R.I.P. FREDDIE

thanks lads, for all your kind messages and consideration, your a good bunch of lads,going to collect him from vet today, and lay him to rest in a place where he loved to hunt,and  he will rest where the hares run, and the rabbits hop, and he will be at peace,when my dogs come to me its for life, and i do my best      to give them a good working life,  doesnt get any easy, still got the other old deerhoundx grey, coming up 11 yrs, be another bad one when he goes, getting soft in old age. 

• Like 8

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

earlier today, i sadly lost my 5yr old deerhoundx greyhound to bloat,  vet did emergency op on him,but sadly he didnt make it,had lots of lurchers in my 6+years on this planet, but first time losing a

thanks lads, for all your kind messages and consideration, your a good bunch of lads,going to collect him from vet today, and lay him to rest in a place where he loved to hunt,and  he will rest where

You wrote "honest and loyal", nothing more required from a dog.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, grompz said:

thanks lads, for all your kind messages and consideration, your a good bunch of lads,going to collect him from vet today, and lay him to rest in a place where he loved to hunt,and  he will rest where the hares run, and the rabbits hop, and he will be at peace,when my dogs come to me its for life, and i do my best      to give them a good working life,  doesnt get any easy, still got the other old deerhoundx grey, coming up 11 yrs, be another bad one when he goes, getting soft in old age. 

Ya welcome mate it's hard but you'll have support from family to pull through can't beat family in these hard times 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Sorry to hear of your loss. A mate of mine has lost two pure deerhounds' with bloat it made me wonder if this is common in these big dog's.

yes tats it is very common in pure deerhounds, know a couple of people who had in show bred stock, but never heard of it in the crossbred  deerhound stuff, heard it said before that pure greyhounds can also suffer with it, even the vet said they dont know what triggers it off in dogs. atb.

5 minutes ago, grompz said:

yes tats it is very common in pure deerhounds, know a couple of people who had in show bred stock, but never heard of it in the crossbred  deerhound stuff, heard it said before that pure greyhounds can also suffer with it, even the vet said they dont know what triggers it off in dogs. atb.

A wonder if that what happened to this chaps and his misses pure deer hound. A got told by one of neighbours they'd lost it at 3 year old big f***ing thing it was. A used to laugh when he was waking it no control at all.. Always turning the other way on walks when he'd see others with there dogs lol. You would see him walking it an soon as he'd spot you he'd turn round an set off other way was a nasty f****r but nice looking animal. Just in the wrong hands show ponys. Them that go to country shows but dogs never seen graft. 

Edited by Bangersanmash

Bloat does seem more prevalent in pure Deerhounds. A pal of mine lost a pregnant bitch, and a, relatively, young dog to bloat.

I think I got lucky with my previous deer/grey bitch, she was still working at 10, developed mammary tumours at 11, which spread to her lungs at 12, leading to me putting her down. Previous to this she never had an illness.

My deer/grey pup is going to be a big bitch, I hope I get the same trouble free years from her.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, grompz said:

I know Dave Platts told my mate not to feed a good amount of grub in one sitting and break their meals down into small amounts i think my mate made the mistake that these pure Deerhounds would have been the same as the lurchers he had kept in the past.

3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I know Dave Platts told my mate not to feed a good amount of grub in one sitting and break their meals down into small amounts i think my mate made the mistake that these pure Deerhounds would have been the same as the lurchers he had kept in the past.

yeh , that deff helps  with  couple small meals a day, and let them have plenty of time to digest  each meal. when i worked at the racing kennels, we all ways kept a eye on the amount the greyhounds were eating, we had 50 dogs to look after , never heard of greyhounds getting it, but suppose  most dogs with  a tuck up stomach , might be mote prone to get it. ive never had it with any lurchers ive had ,Buck wolf his grub down quite quick, but slowed up since old bryn been dead.  R I P  Freddie . 

On 09/01/2022 at 19:42, grompz said:

earlier today, i sadly lost my 5yr old deerhoundx greyhound to bloat,  vet did emergency op on him,but sadly he didnt make it,had lots of lurchers in my 6+years on this planet, but first time losing a dog to this, freddie was no world beater, but he was an honest and loyal pal to me, and always gave his best,he kept me going when i was going through a rough time health wise, to say im going to miss him is going to be an understatement, run free freddie my loyal pal, seems to get harder to deal with now im  getting older.

Losing them young to bullshit really bites. I can still shed a tear for our Trevor, nearly 8 years later ?

• 2 months later...
On 10/01/2022 at 09:42, grompz said:

Grompz sent you 2 PM,s

• Thanks 1