Fishing equipment

Hi, My dad passed away, so i'm looking for someone who would like to have all his fishing equipment. He was a keen fisherman for many years and had lots of fishing gear from over the years. All in good condition. Will need to pick up from Rainford and we don't want any money for them, just glad they will go to someone who enjoys the same sport has my dad did. Thanks Lynne. Mobile 7493011021

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Lynne said:

Hi, My dad passed away, so i'm looking for someone who would like to have all his fishing equipment. He was a keen fisherman for many years and had lots of fishing gear from over the years. All in good condition. Will need to pick up from Rainford and we don't want any money for them, just glad they will go to someone who enjoys the same sport has my dad did. Thanks Lynne. Mobile 7493011021

That's a lovely gesture, condolences on your dad. 

On 23/01/2022 at 19:28, Lynne said:

I'd get your number off here if I were you. Though the members are all decent people anyone could phone you up and you don't know how dodgy they might be. 

As said, find a charity that can make use of it, or even give it to a charity shop....then it raises money for charity and a decent person gets some tackle at bargain prices. 

I help a charity that takes all sorts of groups fishing, from special needs to help for heroes type groups. We are up north though. Try and find a group like that. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I'd get your number off here if I were you. Though the members are all decent people anyone could phone you up and you don't know how dodgy they might be. 

As said, find a charity that can make use of it, or even give it to a charity shop....then it raises money for charity and a decent person gets some tackle at bargain prices. 

I help a charity that takes all sorts of groups fishing, from special needs to help for heroes type groups. We are up north though. Try and find a group like that. 

Rainford is up north?

I went and picked this fishing tackle up today. 

I tried to be as honest as possible with regards to how much good be used for the fishing charity and really they would only use the bait tubs and a few other bits. Obviously when putting an event on the kids or guests need comfy stable fishing chairs that lean backwards away from the water for safety. They can't sit on boxes. 

I explained to the lady that I was worried someone would claim it and just sell it on. I know how much a fisherman loves his tackle and I didn't want it to be taken advantage of.

Looking through the tackle some of it may be worth a couple of quid. I suggested that I'd value some of it if I could make use of it and the money would be sent to her or a charity of her choosing. Or put together some of it and try to find a young lad who wants it. After all I've already got two seat boxes, I don't need two more.....but realistically how much is an old plywood fishing box worth these days. 

I will photograph the tackle and put the pics on here so the lady can see what there is and what I decide to do with it so its all above board as far as possible. She was happy for someone to just make use of it but I really feel I'm being judged by an old angler looking down on me with his fishing tackle and I in no way want to take advantage. 

There's a nice little pole fishing box if anyone can make use of it or if anyone has a young lad just starting at let me know. 

IMG_20220126_143938.jpg

IMG_20220126_143947.jpg

IMG_20220126_143945.jpg

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 6
50 minutes ago, sid g said:

stick it on ebay as a job lot  let it find its own price  then donate the money . i put all my gear together by buying 3 separate job lots for under 100 quid picked the best bits  out ,

From a buyer's point of view buying job lots can be the cheapest way to go. But as regards getting the best price for this lady I would suggest sorting out any good stuff and listing them individually. That canvas seat box looks in good nick and could fetch a tidy price from a  collector. 

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

From a buyer's point of view buying job lots can be the cheapest way to go. But as regards getting the best price for this lady I would suggest sorting out any good stuff and listing them individually. That canvas seat box looks in good nick and could fetch a tidy price from a  collector. 

All the buckles are rusty. Didn't realise collectors might like it, I doubt it personally. But I will put clearer pics on for opinions before giving to a young lad or keeping for ourselves so it's all done fairly. Like I say I think she would be happy if I'd just kept it for myself, she said she didn't want money for it but I'd really like to be above board, if anything is a collectors item or has value then I'll pay or donate the right amount or make sure it finds a home she's happy with 

• Like 2

Those old seat boxes can fetch sixty quid in good condition. If the buckles can be polished out it might be worth doing. There are people who collect vintage tackle, but usually these sort of collections often contain run of the mill stuff that isn't desirable. Only a few fibreglass rods are worth more than a fiver. 

I admire what you are doing.

Our kid has chosen some stuff he will use. A match rod, a couple of rod rests and a browning holdall. He's also going to take a bunch of terminal tackle. The terminal tackle isn't really going to be worth anything. There's loads of floats but most are homemade from drinking straws, they look better than they are. All the vintage floats like old quills have been given bad DIY paint jobs with flouresent paint ☹️. There's loads of old line but at 10 years old minimum it ain't going to be usable. He's said £50 so I think that's fair enough. 

I'll put the money to one side and send it to the lady or donate where she wants once I've gone through it all. There's a nice pole fishing box and some reels. I'll research values when I get time and as said get you lot to confirm you agree. Then either sell, pay myself or find an appropriate young kid. 

I've told the lady to look at this thread to be updated on it as I sort through it. 

You all agree with 50 for the match rod and holdall? Like I say the floats look better than they are, they are home made from drinking straws or spoiled by DIY paint 

IMG_20220128_151922.jpg

IMG_20220128_151507.jpg

IMG_20220128_151144.jpg

IMG_20220128_151424.jpg

IMG_20220128_151347.jpg

• Like 1

All sounds reasonable to me Dido, not much value in fishing tackle unless it's top of the range carp gear or poles, box caught my eye I've my late dad's gear here, had a similar box that he modded to have shoulder straps and a padded seat it's older than me, I still haven't brought myself to look through it all or use it. Nice someone is making use of the chaps gear really?

• Like 1

There are one or two niches where old tackle can be worth more. Fibreglass rods with famous names from back in the 50's to 70's Richard Walker, Fred J Taylor, Peter Wheat and others will be sought after. But most fibreglass rods, especially coarse rods, are almost worthless. Split cane rods will always sell if in good condition and reels from Mitchell, Alcocks, Youngs, ABU and some others could attract good prices. Also, many centrepin reels fetch good money whilst others go for nothing. You have to research everything as it is all too easy to under or over price items of tackle.

• Like 1