Dotty or any other x or seving army lads ?

Why is it you can join the royal marines at a earlier age than the regular army?

My sons not long turned 16 and has been taking quite a intrest in maybe joining up these past few months..

Royal marine is 16 but the regular army is near 18 years of age.

Why is this lads...

13 minutes ago, MH1 said:
APPLY.ARMY.MOD.UK

Explore your options and find out how old you need to be to join the regular Army or the Army Reserve. Read about all our...

Can join the Army at 16 but think they do a year or 2 at Harrogate

Thank you mate..

I'm most definitely not ex military so please don't think I'm giving it Billy big bollocks giving advice...ive a lot of family and close friends who have served but again that's not really of relevance beyond discussions we have had.... 

Personally I'd advise your nipper against joining at 16. As said they do 2 years at a military college thing before joining properly. I'm sure this is the same for any branch of the forces. I stand to be corrected though if you say the marines take em at 16.

Encourage your lad to have a couple of years doing something else first, the difference between 16 and 18 is massive. There is a college course about public services that they can start at 16 that touches on all the armed forces along with police and prison services. I'm fairly sure they can also use the qualification to go straight into officer training at a younger age. 

I asked our kid your question as he was marines but he's not sure as these things have all changed. But first thing he said was "tell any school kid thinking of joining to spend a few years experiencing real life and shagging birds first" 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, sid g said:

my mates lad did that course with a view to joining the army as a gap filler he did a year working for jet 2 as an airline steward enjoyed the interaction with people and the first aid he had to learn he`s now gone on to be a full time  paramedic ..  @ tb25 you thought about the ta for a few year see if it still suits him at 18 , and do the uniformed public services collage course , 

Got to be 18 for the ta 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Kids are running riot haha sure it’s lads an lassies all shagging an going wild ? think they do it for a year or summat aswell rather than 6 month if ye older 

40 months I think mate

2 hours ago, Chid said:

Got to be 18 for the ta 

Yes..18..

He doesn't won't 2 wait..lol

Funny age 16 to 18..inless you have something in place..

He's a good lad with a good head on his shoulders and can see how most of his mates are going on the estate..he's allways shown a intress..

Shame the ta don't take on alittle earlier..

Will see how it goes over the next few months..the place dotty is on about takes recruitment  in march and September so will see how he feels in a couples of months

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

No other work local or that till he old enough to join as an adult mate, it’s by far the better option imho, don’t get me wrong kids go all time an get through it, but if it was me or my lad I’d hang on an join as an adult 

I agree with you mate.

I have been looking for him work wise but nothing as of yet..unfortunately. 

As you say it's certainly nothing to run in 2 and I don't want him feeling that's his only option. 

I think he's just ready to get in to the big wide world tbh but not sure his path as of yet..

Edited by tb25
2 minutes ago, tb25 said:

I agree with you mate.

I have been looking for him work wise but nothing as of yet..unfortunately. 

As you say it's certainly nothing to run in 2 and I don't want him feeling that's his only option. 

I think he's just ready to get in to the big world would tbh but not sure his path as of yet..

Edited by tb25

surly hes still in education....?

can he leave school to go to the army collage?.... cos i know now its 18 till you leave full time education these days ... unless 6 form ...collage or uni...

so i assume this army collage counts ?

The public services college course seems a better bet than army college as they touch on loads of different subjects. Went to a college open day with my step lad as he's interested in it. 

If, as they said, you can also do officer training with the qualifications then it seems a no brainer really. 

@tb25.5

@tb25 get your nipper to look at the course...if he's that keen then suggest army cadets as well perhaps, he can join them until he's 18