Metal Detecting.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for couple of hours in a field today two coins, bit gutted worn. A bit of brass that I think horses reins went through. A rivet fro an old belt that probably drove a thrashing machine. And a bit o

A few of the better hammered I’ve found  edward 1st,Henry v1,Elizabeth 1,Henry 111,Mary,James I   

Do a fair bit of detecting found some nice bits, found this the other week when I was walking the dogs part of a Bronze Age flint dagger

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mackem said:

Bitcoin ?

WWW.BBC.COM

A detectorist who found the 13th Century coin said the sale price was "beyond belief".

Aye it's all about the history when there's 500 big ones going in the bank account, the find of a lifetime there. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Aye it's all about the history when there's 500 big ones going in the bank account, the find of a lifetime there. 

I hope you find a dozen mate, you just need to swing your coil over the right ground on the right day, it's a game of chance and luck, be lucky ??

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, mackem said:

I hope you find a dozen mate, you just need to swing your coil over the right ground on the right day, it's a game of chance and luck, be lucky ??

Have you heard of LIDAR, I was thinking outside the box, I imagine that could be a great tool for helping you find spots. 

Low and behold though there's lots of places that are just blanked out, surprise, surprise, I've a good idea why that is. 

Still, buying some books on ancient Britain would be a good start. 

9 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Have you heard of LIDAR, I was thinking outside the box, I imagine that could be a great tool for helping you find spots. 

Low and behold though there's lots of places that are just blanked out, surprise, surprise, I've a good idea why that is. 

Still, buying some books on ancient Britain would be a good start. 

Yes mate LIDAR is good, all part of the research, still plenty of stuff out there inches below the surface, people walk over it all the time never knowing just how close they are to a few quid ??

• Like 2

I always like to search around any big old oak trees , had plenty of coins over the years , ted fletchers books are worth a read used to enjoy his articles in TH mag certainly thought outside the box and did his research ,think he did afair bit mudlarking on the thames in the 70s , must have been magic in them days metal detecting would have just been a novelty 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Well out for few hours this afternoon. Getting better only got fooled four times with square nails Lol.

Did find £1 and a 1 pence but found nice 1917 penny and bloody great buckle and a Crown badge thing which I don't think is a Cap Badge as its pressed out. A dado rail hook, christ know how that gets in a field and some none ferrous junk. Couple pieces of lead which I slung.

IMG_5112.JPG.a0892375d461bc93a684277a5d023713.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
On 25/01/2022 at 16:51, DIDO.1 said:

Don't think I've ever done a field and not found a coin. 

I like finding old footpaths, also obvious picnic spots beside old footpaths.....places with a nice view. 

Footpaths too and from pubs are worth trying.Pissed up people over the years loosing money whilst falling over.

• Like 1
On 25/01/2022 at 15:57, mackem said:

Exactly that.You wont find gear if you aint out there looking for it.Put the hours in and youll find stuff sooner or later

• Like 3