Running pups

40 minutes ago, C.green said:

I like to see them atleast getting into stuff at 6 month old. Few rabbits couple times a week learns a puppy hell of alot 

spot on, my last 2 dogs, both were catching rabbits easy in the lamp at 6 month old , bryn  lived till he was 14 yar old, and catching rabbits 10 years old,Buck the same and being honest even though he was big heavy dog, he pick rabbits up easy. Both made it look easy, trigger on here would tell you same as me as seen both dogs work, Buck lost bit of pace now, but i knew he would as big dogs slow down and age quicker than smaller dogs he 10 year old this august. i think it comes down to how you enter them, when young,  No silly long slips, walk up to the rabbits at 1st , let them catch few, getting there strike right  once they master that your on a winner , i think old bryn had 100 rabbits by time he was 8 month old ,Buck was getting 20 a night, which was great for big dog, but he was bred for other stuff, as well as  rabbits.

7 1/2 months my first bitch started when mooching and was a once in lifetime dog her daughter held her back till 12 was close to the standard her mother was 

my brother has a 7 month old cattle dog cross and this thing looks bloody fully matured and I’d say needs worked now handful of a thing I wouldn’t wish it on myself think it will be a serious bit of kit if given chance 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, saluki bouy said:

my brother has a 7 month old cattle dog cross and this thing looks bloody fully matured and I’d say needs worked now handful of a thing I wouldn’t wish it on myself think it will be a serious bit of kit if given chance 

They sure can be a handful but plenty of graft and brain stimulation should keep them a bit of a even keel and one cattle dog cross i knew was out with ferrets and nets at 15 weeks old and it marked a kill under ground and started to dig for it before it's owner got the finder out..

Any pics of the dog bud?.

29 minutes ago, fireman said:

They sure can be a handful but plenty of graft and brain stimulation should keep them a bit of a even keel and one cattle dog cross i knew was out with ferrets and nets at 15 weeks old and it marked a kill under ground and started to dig for it before it's owner got the finder out..

Any pics of the dog bud?.

All get some I had him a couple weeks try to get some manners into him cracking pup my brothers not a dog man but his little ones a different laddie round dogs so this came up I bought him it but I worry now it won’t get the stimulation it needs or the dominant personality over it 

like I said I genuinely can’t believe how mature it looks for the age it is

In your post you said your shouting commands at the dog so to me that came across as dog got no recall ? And had no training and that's why I said get this sorted first and stock broken before working it ,and you don't want to be shouting commands when lamping or ferreting? If the pup is coming along go ferreting and let it feel fur then move onto lamp ,

As for right time to enter  it all depends on the dog as they all diffrent, I've seen deerhound xs not ready until gone 18 Mt's and go on to become good grafters but I've also seen dogs become jappers because run to young on stuff they had no chance of catching, 

• Like 2