My Whippet pup mooching around

9 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

When you say all night ...... how many runs would you expect it to have in it ? 

I’m guessing he’s meaning long slips run after run a whippet will soon fade if the runs are to close together I think he means be liberal about the runs meaning a whippet will have to run twice as hard to cover the same distance as a large counter part collie greyhound we’re the collie x has a quicker recovery rate 

• Like 1

I’ve a lot of time for whippets I used to run some coursing whippets mid 90s I was only a kid they were nimrodel an oakbark bred they belonged to my older cousins foster parents I favoured there dog named blue he was nimrodel bred I can remember more than once we had these dogs hanging out there asses being over run but we were young keen an stupid 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, poxon said:

I’m guessing he’s meaning long slips run after run a whippet will soon fade if the runs are to close together I think he means be liberal about the runs meaning a whippet will have to run twice as hard to cover the same distance as a large counter part collie greyhound we’re the collie x has a quicker recovery rate 

I guess so. But I’d be quite surprised if many folk have enough rabbits around them these days to burn out a fit, decently bred whippet ? One should manage 30-40 runs easy enough wouldn’t you think ? How many folk are running 50 rabbits in a night these days ? 

• Like 2
Just now, W. Katchum said:

I had a whippet bitch here for a pal of a  pal for a season, after she was fit she was catching high 20s regular a couple times a week and till ferreting some mornings, opened my eyes if I’m honest

Aye my old dog would do 20s and 30s without much drama, and would hunt all day. Obviously they wouldn’t have the stamina of a collie or saluki blooded Lurcher but I was always surprised by what the dog could do. But he would run him self into the ground if you let him! 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I guess so. But I’d be quite surprised if many folk have enough rabbits around them these days to burn out a fit, decently bred whippet ? One should manage 30-40 runs easy enough wouldn’t you think ? How many folk are running 50 rabbits in a night these days ? 

Suppose but who knows ??‍♂️There’s a lot of dependents though ain’t there there’s no black an white answers I mean if there’s not a constant amount of runs for any dog how can you get a dog to peak running fit rather than just being fit an keep it there to see how much is in the tank the same goes with short runs an long runs easy ground an hard ground for a whippet to run on your finger can’t be put on a exact amount of runs a dog will take before it’s blowing out it’s ass an done for the night. As for the 50 up a night not many as you come down south of the country I’d of thought 

4 hours ago, Neal said:

I'm the same. I know it's not necessarily the done thing on here, but I've always taught mine to leave them alone. Don't get me wrong, I love eating venison, but I simply don't feel confident in tackling one and "sorting it out" afterwards. One of my kelpies will point them if he senses them (and has done since a few months old after less than half a dozen, "NO!" incidents) whereas the other has taken over three years of bollockings and rugby tackles before his brain said, "Oh, no deer then." The pup's only managed to meet two so far and a quick, "Agghhh!" seemed to do the trick...early days yet though. As you say though, far more deer near me than rabbits.

You're not alone, I try all I can to dissuade my collie X from deer. Reason is they are everywhere around me and a dog that knows how to find and shift them will put them up in surprising places. Makes off lead walking where people may be around a tense business ? ?

3 hours ago, poxon said:

Suppose but who knows ??‍♂️There’s a lot of dependents though ain’t there there’s no black an white answers I mean if there’s not a constant amount of runs for any dog how can you get a dog to peak running fit rather than just being fit an keep it there to see how much is in the tank the same goes with short runs an long runs easy ground an hard ground for a whippet to run on your finger can’t be put on a exact amount of runs a dog will take before it’s blowing out it’s ass an done for the night. As for the 50 up a night not many as you come down south of the country I’d of thought 

Certainly won't be worried about my whippet getting too many runs over here in the East ?. What does concern me is how to manage him on a damp cold day ferreting. I've found smooth coat of collie blooded lurchers to be proof against most weather and particularly my current dog can stay focused for hours in the field. 

7 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

Certainly won't be worried about my whippet getting too many runs over here in the East ?. What does concern me is how to manage him on a damp cold day ferreting. I've found smooth coat of collie blooded lurchers to be proof against most weather and particularly my current dog can stay focused for hours in the field. 

Mines ferreted in bitter winds and snow and doesn’t seem to bother him as long as something is happening gets a touch cold if it’s very slow but basically not bothered by bad weather. 

• Thanks 1