Steel Tape Measures?

Come on, lads. This place is deader than our basic freedoms. Let's talk about something!

I've just spotted my steel tape. Buried in a heavy job I was working on yesterday. Sadly, my tape is now Fukked! FUBAR. I'm tape shopping :(

This was a Dargan 5m / 16ft. No wonder I so often found it that aggravating bit 'something missing' on bigger jobs! Amazon now shows me 8m / 26ft. was probably what I'd grown used to.

That's on my list then :) But, what else is there? With so many steel tapes out there. So many brands. All looking so much of a muchness ... What may I be looking for, please? (Even just homing in on " Stanley " branded leaves it wide open).

Suggestions and insights, please? I'm only an occasional DIYer. But, my tape lives right beside me, on this desk. It's probably my most used tool.

Thanks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just go into any BandQ,  Wickes type of store unwrap a tape as you browse to measure something your thinking of buying then simply pop it on your belt/waste band when you leave,  ??

Drive to work in Kent last night , tested positive for COVID this morning and isolated , came hone at lunchtime and landed at teatime .  walked upstairs to find a newly laid temporary tile bathro

Used to love helping my Oldman out at the joinery when I was a nipper myself Sid...the smell of fresh timber, wood glue and coffee ??

Posted Images

This caught my eye, lads! I'm bloody sure my Dad had one of these in his tool box. And he's been dead over half a century now! Amazing the 'look' is still around! Pointless little red 'button' 'n all:

Untitled.jpg.f0007749b5b173241dfe46d193602e71.jpg

For the sake of inclusivity though ..... The Amazon Deliverer (What we used to call a 'Postman') has just been. Of course, I reached for my Stanley Blade.

That too got me thinking; Must have had This bloody thing since time began too. Barely recognisable, amongst the weirdly angled, black and yellow things of today.

Am I missing anything? Should I go Fat Max? Or, will this do just as good at slitting sellotape? :D

P1010001.JPG.70d25cb4a27d57865397f02c18513ba3.JPG

BB; I'm a sucker for a Stanley tool, mate. (Despite their now being as chink as 'Anything' else, these days! :wallbash:)

But, I Think I just stumbled upon a Fukking Strong contender! Look!

Untitled1.jpg.6ee1471f3d86b38fdcd18d705c3b7db2.jpg

Not only are Milwaukee ~ as far as I'm aware? ~ possibly the only remaining tool still Not made in chink (or Taiwan etc) But, look at the Shape of this thing! :yes:

Biggest pain in my arse, Ever, with tapes? The fukking things falling over!!! Ye must've had that? There ye are, fifteen foot away from the body. And the fukking thing arbitrarily decides to flop over on its side. Or, worse? Fall clean off the fukking job! :censored: God, I Hate that!!!

Looks like some genius has spotted that fault and answered my prayers, look! A tape like a toad. Squat as fukk and sucking the ground. Perfect! :boogy:

I reckon This bad boy would be hard to beat! :D

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Ahaa!!! Flats! So, you're obviously a bit of a connoisseur. What ye make of my Milwaukee?

I’ve just looked above it’s a thing of ergonomic beauty, my lad uses Milwaukee drills and swears by them treat yourself as you say it’s been thought about and isn’t going to topple over which as you say is a sickener right at the crucial moment of measuring.  

• Thanks 1

Any one who thinks a tapes a tape doesn't use it enough .. ?

I tend to buy cheap ones for work because the measurements soon wear off , was using a Stanley fatmax one and it lasted no longer than the cheap couple quid specials the boss buys. 

I'm using a cheap Magnuson one now from Screwfix and it's lasted the longest out of the lot .

• Like 1

Just to add I replace my tape every couple of months,  over the years I've used the  cheapest to the most expensive,  both extremes are false  economy so I go middle of road , the Stanley stuff. 

• Like 3