Blown Dogs?

2 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

That's right ,that's why we give them rd work to build them up and not give them to much until we can see they fit anufe for hard run , and entering to young can do more damage than most think .but lots of 12 mt old world beaters up for sale on fb doing the job ?  ffs most don't deserve to keep a animal. 

Completely agree with you.  ?

• Like 2

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be the closest you get to it ?

?I reckon you can definitely overmatch a dog,. .regardless of what discipline it is engaged in...? Physicality, is the same, whatever the activity... Never actually seen, or owned a running

I'm breeding one last litter then I'm done it will be in four years time I'm gifting them all as I always have if there is a little bitch in there it's yours it will suit ya... Just treat it as y

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Running a unfit dog on long runs will fcuk its lungs and heart ,if you run a dog unfit it sometimes hacks for a day or two and run it again before it's rested your asking for trouble, you get the same with horses ,no greyhound trainer or racing horse man would ever over run a unfit animal . If you don't believe me give it a go .

• Like 1

it's possible to damage the heart by over exertion just as it is in humans greyhounds especially can suffer from AF IE Irregular heartbeat so running an unfit dog or over worked  lurcher . I have adopted two grews wich developed AF and like in humans it can go undected for years so this is more than likely the case in mature dogs and bitches . As for young dogs and bitches don't forget the heart is a muscle and like all muscles expands and contracts when under load and like any form of exercise if not properly warmed up etc can lead to some serious injuries and damage . Just my take on it one thing not realised is even though the heart is a muscle its designated as the major component in the body and the brain will restrict blood flow to all the over major organs they develop a cough which is also a sign of heart damage the same as in humans fluid retention in the lungs etc including itself to compensate for any heart abnormalities that may impair its function. How would I know this well I underwent open heart surgery years ago for a dodgy valve and my blood flow to all my other organs lungs etc was constantly checked as I was suffering a leak that gradually got worse and believe me when my ticker decided I was having a bad day it let me know from double vision temp vision loss to kidney liver function problems . This was all explained by the guy who did the surgery .

Edited by gasaxeman
Missed a bit out
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, sandymere said:

That was some read ,how's the Spanish types going sandy ? I supposed to be out this morning but got Plummer coming so put a stop to that, just moved to a village in Rutland and I was shocked to see so many rabbits about as it was baron around old place ,went out for shine about couple nights ago and young bitch took 6 in hour and half so went home happy .

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gasaxeman said:

it's possible to damage the heart by over exertion just as it is in humans greyhounds especially can suffer from AF IE Irregular heartbeat so running an unfit dog or over worked  lurcher . I have adopted two grews wich developed AF and like in humans it can go undected for years so this is more than likely the case in mature dogs and bitches . As for young dogs and bitches don't forget the heart is a muscle and like all muscles expands and contracts when under load and like any form of exercise if not properly warmed up etc can lead to some serious injuries and damage . Just my take on it one thing not realised is even though the heart is a muscle its designated as the major component in the body and the brain will restrict blood flow to all the over major organs they develop a cough which is also a sign of heart damage the same as in humans fluid retention in the lungs etc including itself to compensate for any heart abnormalities that may impair its function. How would I know this well I underwent open heart surgery years ago for a dodgy valve and my blood flow to all my other organs lungs etc was constantly checked as I was suffering a leak that gradually got worse and believe me when my ticker decided I was having a bad day it let me know from double vision temp vision loss to kidney liver function problems . This was all explained by the guy who did the surgery .

I had a good friend who suffered with heart problems and he had a pigs valve put in and first one packed up so had to have another put in .he was only 30 when he had first valve and 35 when he had second one and sadly passed away at 43 .he was my best friend and had some great times together especially travelling Europe in a old ambulance conversion for couple yrs .

Sadly He wouldn't make the life changes needed .

• Sad 1

My sister had leaky valve on heart had first operation under 2yrs old split her open and had new valve fitted then again when she was 30 as started leaking again.Had greyhound s with heart murmur s 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda daily helped them.Seen few dogs run too hard too young with whistle when running also dogs that had kennel cough at some point and been ran too soon after it must scar there lungs.

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

That was some read ,how's the Spanish types going sandy ? I supposed to be out this morning but got Plummer coming so put a stop to that, just moved to a village in Rutland and I was shocked to see so many rabbits about as it was baron around old place ,went out for shine about couple nights ago and young bitch took 6 in hour and half so went home happy .

Doing ok ?. Struggling to get enough for the youngster,  Doing a lot of walking but not getting the runs.

3 hours ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

My sister had leaky valve on heart had first operation under 2yrs old split her open and had new valve fitted then again when she was 30 as started leaking again.Had greyhound s with heart murmur s 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda daily helped them.Seen few dogs run too hard too young with whistle when running also dogs that had kennel cough at some point and been ran too soon after it must scar there lungs.

And when you tell people  to hold back on  running a sapling ,all  you get is why? I had mine out at six months catching stuff and same old bollocks about dogs taking this and that before it's even out of puppy hood, I get folk want to be out and get dog started but I'd rather take me time and wait that little bit longer .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sandymere said:

Doing ok ?. Struggling to get enough for the youngster,  Doing a lot of walking but not getting the runs.

Place I used to live was like that ,go out with lamp and I'd see couple rabbits if I was lucky and pointless ferreting as nothing about but they was other stuff about but to many eyes about to do anything regular, I've just got some new permission on couple farms so hopefully young bitch will see more .

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

There’s a big difference between getting a young dog out an running a young dog hard, iv entered all my own dogs early but never over taxed them an never once had a problem an all my dogs stay with me too old age unless something unfortunate happens first

Like you say they a difference and it all comes down to man holding the lead .I like you always have a pup following older dog and out ferreting but at same time we  no when pup is tired and time to call it a day .I've seen posts on here lads saying me dog strong and ready before 9 Mt's old and taking this and that, when in reality a juk still a pup and finding it's legs at that age and in no way strong anufe for hard runs and of course some might get away with it but just look on fb at all the world beaters under a year old up for sale because its got to hot to keep a dog ffs but it's taken 3 out 3 on the big land .

We all have are own way to bring a sapling on  mine is get out ferreting with older dog and let a sapling get to grips with fur in nets then bolters then pick easy slips on the lamp and once a juk old anufe in body and mind move to other stuff ,this way works for me and like you my dogs stay with me for life and so far all have worked to good age.

We all know or should do that running a dog to early on stuff it's got no chance of catching because it's to young in mind and body can make a yapper and worse damage it's heart ,lungs . 

• Like 2

Acidosis is not good for any hound most won't recover some will with a years lay off ..

Greb there is such a thing as blown dogs mostly greyhound bred dogs that have been given too much stick will suffer ? 

Seen it many times one slip too many and they go catatonic ?

They can also be blown with work as they've  just had enough of it but a dog that's been blown like that will recover with rest and proper conditioning ...

It's not a myth and down to the handler ..

I see you questioned the brain capacity of salukis and their crosses it's not the dog pal it's the stupid humans imho ..

I have owned collie X's first cross and 3/4 they are stupid imho they haven't a running brain although will please their owners ..

I will stick with me salukis?

The most underestimated hounds in history if you don't count show bred crap  ?

But please don't get one or a saluki lurcher as you haven't the first idea how to do a dog imho ?

15 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Acidosis is not good for any hound most won't recover some will with a years lay off ..

Greb there is such a thing as blown dogs mostly greyhound bred dogs that have been given too much stick will suffer ? 

Seen it many times one slip too many and they go catatonic ?

They can also be blown with work as they've  just had enough of it but a dog that's been blown like that will recover with rest and proper conditioning ...

It's not a myth and down to the handler ..

I see you questioned the brain capacity of salukis and their crosses it's not the dog pal it's the stupid humans imho ..

I have owned collie X's first cross and 3/4 they are stupid imho they haven't a running brain although will please their owners ..

I will stick with me salukis?

The most underestimated hounds in history if you don't count show bred crap  ?

But please don't get one or a saluki lurcher as you haven't the first idea how to do a dog imho ?

Who mentioned saluki pal, are you cracking up? ?

7 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

No just fed up of your idiotic comments on many threads on here and I'm not your pal ?

Says the man who says half cross collies are thick. ?

It's like that is it, well fcuk you ya daft old sod. ?

What you see in a dog I don't pal I had a very good half x killed more rabbits than you will probably ever see and had a few 3/4 breds you are a Messer full stop and you will never have a clue ?

And as for the ageist bit I have no words except experience comes with age you plonker ?