Blown Dogs?

31 minutes ago, sandymere said:

That's rhabdomyolysis. 

Yeah mate I mentioned it in the OP, I suspect that's what Lucky had on a few occasions when he was supposed to have jacked. 

Of course I wasn't there so can only go off what the owner said. 

The fear of a blown dog was always in the back of your head when running a first season dog, it was said to permanent should it happen. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be the closest you get to it ?

?I reckon you can definitely overmatch a dog,. .regardless of what discipline it is engaged in...? Physicality, is the same, whatever the activity... Never actually seen, or owned a running

I'm breeding one last litter then I'm done it will be in four years time I'm gifting them all as I always have if there is a little bitch in there it's yours it will suit ya... Just treat it as y

Posted Images

Couple year ago my bin ticklers were having a runabout wi a big featherd sal x it was a rescue dog lovely thing about 27 inch my dogs were chasing it giving there all and it just floated about like it could of gone twice as fast if it wanted 2  as it hoverd past me you could hear a loud rattle in its breathing that got well loud after a bit  damaged lungs  maybe ran 2 young 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Couple year ago my bin ticklers were having a runabout wi a big featherd sal x it was a rescue dog lovely thing about 27 inch my dogs were chasing it giving there all and it just floated about like it could of gone twice as fast if it wanted 2  as it hoverd past me you could hear a loud rattle in its breathing that got well loud after a bit  damaged lungs  maybe ran 2 young 

Would you say it floated about in a similar fashion to monkey magic on his cloud blackneck...

1206547639_monkey-magic-flying(1).gif.b53b352afcc296abb6226494c426b043.gif

• Haha 1

Read about 'blown' dogs but never seen what I read about in 40 years... Think old DBP was told about 'somethin' but didn't ever see it for real... ?‍♂️

Seen dogs with rhabdomylosis though, almost every one a 'quality older dog' ran by a green kid on a warm day or night... Finished them poor dogs off for sure. Think every one went into the ground... ?

5 minutes ago, fireman said:

Seen a dog that had been fed run a hare and die, it had been pigging out at a barbee and the owner was just walking it when a hare jumped up in front of us and the dog was loose...

Probably the heat aswell if it were Barby time like

Just now, Black neck said:

Probably the heat aswell if it were Barby time like

Autumn/early winter as i caught the chinky we had at the barbee the evening before with my lurcher and not a scorcher of a day mate like it sounded it was ..

12 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Think old DBP was told about 'somethin' but didn't ever see it for real... ?‍♂️

A lot of things in his books were second, third, fourth hand tales he heard somewhere down the line, factional author but entertaining ?

• Like 1

?I reckon you can definitely overmatch a dog,. .regardless of what discipline it is engaged in...?

Physicality, is the same, whatever the activity...

Never actually seen, or owned a running dog, with the infamous 'damaged diaphragm'

But, I reckon certain types would literally run themselves to a standstill, when pursuing their quarry,.. this has to have some repercussions along the line.

Hard thing to prevent though? 

The best of the best are simply going to go for it regardless of consequence,.. end of story really..

However, I do believe you can mentally ruin a genuine hunting dog, by allowing it to be consistently, out punched and out paced...

Go careful now,. all the best, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 8
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv known a couple lurchers that had a wheeze after a heavy run, sounded as tho summat wasn’t right, even when fit it would happen after a god run a bit of a rattle, squeak, wheeze

Well this were only playing about not taxing it sen so I'd say it were fecked

17 hours ago, Black neck said:

A lad I know had one used to Whistle it went past behind a bunny. Never laughed as much in my life.