7d30523a712b898.jpg

If you bring a one dimension,straightforward terrier here he will take a bad fall or never find the quarry.With that said for breeding purposes I have gotten better results from the one dimension straight ahead type.

Two weeks ago I dug 5 foot to terrier sticking his head under water biting rocks.Literally trying to drown himself instead of finding another way.He's not smart but I bet he produces.Just my opinion.

Sorry for rambling.Stuck at home sick when I should be digging.

• Like 1
On 04/02/2022 at 00:09, chesney said:

Terrier working educated game will have  there work cut out with the one never mind running an earth to round up the rest 

Lol... No one said the terrier I'm on about was rounding up quarry.. I haven't got x-ray eyes to tell you what was going on...but I know what was there when he was broke through to...which was 3...

5 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Why because it uses its brain to see if it can find another route rather then trying to dig on? 

While a terrier is going walkabout in certain situations quarry will be digging on in front of it while blocking up the tubes behind it, what happens then if there is no other way to reach it?  I know different types will get the same result most of the time but sometimes it just takes a headstrong determined terrier to get the job done. 

Like I've said before these are just my own opinions. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, stop.end said:

Lol... No one said the terrier I'm on about was rounding up quarry.. I haven't got x-ray eyes to tell you what was going on...but I know what was there when he was broke through to...which was 3...

You jumped into a conversation regarding terriers rounding up quarry.

None of us have X-ray eyes but you must have a special skill to know that a terrier isn’t barking through its grip at the one at hand but the one behind it. Maybe you should judge strong dogs in the next big show coming up. You’d be in your comfort zone, bullshit.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, THE GENERAL said:

None of us have X-ray eyes but you must have a special skill to know that a terrier isn’t barking through its grip at the one at hand but the one behind it. Maybe you should judge strong dogs in the next big show coming up. You’d be in your comfort zone, bullshit.

There was 3 there. 
Terrier was giving left jabs to the 3rd 

• Haha 4
16 hours ago, THE GENERAL said:

Lol.. jumped into a conversation about terrier work this is a forum about terrier work is it not?

Not working collie's rounding up sheep...?

What happens if there was 5 or more head in a place? Would this terrier you speak about round them all up like in sheep dog trials?  And are we talking educated sheep that would have seen a collie before... 

You must have that day dreamers app on your phone Google burrows.... ? 

There was 2 men of this forum with me that day I speak about the bitch having one in full grip but  yapping ..... There was a fox behind that.. what's so hard to believe?

Plus a man who has been at the top of this game for nearly 50 years was with us... The only thing we could sumaise was that with her usual style she  was yapping with frustration but there was a second behind her ... As I said I don't have Google burrows for day dreamers app ...must download it. 

2 hours ago, stop.end said:

Lol.. jumped into a conversation about terrier work this is a forum about terrier work is it not?

Not working collie's rounding up sheep...?

What happens if there was 5 or more head in a place? Would this terrier you speak about round them all up like in sheep dog trials?  And are we talking educated sheep that would have seen a collie before... 

You must have that day dreamers app on your phone Google burrows.... ? 

There was 2 men of this forum with me that day I speak about the bitch having one in full grip but  yapping ..... There was a fox behind that.. what's so hard to believe?

Plus a man who has been at the top of this game for nearly 50 years was with us... The only thing we could sumaise was that with her usual style she  was yapping with frustration but there was a second behind her ... As I said I don't have Google burrows for day dreamers app ...must download it. 

I hope that dog you dug too with 3 in front of it, wasn’t an offspring of the one you told lads was decent and done less than 3 mins and walked.
It’s not called frustration by the way, it’s “temper”. ill learn you yet ?