Blown Dogs?

Not sure which book I read it in, probably a Plummer, I recall reading about risking blowing your dogs if you give them too much stick early on. 

Now, is there actually such thing as over exertion which permanently damages the lungs? 

I've read about sighthounds sometimes suffering from a condition called rhabdomyolysis but that usually occurs in regions of high temperature and high humidity. 

I've heard that a blown dog may be called so because of damage to the diaphragm but has anybody actually seen this. 

Edited by Greb147

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be the closest you get to it ?

?I reckon you can definitely overmatch a dog,. .regardless of what discipline it is engaged in...? Physicality, is the same, whatever the activity... Never actually seen, or owned a running

I'm breeding one last litter then I'm done it will be in four years time I'm gifting them all as I always have if there is a little bitch in there it's yours it will suit ya... Just treat it as y

Posted Images

Don't know about blown dogs but rhabdomyolysis is common enough in overworked lurchers, even in this part of the world. To my shame I have had two dogs suffer from it myself when I was a lot younger and lived in good hare country. Both were collie bred lurchers that ran multiple hares. The first was retrieving a hare after a good run and another hare got up. She chased it, beginning with the first still in her mouth. The second was a first cross dog, not yet fully fit and running on a hot day, early season.

Both recovered to work again, seemingly none the worse but it could have been a lot worse.

One of the advantages of running saluki bred dogs if hare is your quarry.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bangersanmash said:

It's an old saying mate about blowing there lungs meaning giving them too much at a young age they start to Wissel its something to do with the chest cavity an lungs. I'm no expert look it up. 

That's what I've always been told but never actually heard of anyone's dogs suffering from or can't find owt on it? 

Had a greyhound get to hot and keel over.s

Someone brought a deerhound x greyhound With us and tryed to run it the same as the saluki xs we was running. It ended coughing and pissing blood and jacking , even after a few weeks rest.

• Like 1
Just now, mush said:

Had a greyhound get to hot and keel over.s

Someone brought a deerhound x greyhound With us and tryed to run it the same as the saluki xs we was running. It ended coughing and pissing blood and jacking , even after a few weeks rest.

That was probably the condition I mentioned mate as it does have those symptoms, I'm guessing that what a blown dog is then. 

It's not just a problem in pups though by what I've read, any dog that runs too hot is at risk. 

14 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That was probably the condition I mentioned mate as it does have those symptoms, I'm guessing that what a blown dog is then. 

It's not just a problem in pups though by what I've read, any dog that runs too hot is at risk. 

That's rhabdomyolysis.