What's the long term prediction for this virus? When it first appeared I read it would burn itself out in 7 years. No such luck. Had a place where farmer used to beg me to deal with rabbits. I killed over a thousand a season most years. Counted 4 today. Is there anywhere in the country where rabbits have got resistance?

10 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

What's the long term prediction for this virus? When it first appeared I read it would burn itself out in 7 years. No such luck. Had a place where farmer used to beg me to deal with rabbits. I killed over a thousand a season most years. Counted 4 today. Is there anywhere in the country where rabbits have got resistance?

Not sure I have places that haven’t had rabbits for years now seem to have a good population. And others that had loads only hold a few 

On 10/01/2022 at 20:22, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

Local wankers just lamp the same spots night after night near me nowt left now and if there is there riddled with mixy or rhvd

Same around me pricks hammering the one spot all season not giving them a chance at all

In the good old days, when I owned Nell, I only took rabbits I could use. For food fer the stinkers and the dog   so two was my limit folks are hammering them now while the bunny population is struggling, many a time on my way home from my days out, Nell would mark but I walked away, I deprived her of what she was born n bred to do, what for eh 

31 minutes ago, mush said:

So it would be good to clean your ferreting gear and ferrets or its going to be passed on?

Might help if your visiting isolated populations, also would need to clean your boots as well.

"RVHD is spread between rabbits by direct contact and through all bodily fluids (blood, urine, faeces, saliva). The virus is very stable in the environment; it can survive for more than 100 days at room temperature and longer if it is cold. The virus particles are also resistant to freezing."

from

FIRSTVET.COM

Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (RVHD) is a highly contagious and usually fatal disease which affects rabbits. The disease is also known as Viral...

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1