Dotty or any other x or seving army lads ?

Know quite a few who did the public service course was shite non went into public services they all said was a doss for 2 years caving canoeing climbing few trips to lakes etc on lake and zip lines doing runs etc as they put it was like going to one of them camp schools for 2 years also had  a few mates went Harrogate army collage didn't like left went back  joined army been in years

11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Don’t ye think navy be a half decent life these days? I always fancied being on a sub for a bit but I think as a career I’d rather a boat? but I’d honestly try talk my kids out the forces. Unless it’s summat you really want it can end up a hell ?

I’d be all over ducking about being a commando if I had my time again , f**k being on a boat though , I’d rather be on the black leather taxis and off into the ulu if it went pear shaped . It’s just the thought of being on a boat slowly sinking that gives me nightmares . 

One of my old full screw pals passed the selection for Apache pilot training a few years back and as he left work on his last day we played this at full volume . It was legendary ???

he proper played up to it , getting on his mountain bike with a mocked up helmet with maverick stickers on it . ??

yeah f**k it join the army , it’s like getting paid for being at school but there’s only two rules . Don’t take drugs and shave everyday. 

I’ve had some good crack last 16 years 

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Used to be you could only leave once, so if ye left, an try again then you couldn’t leave the second time ? use to also be you could only really leave quite easy in the first 6 weeks of training after that it becomes a bit of a ball ache unless it medical or summat, but can be done, like j said tho leave first time an even that 6 week window of second course you can’t leave. This used be case for the 18 an over going to itc Catterick ?

It's easy to leave anytime now I think is it called the unhappy solider or something 

The army is full of lazy c**ts robbing a wage who in reality are a complete shadow of their lineal descendants from as little as ten years ago 

a scandal when you think really . 

I wouldn’t trust the average private / junior JNCO . Anyone I would trust I would rate as above average . 

what I would say is that the military are become more aligned with the civilian sector and are and have been awarding recognised equivalent quals for hitting targets , last year I gained three level 4 nvq quals and iosh certification for work I do daily with no extra study. 

Currently sat dual wielding 2 laptops doing work , the dream of me surpassing scouse mcloughlin is rapidly diminishing . 

might have a crack at that ranger battalion cadre for a change !?

18 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Mates lad went to army college at 16. Him and 6 friends had 'Army' tattooed down their arms along with the date they joined up. All 6 left within 6 months ?

See it all the time ,  British bulldogs holding rifles , army numbers as barcodes and my personal fave , wings or paratroopers on a sleeve when the closest they’ve came to stepping into darkness at 800ft is driving over dartford crossing. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

Interesting cap badge... :whistling:

a lot of people were quite blasé about it , “just a glorified omlt team” etc 

whats app exploded when that little bit of metal was revealed. 

my mate spent an hour trying to get me to apply with him rather than do this course I’m on. 

18 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

a lot of people were quite blasé about it , “just a glorified omlt team” etc 

whats app exploded when that little bit of metal was revealed. 

my mate spent an hour trying to get me to apply with him rather than do this course I’m on. 

How they managed to get the selous scouts cap badge through all the committees and gate reviews nonsense that is the modern world is amazing.

I feel sorry for the lads in the battalions that are to make up this regiment/brigade. It sounds like the but of every forces joke right now. Or do you just transfer if you want out?

I think the plan is that the ranger regts will slowly be seeded with all arms cap badges that have passed the cadre. 

I can see it being an interesting tour for a jnco , it hasn’t had its full remit engaged yet , and it’s playing up to the one army , one job , no discrimination adverts but eventually it will be full of hardened NCOs . 

it won’t ever rival 16x , (who can?) but it’s a taste of the irregular for a regular cap badged soldier 

11 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I think the plan is that the ranger regts will slowly be seeded with all arms cap badges that have passed the cadre. 

I can see it being an interesting tour for a jnco , it hasn’t had its full remit engaged yet , and it’s playing up to the one army , one job , no discrimination adverts but eventually it will be full of hardened NCOs . 

it won’t ever rival 16x , (who can?) but it’s a taste of the irregular for a regular cap badged soldier 

I’ll let you come and be my batman in “X” force !

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Right, fair.

I think the concept is forward thinking. But from what blurb has been released they are expected to fulfil a similar role to the SAS in Malaya/Borneo 'unconventional warfare' training insurgents/friendlies and critically actually accompanying these forces in combat. I mean, obviously they won't be tasked with the same level of mission the SAS would, they'll deploy them when needed, but still it seemed these 'special operations' Rangers would be expected to be a step beyond who they are replacing.

I feel that if they were serious about this new unit it would have been manned by new para/commando units, i.e., an actual increase in these type of troops, not just new battalions made up of existing. Or even just expand the role of 1 para/SFSG.

Edited by Born Hunter
8 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Right, fair.

I think the concept is forward thinking. But from what blurb has been released they are expected to fulfil a similar role to the SAS in Malaya/Borneo 'unconventional warfare' training insurgents/friendlies and critically actually accompanying these forces in combat. I mean, obviously they won't be tasked with the same level of mission the SAS would, they'll deploy them when needed, but still it seemed these 'special operations' Rangers would be expected to be a step beyond who they are replacing.

I feel that if they were serious about this new unit it would have been manned by new para/commando units, i.e., an actual increase in these type of troops, not just new battalions made up of existing. Or even just expand the role of 1 para/SFSG.

I think you raise some good points , but without being facetious, from a boots on the ground point of view that falls apart imho 

I see them as a Chindits type team , training guerila / anti poaching / sme tracking and jungle environments. 

16x r1 Is busier now and serves well as a deterrent as it’s ring fenced and the aatf has been proved in the recent op pitting , Kosovo , Iraq deployments , out the door when the phone gets put down , that readiness just doesn’t exist elsewhere and it can’t be bought off the shelf , it’s in the Para Regt dna , bluf , Para Regt need bums to man the aatf / ambg. 

3 commando x have a range of their own , coasts ,  Norway , Caribbean , anti piracy , their new future model is fantastic and in my opinion will move them forward to infill the sfsg, who are busier than joe public think 

additionally when you factor in uksf being thrashed at the moment all over the globe , an assistant omlet / ttp installation team makes perfect sense. Hence the rangers . 

for me I would have drawn a batt from the Irish , the Gurkhas and the lancs ( Chindit company , it’s part of their esprit de Corps , with an all arms company from each of the supporting arms . 

many ways up it is interesting to watch as I think it will need to be proven so to speak quicker rather than later , so it will be a case of test and adjust for a couple years . Good to observe anyway . ??

• Thanks 1