Nice morning

This morning when I was walking the dog I bumped in to a lad with two lurchers, one was a saluki/greyhound and the other coursing bred. 

It was only about 4 month old and when I got talking to him he said it's supposed to be off Bulldozer, is he still alive and siring pups like? 

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are all coursing lads dreamers ? Or just the ones that frequent Internet forums?    So how many runs would you expect to give a good coursing dog a season ? And how many you lot managing ?

So no one met up and done owt then Why was that

Greb this time next year ??

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

You getting another bag grabber then? ?

Was it single handed on Netto carrier bags mate or did you run it doubled up? 

Seriously though, only opinions from those with working dogs please. ?

Honestly I think that lad would of pts because he's done his share reading his posts and most likely been there .and like  most would do he would of culled  ages ago .no offence greb but what does the akita bring .I did work hard but also culled hard and sometimes fecked up in my youth looking back. but I can't see what it brings other that being a liability .

1 minute ago, Blackmag said:

Honestly I think that lad would of pts because he's done his share reading his posts and most likely been there .and like  most would do he would of culled  ages ago .no offence greb but what does the akita bring .I did work hard but also culled hard and sometimes fecked up in my youth looking back. but I can't see what it brings other that being a liability .

Why would I put the dog to sleep mate, he's a housedog that's all at the end of the day. 

It is what it is mate, it'll work out someway or another. 

2 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Good luck greb hopefully see some pics of the youngster 

Cheers, Fens is right though, if I'm after a pup only i should have just left it when I found out it was 8 months old.

Trouble is, without being in the click you don't know when a litter will spring up or if any will be available for that matter. 

All these names of dogs get thrown about and you're sat there scratting your head like a confused chimp. ?

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Cheers, Fens is right though, if I'm after a pup only i should have just left it when I found out it was 8 months old.

Trouble is, without being in the click you don't know when a litter will spring up or if any will be available for that matter. 

All these names of dogs get thrown about and you're sat there scratting your head like a confused chimp. ?

Hull and fens will put you right regarding a pup  but you need to sort that akita one way or another 

• Like 1

My opinion,  for what it's worth, either get a proper outside kennel and run set up (which I wouldn't do nowadays if I still lived up country, after having dogs thieved) or get rid of the Akita if you want a lurcher pup.

It may well be ok with a pup but it may not, especially when it's fully grown. Don't even know why anybody would get one of those f***ing things unless you owned a scrapyard lol 

Cheers, D.

• Like 6

Do yourself a favor and get the dog and food aggression of your Akita in order before you get a pup/adolescent. I sometimes help a dog trainer with clients that have dogs that are aggressive with other dogs, because mine is properly socialized and functions as a mentor dog. This process can take years! And sometimes you have to admit that you will not get a bombproof dog.

Do not train on the life object…

Even if you strictly separate them, one time you miss to lock the doors or whatever and then what?

47 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

Do yourself a favor and get the dog and food aggression of your Akita in order before you get a pup/adolescent. I sometimes help a dog trainer with clients that have dogs that are aggressive with other dogs, because mine is properly socialized and functions as a mentor dog. This process can take years! And sometimes you have to admit that you will not get a bombproof dog.

Do not train on the life object…

Even if you strictly separate them, one time you miss to lock the doors or whatever and then what?

Easier said than done regarding dog aggression mate. 

Speaking of aggression, I haven't given him the opportunity to prove to me how aggressive he really is but you can see as he's got older the signs have been getting worse and worse. 

I would never let him run over to a dog off the lead, you're just asking for trouble if it does kick off. 

I'm almost certain he would be fine with a dog in the house reared as a pup, there's a good chance he would be OK with this dog with the right perseverance but there's always a what if. 

Decisions, decisions. 

The pup is a lovely dog no doubt but I'm in no rush, something will pop up. 

Anyway, just been reading some old posts. 

Folk arguing wether going back to pure is the right thing to do in today's climate, it's a fair question isn't it. 

38 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Easier said than done regarding dog aggression mate. 

Speaking of aggression, I haven't given him the opportunity to prove to me how aggressive he really is but you can see as he's got older the signs have been getting worse and worse. 

I would never let him run over to a dog off the lead, you're just asking for trouble if it does kick off. 

I'm almost certain he would be fine with a dog in the house reared as a pup, there's a good chance he would be OK with this dog with the right perseverance but there's always a what if. 

Decisions, decisions. 

The pup is a lovely dog no doubt but I'm in no rush, something will pop up. 

Anyway, just been reading some old posts. 

Folk arguing wether going back to pure is the right thing to do in today's climate, it's a fair question isn't it. 

As you have said greb you work away sometimes..does your missus walk the akita when you are away the reason I'm asking is if your akita gets attacked by another dog.your missus is in trouble from the off. 

Now if you are working away and you only have the runner your missus would be sound walking that about with the kids..and you wouldn't have to worry while away..

You seem keen to get a runner so maybe you got to make a tough decision mate..

But ey it's not my business what you do but you might be better off with rehoming the akita and only having a runner about the house mate..

But good luck what ever way you go ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dytkos said:

My opinion,  for what it's worth, either get a proper outside kennel and run set up (which I wouldn't do nowadays if I still lived up country, after having dogs thieved) or get rid of the Akita if you want a lurcher pup.

It may well be ok with a pup but it may not, especially when it's fully grown. Don't even know why anybody would get one of those f***ing things unless you owned a scrapyard lol 

Cheers, D.

Next door neighbour ended up taking it down to his brothers yard where he works to watch over scaffolding on a night. Even his brother told me he waits out of yard till he's gone an locked it back up in run through day. f***ing naughty dogs then Akitas 

11 hours ago, king said:

So what would you do mate..totally avoid feeding them together for maybe 8 or 10yrs..they are dogs mate not man eating lions...

The problem is the first dog being allowed to be food aggressive as a pup..any nonsense like that gets nipped in the bud when it raises its head..

Am not being funny king but your saying man eating lions them Akitas are different breed mate. I've seen it first hand this one next door. It sat there every day looking through hole in fence waiting to have a pop at my son who at the time was 9. He was only pottering up and down back garden. It used to bow the fence an wife said put it on a long runner lead so if it does bow the fence down least it can't get to us then. But one day it jumped up at it an a thought it's going through you could see it coming away from concrete post an kicker board at bottom. Just not a dog I would have or trust near family or other dogs or lions lol

Edited by Bangersanmash
2 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

Am not being funny king but your saying man eating lions them Akitas are different breed mate. I've seen it first hand this one next door. It sat there every day looking through hole in fence waiting to have a pop at my son who at the time was 9. He was only pottering up and down back garden. It used to bow the fence an wife said put it on a long runner lead so if it does bow the fence down least it can't get to us then. But one day it jumped up at it an a thought it's going through you could see it coming away from concrete post an kicker board at bottom. Just not a dog I would have or trust near family or other dogs or lions lol

I agree with you mate they are a very powerful breed of dog which can and do flip out..I was only saying how I would go about breaking the food aggression in 1 dog by feeding it near other dogs in a controlled way that's all..

Like I said greb seems keen on getting a runner so maybe it's time to make a tough decision ?

• Like 1