BSA Ultra CLX 160

My pal and myself went along to our rfd today as I wanted to set zero on one of the rifles and my shooting buddy wanted to buy a sub 12.  Now his original plan was to buy a Kral NP-03 or I should say a replacement NP-03 as the first one never left the shop as it was a crock of sh1t BUT his mind had been whizzing around as he didn't know what to get.  Over the past couple of days we have gone from an NP-03 right through to a Crown and everything in between but as he has a Crown in .22 fac,  thought a sub 12 would be a nice partner to the fac................................so on the journey there this morning that was the plan, the price tag was £1350 and my buddy expected to get away with £1200,     well that didn't happen so he said bugger it I will have the Ultra limited edition.

Let me tell you what he got for his £1000..................... a grey laminate stock,  side lever cocking,  a scope, nasty plastic carry case,  tin of BSA pellets and sound mod.  Fcuk me......... what an overpriced bloody specimen.  A grand and no reg, that in itself is a joke in my opinion.   The scope is a BSA Essential scope..................well it is so basic, none AO and needless to say it didn't even go on the gun as we had taken a Hawke Airmax Compact, why would you pay out a grand and put on a junk scope, it's an insult.    I must say the new all metal mag is far superior to the plastic jobs normally supplied with BSA however there was only one supplied. 

The gun is pretty and the side lever cocking is long overdue (and I suspect the new R10 rifle when it is launched will have a side lever) but nevertheless works very well although pellet groups have some way to go before I would be at all happy with them. The shot count is supposed to be around 70 shots per fill but if these claims are similar to BSA claims of the past, it will be nowhere near 70 on target shots per fill and something we will soon be finding out over the next few days. 

For my own thoughts, my buddy has been a   'dick of the minute'   because this thing is simply not worth the money and I would have paid that bit more and bought the Crown which will wipe the floor with this rip off rifle.  Oh dear I fear this may not be in his collection for too long.........

Phil 

I'm very surprised at the both of you 

Mitch you more than any one pushes the ultra and I have to agree 

It is a good rifle up there with the best and now they have brought out a new one limited edition 

With a side leaver and gray laminate stock yes a high price tag 

But some people don't mind paying that and as for shot count 

Phil don't most manufactures

Say that about there rifles only to find they do not and the ultra has all ways had a low shot count anyway 

But we all put up with it as its such a good rifle 

Now Phil the crown is a cracking rifle and very very accurate 

But iv have a feeling you may of had some Input into your friend taking it back and changing it for the crown 

What you like may not be what your friend likes 

You should of been happy for him and not of slatted his choice of rifle 

Even if it was a grand 

I'm in no doubt he will fall in love with the crown I know I did and yes I wish I'd not have sold it but I did

And another may be on its way 

But I think the ultra clx is a good looking rifle 

And mitch phil if it had the name

Daystate 

It would be three times the price 

And would be a pile of sh*t

And no one more than you know that 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, bigmac 97kt said:

I'm very surprised at the both of you 

Mitch you more than any one pushes the ultra and I have to agree 

It is a good rifle up there with the best and now they have brought out a new one limited edition 

With a side leaver and gray laminate stock yes a high price tag 

But some people don't mind paying that and as for shot count 

Phil don't most manufactures

Say that about there rifles only to find they do not and the ultra has all ways had a low shot count anyway 

But we all put up with it as its such a good rifle 

Now Phil the crown is a cracking rifle and very very accurate 

But iv have a feeling you may of had some Input into your friend taking it back and changing it for the crown 

What you like may not be what your friend likes 

You should of been happy for him and not of slatted his choice of rifle 

Even if it was a grand 

I'm in no doubt he will fall in love with the crown I know I did and yes I wish I'd not have sold it but I did

And another may be on its way 

But I think the ultra clx is a good looking rifle 

And mitch phil if it had the name

Daystate 

It would be three times the price 

And would be a pile of sh*t

And no one more than you know that 

Atvbjimmy ???

You misundersatnd Jimmy, Chris already has a Crown .22 fac so knows and loves the gun and so needed no input from me.  He has had an Impact for the past three years so was already a convert but he bought the Ultra because, firstly, he liked the feel of it, secondly, after checking the shot count, he was happy that it would be enough for his needs and would have kept the gun had it not been for the shot count.  BSA have always given bullshit figures regarding their guns shot count and this one was stated at 70 shots per fill so when he tested the gun when he got home only to find that at 35 shots the poi was quickly falling hence him taking it back.

The CLX 160 IS way over priced for what you get and I would be the first to say the Ultra is a cracking little gun but it needs the reg and extended cylinder to make it a great gun. We are talking a grand here, throw away the scope and put on a decent one say £200 - 300. Now fit a reg or in this case get Ratworks or whoever to fit a reg and an exteded cylinder approx £200 so we are at roughly £1400 - 1500...................................... what is the point, buy an FX.

If this gun had done the 70 shot count as listed but it was only half that Jimmy and apart from any Daystate blurb which I woud never believe anyway, most guns that I have owned have been pretty much on the nail with manufacturers stated info regarding shot count.

The bottom line is that he has bought the Crown sub 12, which in all honesty, is what he really wanted anyway and is now very very happy, in his own words, 'why the hell I didn't buy it in the first place I will never know.

Phil

• Like 1

The ultra is one of the best pcp sub12 will match any top price gun that’s for sure and for around £450- 500 but at £1000 plus no reg  I am afraid it taking the piss . Specially you can buy snowpeak P35 with a reg for around £500 mark 

• Like 1

Interesting, personally I wouldn’t have paid that for the ultra. I can’t knock the ultra, never even used one. I think a side lever on the bsa’s is long overdue, especially with the new thumbhole R10 model. But to me, they don’t appeal like the crown does at not a lot more money. What calibre is your pals 12ft lb crown Phil? I’ve been hanging my nose over one for a while, but can’t decide whether it’s worth it for a 12ft lbs and I don’t have a spare slot for any more fac air.

3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Interesting, personally I wouldn’t have paid that for the ultra. I can’t knock the ultra, never even used one. I think a side lever on the bsa’s is long overdue, especially with the new thumbhole R10 model. But to me, they don’t appeal like the crown does at not a lot more money. What calibre is your pals 12ft lb crown Phil? I’ve been hanging my nose over one for a while, but can’t decide whether it’s worth it for a 12ft lbs and I don’t have a spare slot for any more fac air.

He went for a .22 as he has a 110k in .177 and not a big fan of .177, not sure why though.

Phil

• Like 1