Tallies

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? One thing I learned several years ago,.. was NEVER to lie...? This was brought home to me one crisp Winter's morning when undertaking a rabbit clearance job... We were ferreting a long hed

I keep a game book; Not huge numbers, but an honest account. Some names have been hidden to prevent embarrassment! ?? ! Cheers.  

I do wonder how many really are still hunting them regular with success ? Just got to look ok the ferreting section or air rifle section here, or even on the running dogs. Rabbits are legal quarry and

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Not that it matters but wondering if anyone keeps tallies on rabbit numbers bagged for an individual dog. If they catch 5 a week that's 250 a year. I'm thinking my blue bitch's catches must be in the thousands at 8 years.

you been doing plenty aussie or covid laws slowed you

Just now, mC HULL said:

Just getting back into it as have moved back out bush. Lived up the coast for 8 months, no rabbits about but the dogs caught one one night up there it was an angora escapee, lol. They did get quite good at catching quail up there, lol.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Not that it matters but wondering if anyone keeps tallies on rabbit numbers bagged for an individual dog. If they catch 5 a week that's 250 a year. I'm thinking my blue bitch's catches must be in the thousands at 8 years.

I used to keep a diary of all my hunting...but just stopped a few years ago

• Like 2

I did it years ago and I think the diaries are in my loft.

The best I've seen are Doxhope's, who kept diaries from the late 70's when he was a 'profit hunter', they make fantastic reading and I did tell Bill he should publish and I'm still in hope he does...

10 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Young james done this last year just.on the one farm so he said we got 328 rabbits with the ferrets nets and dogs 56 rabbits snareing and 130 rabbits on the lamp now its not good for lamping for one reason and another that's just on the one dairy farm we do 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Just getting back into it as have moved back out bush. Lived up the coast for 8 months, no rabbits about but the dogs caught one one night up there it was an angora escapee, lol. They did get quite good at catching quail up there, lol.

Just out of intreast mate, where are big numbers of rabbits in Oz? I thought I watched a vid in Oz, not so long back, where they totally over run with run the feckers the ground just moved with rabbits, not sure if it was new south Wales, might be wrong. If lived in Oz, and had  could get to place like that, I spend 3-days  there, plenty of dog food, and work for ferrets, and deff lamping for the lurchers?

? One thing I learned several years ago,.. was NEVER to lie...?

This was brought home to me one crisp Winter's morning when undertaking a rabbit clearance job...

We were ferreting a long hedgerow,.. and doing real well...

There was already 38 shushis laid out, all along my side of the hedge, and to anyone turning up, it did look a tad impressive..

My partner was necking rabbits on his side, and he had been chucking his share, over to me.

I had decided to leave them in small heaps, to facilitate collection for when we walked back to the truck..

We had fifty plus hedgerows on the Estate, still to treat, and this was going to be a few weeks work,.. and well paid to boot?

The Farmer cruised up in his new 4x4 and was visibly impressed...

"My goodness, that ferreting business is really effective isn't it" he said..

"Yes sir, I did tell you that we do a professional job, we will definitely make a difference, I promise you"?

The Farmer was leaning out of his window, counting the conies as he drove slowly along the warren...

"I suppose your partner has and equal amount on his side of the hedge , eh?" 

My pal,.. foolishly said,.. "Yes Boss I've got the same on my side"...

BIG MISTAKE....?

The Farmer said,.. "I'll come on round and take a look at them"...

It was, emotional....?

I learned a big lesson that day,...never, ever,.. exaggerate or lie, about the quantity of game you catch,...for sure as eggs is eggs,.. that lie will come back to haunt you.

All the best lads, and good hunting to you all...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
15 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Think I’ve caught ....... one ..... maybe two rabbits this season. My bug dog who died start of this season I think ran four and caught three in his life ? 

Mines caught three in her life , last one was artic fox style kangarooing in cover I was impressed but she ate the head before I got there...

• Like 1