Loch tay

Anybody ever been trolling for salmon on Loch Tay? 

My target this year is to start salmon fishing, I'm going to get a double handed fly rod and have some casting lessons. But I think I'm going to have a couple of days trolling first to try and get my first salmon under my belt 

51 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

Then try somewhere other than the Tay system as it’s not with wasting your money,try morphie dyke on the north esk I’m sure the lad is on here and he will teach you how to cast with a double handed rod,wf

Why's the Tay not worth it? 

11 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Which side of the tay you going from? 

There's a bloke that ghillies there, called fish n trips, think he's based at killin. I've just emailed him to see if he has availability. I'll have a day with him first I think 

11 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Why's the Tay not worth it? 

Look at the catches on fishpal there very poor compared how it used to be,it’s a very faint shadow of its self getting its worse every year,also it’s a big loch and a very wide river especially for someone who hasn’t fish it before,atb wf

24 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

There's a bloke that ghillies there, called fish n trips, think he's based at killin. I've just emailed him to see if he has availability. I'll have a day with him first I think 

I used to live in Killin is the chap called Glyn or Glen not sure I remember a English chap starting doing them sort of trips when I was up there dint know him but spoke to him couple times local postie up there gregor used to take people out good angler don't have his number no more and not sure if he's still taking folk out hell be knocking on abit now I think 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

Look at the catches on fishpal there very poor compared how it used to be,it’s a very faint shadow of its self getting its worse every year,also it’s a big loch and a very wide river especially for someone who hasn’t fish it before,atb wf

Think that's the same for most places unfortunately

26 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

I used to live in Aberdeenshire, I know a fella on here that’s a beat keeper on a river not a million miles away from there. If you want to contact him, send us a pm?

Nice one thank you, I'm going to book a day's trolling in February then hopefully a few days on a river over the course of the year. I'll pm you after February when I'm looking to book a few days ??

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2022 at 18:34, DIDO.1 said:

Anybody ever been trolling for salmon on Loch Tay? 

My target this year is to start salmon fishing, I'm going to get a double handed fly rod and have some casting lessons. But I think I'm going to have a couple of days trolling first to try and get my first salmon under my belt 

Did you give it a go

6 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

Did you give it a go

No not yet, he suggested March would be best so next few weeks hopefully. Last days hunting next week so maybe go tay week after 

Apparently Grant the ghille is now all booked up till May. I can only really arrange to go at a maximum 2 weeks notice due to work and other commitments. In February he said he had availability weekend and midweek so I presumed I'd be OK with 2 weeks notice and flexibility on midweek days....but apparently not ?

Might try and see if there's any Harling on the river.