Christmas trees

Any lads on here have much experience of rabbits around Christmas trees? 

Got some permission on Christmas tree farm and few rabbits on there getting at the young trees. Have taken a few rabbits from the Warren's on the outside of the field with the ferrets but got 1 Warren that I have no access too. Been watching the rabbits from that Warren leave home, squeeze under the fence and into the Christmas trees. 

Have attempted to lamp them with the dog, more hopefully than expecting but as I thought would be the case I'm losing them through the trees on the lamp. 

I've heard about people setting up long nets and using terriers to flush rabbits into the net. My spaniel would happily do this but would prefer to use lurcher pup as its enclosed and ideal situation for her to get close to rabbits. Using both dogs is a no-go at the minute as when the spaniel gets hyped up on scent, the lurcher seems to know and turns into a nut job. 

Any suggestions/previous experience be much appreciated before I resort to shooting them. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Snare them as they come under fence, Job be cleared in a week ?

Don't know enough about snaring or trapping to think I'd have much success tbh, plus fence they enter through is on footpath so don't fancy Joe public getting their knickers twisted 

50 minutes ago, Penda said:

Them drop box traps are alrite I used to set 1 up on the corner of a cricket pitch I used to have permission with a mate once you get it in the right spot you soon rack up the numbers 

Will have a look at them but like I said to Katchum, don't really know enough about trapping to think I'd do any good 

Just had a look at them drop boxes, seem like a good bit of kit but not sure how happy land owner will be about me digging a big box into his field. Be worth a mention though I reckon ?

Edited by scottpenn28
35 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Lot work to put one in, need a few good few rabbits to make it worth while, I got few kicking about, not local to me are you

Well your profile says your from "here and there".....so maybe ?

But I believe your a couple hours from me at least. And probably wouldn't be worth the hassle then if need decent numbers to make it worth while. 

19 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I would personally just long net the boundary you know they head to abs Chuck the two dogs in the Christmas trees. 

They tend to run from 1 group of trees to another and from that group to the next, rarely back to fence.

My though was to long net between 2 banks of trees and try push them towards the net 

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Samrog said:

Hows lurcher pup coming on now scott?

Tbh mate not great, was getting myself stressed out and worked up because wasn't able to get her catching. When in reality everything I was trying to get her on wasn't really right for her to be starting with. 

Decided to take a step back due to frustration and leave her be as didnt want her thinking me getting stressed was due to her. Haven't been out in about 3/4 weeks now. Trying to find rabbits local is difficult enough without trying to find easy squatters! Gonna get her back out this week at some point and just be sensible with her and if she doesn't get a slip then so be it. 

But I have every faith in her....just not as much in me ?

Your young dog looks like he's coming on well though pal? 

Edited by scottpenn28
2 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Will have a look at them but like I said to Katchum, don't really know enough about trapping to think I'd do any good 

Just had a look at them drop boxes, seem like a good bit of kit but not sure how happy land owner will be about me digging a big box into his field. Be worth a mention though I reckon ?

There a good idea and if there doing there you can knock them off for abit there wicked for the spring if the land owners moaning 

4 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Tbh mate not great, was getting myself stressed out and worked up because wasn't able to get her catching. When in reality everything I was trying to get her on wasn't really right for her to be starting with. 

Decided to take a step back due to frustration and leave her be as didnt want her thinking me getting stressed was due to her. Haven't been out in about 3/4 weeks now. Trying to find rabbits local is difficult enough without trying to find easy squatters! Gonna get her back out this week at some point and just be sensible with her and if she doesn't get a slip then so be it. 

But I have every faith in her....just not as much in me ?

Your young dog looks like he's coming on well though pal? 

Ahh. I’m sure you’ll crack it mate you’re keen enough  ?? 
yeah he’s alright he’s only done about  half dozen rabbits so far been taking it steady with him. Gonna start doing a lot more at end of shooting season  til end of  season.  Not been out with the ferrets and him yet. Excited tho.