Training Bedy Whippet to work under lamp

Just got my we bedy Whippet, from proper working background. Original owner had get rid down to health issues.

He's now 10 month, and slowly getting used to me, and me shouting his commands . Slowly does it.

Should I wait till he proper trained to the commands, sit, return, etc, before I take him out walking at night, and getting used to the  beam. 

My main worry , If I let him off lead before he proper got grasp of the return, and recognition his name, could he run off into the distance, and end with serious issues to get him to return ?

Edited by scotsmac1

12 hours ago, scotsmac1 said:

Just got my we bedy Whippet, from proper working background. Original owner had get rid down to health issues.

He's now 10 month, and slowly getting used to me, and me shouting his commands . Slowly does it.

Should I wait till he proper trained to the commands, sit, return, etc, before I take him out walking at night, and getting used to the  beam. 

My main worry , If I let him off lead before he proper got grasp of the return, and recognition his name, could he run off into the distance, and end with serious issues to get him to return ?

Get him out ferreting with you mate ? 

• Like 1

As been said get him/her out ferreting pinning to nets by far the best way of teaching a up an coming young un what the crack is while teaching the dog it’s a team effort between you an dog while building confidence at the same time. Tbh Id not take a beddy whippet out Id just got Id want to know we were friends an on the same page beddy whippets can be stubborn little fuckers I couldn’t think of nothing worse than slipping a beddy whippet that there’s no control over in to darkness after gear for is to miss an hunt up like feck an me be burning the fields down with rays of lamp light from the lamp an me shouting about to restore control.

Worse thing about beddy xs is there f**k you attitude an there nose it’s also there blessing as well but you need to bring them on steady an not rush things if you can get everything in order there a great cross an a pleasure to own an work 

• Like 1