My Whippet pup mooching around

28 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Best o luck wi it mate ,gonna be nippy

Thanks, and I am looking forward to see his pace, already he's zippy. Although it's more of a challenge to train. On this knowledge basis of one whippet ?, I am finding him eager to please us but a lot harder to get him to understand. I realise now after 40 years just how bright collie lurchers are. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Luckee legs said:

Thanks, and I am looking forward to see his pace, already he's zippy. Although it's more of a challenge to train. On this knowledge basis of one whippet ?, I am finding him eager to please us but a lot harder to get him to understand. I realise now after 40 years just how bright collie lurchers are. 

On the upside he probably won't chase car  tires

• Haha 5
8 minutes ago, Luckee legs said:

nice pup?, I too have my first whippet she's 19 weeks, I don't think it's the brightness of collie lurchers in general. I am finding the beddywhippet pups I have had were far more forward at the same age. 

Screenshot_20220114_132743_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 4

nice pup , ive always liked whippets, more so none peds. if i was you mate i get different collar , get proper whippet collar , as the collar that it got on to ig and could catch on branches etc, once it finds it feet, better safer than sorry with them little runners .

• Like 2

Lovely pups lads. I have a non ped whippet and can be a bit head strong at times but a cracking rabbit dog and bloody keen on deer mainly fallow round me but reckon he would take a roe given the chance, fallow are to much though poor f****r gets dragged round the field. Doesn’t stop him trying though ??‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

They far different to collie x  he’s a dog whippet he’s a div for 10 mnts diff attitude req ?

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Lovely pups lads. I have a non ped whippet and can be a bit head strong at times but a cracking rabbit dog and bloody keen on deer mainly fallow round me but reckon he would take a roe given the chance, fallow are to much though poor f****r gets dragged round the field. Doesn’t stop him trying though ??‍♂️

Thanks, although Bloody hell I hope he's not keen on deer. My collie X is obsessed with muntjac and will abandon rabbiting if he senses one is close. Muntjac bucks are tough critters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

Thanks, although Bloody hell I hope he's not keen on deer. My collie X is obsessed with muntjac and will abandon rabbiting if he senses one is close. Muntjac bucks are tough critters

I personally hate bloody deer, more around me than rabbits but I have no interest in them and no way of taking one so they are just a bloody pain in the arse! Dogs sound with sheep but can’t break him to deer, the harder they kick the keener he seems. Thought a sound kicking might put him off but just makes him more determined ?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

I personally hate bloody deer, more around me than rabbits but I have no interest in them and no way of taking one so they are just a bloody pain in the arse! Dogs sound with sheep but can’t break him to deer, the harder they kick the keener he seems. Thought a sound kicking might put him off but just makes him more determined ?

I'm the same. I know it's not necessarily the done thing on here, but I've always taught mine to leave them alone. Don't get me wrong, I love eating venison, but I simply don't feel confident in tackling one and "sorting it out" afterwards. One of my kelpies will point them if he senses them (and has done since a few months old after less than half a dozen, "NO!" incidents) whereas the other has taken over three years of bollockings and rugby tackles before his brain said, "Oh, no deer then." The pup's only managed to meet two so far and a quick, "Agghhh!" seemed to do the trick...early days yet though. As you say though, far more deer near me than rabbits.

• Like 1
On 23/01/2022 at 22:35, jukel123 said:

Don't expect whippet to run all night like a collie grey. Due to my stupidity I ran my whippet bitch far too long and she just about collapsed before I realised my mistake.

When you say all night ...... how many runs would you expect it to have in it ? 

• Like 1

I've never really thought about it but off the top of my head, let's say 4 or 5 hours  and 100 runs?

The little whippet bitch had maybe 40 to 50 runs and the weather was in minus territory with a driving cold wind. I was totally naive. She began to stagger almost as if she was drunk. Got her back to the car,wrapped her up and she was OK when I got her home. I was asking her to do a job she,wasn't equipped for. She was still willing to run even when she was exhausted. As I say my stupidity.