• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't buy Red Mills on principal since they buckled to the antis and pulled out of their sponsorship of greyhound racing .....they sell to the industry but don't agree with it???? how's that work .

I generally use raw when I can get it,I've a mate that helps me out a lot with flesh,Andi throw a cup full of dog meal in on top ,....I'll get at least a month out of the free bag ,I also do a few ste

I have been involved with greyhounds nearly 40 years and still feed traditional as I remember seeing trainers cooking a massive stew at the kennels ?.....I use pasta rice tripe , mince,sardines and ob

Posted Images

A few years back, I was at the feed merchants for poultry food, and the owner told me a Greyhound trainer had ordered a pallet of this, but had let him down. The supplier said it wasn't worth sending it back so just sell it for what you can get.

IMG_1734.JPG.dee5b56e164c95f945a40600f9a9013e.JPG

It retailed at £28 but he was selling it for £8. He gave me a bag for free to try it. The dogs looked great on it, even though some people said there was to much protein. Anyway, I went back to buy more, but a lad who worked there an kept coursing dogs had bought the lot !

I think it was made by Alpha, but had the feed merchants label.

Cheers.

I generally use raw when I can get it,I've a mate that helps me out a lot with flesh,Andi throw a cup full of dog meal in on top ,....I'll get at least a month out of the free bag ,I also do a few stews for them,a few chickens,veg ,heart and shin bones all boiled up together, keeps em in good nick

IMG_20220107_155821.jpg

IMG_20220107_165012.jpg

• Like 11
7 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I generally use raw when I can get it,I've a mate that helps me out a lot with flesh,Andi throw a cup full of dog meal in on top ,....I'll get at least a month out of the free bag ,I also do a few stews for them,a few chickens,veg ,heart and shin bones all boiled up together, keeps em in good nick

IMG_20220107_155821.jpg

IMG_20220107_165012.jpg

Yours are in good nick aswell proper grub

I think what you pay or what you feed is up to you I only really feed one dog good now days the old un is mainly biscuit fed with the odd bit of meat I remember when it was very economical to feed raw food it was 2 a penny for all sorts i had 4 dogs on the go at one point I don’t think raw nows that economical if your buying in.  I still take on a few cockerels a year an cull them for dog food an fallen ewes if there’s no meds in them I still  buy a bit tripe duck necks but other than that it’s from the field or human grade meat plus table scraps 

Yeah,.. I think as the years roll by, the feeding regime changes alongside...?

Its crazy, but when I was lamping most nights, and catching plenty of game, I fed the dogs on a pretty poor diet..

They still did ok, and I often wonder if I was just lucky, or would the jukels have taken more quarry, if I had fed them a superior food?

Most nights,.. were Vitalin nights❗

Unbelievable, Muesli style shite,...but there ya go,.. we knew no better, and the dogs ran spot on...

Nowadays, I only keep companion dogs, wee Mouchers,.. and we rarely catch much, so I feed what comes my way, and I don't get too serious about it.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

were Vitalin nights❗

I'll never forget the smell of my dog's shite, after I started to feed them that stuff!!  Strewn all across the kennel run like someone had been in there with a muckspreader!!  ?

Close to 40 years ago, but NEVER again!!  ? ?

• Haha 2