Metal Detecting.

4 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Yes mate, will take it with me now and again. 

Still, there's endless opportunity to become a proper nerd, historical books of the UK, old maps if possible, LIDAR, etc. 

Just got the doubts that someone as been there, done it and bought the wardrobe. 

How you gonna have time for a dog? ?

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for couple of hours in a field today two coins, bit gutted worn. A bit of brass that I think horses reins went through. A rivet fro an old belt that probably drove a thrashing machine. And a bit o

A few of the better hammered I’ve found  edward 1st,Henry v1,Elizabeth 1,Henry 111,Mary,James I   

Do a fair bit of detecting found some nice bits, found this the other week when I was walking the dogs part of a Bronze Age flint dagger

Posted Images

Out for couple of hours in a field today two coins, bit gutted worn. A bit of brass that I think horses reins went through. A rivet fro an old belt that probably drove a thrashing machine. And a bit of no ferris slag.

IMG_4884.JPG.c82cfb764ebc54ecf23bd0084bdf069d.JPG

Thought I was on the colour when I first saw the shine in the black mud of the river mud the other day. An old oil lamp top that still works if you put a wick in it. One of the deepest things I have found.

IMG_4886.JPG.6b5e3b2e8f47870c5c127aa7bfe72400.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 10
48 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

What gets me, how do folk often find things when they go detecting, I mean I should imagine almost every square foot of England that's accessible has been detected, what's crack here like? 

Ive done the same fields time and time again and still find stuff,different ground conditions can give signals you might not have picked up previously like you’d get a better signal over damper ground than dry and also a most machines have different programs installed and you can f**k about with them to suit the ground your on .when you think you’ve done a field to death there’s still stuff on it ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Greb; Don't forget the beaches ;) Scan a beach as much as you like. Every tide amounts to new possibilities.

And a field is refreshed each time its ploughed ? what's down is brought up ?

• Like 1

But unless it's never been ploughed before then surely it's been brought up hundreds of times before? ?

Might have been ploughed hundreds of times, but at what depth and has it been detected hundreds of times after every ploughing? Every single square inch? 

Just now, mackem said:

Might have been ploughed hundreds of times, but at what depth and has it been detected hundreds of times after every ploughing? Every single square inch? 

I thought they only plough about a foot mate, not doubting you pal just find it strange that shit don't get found easier. 

I thought they only plough about a foot mate, not doubting you pal just find it strange that shit don't get found easier. 

They deep plough I think? There's still million quid treasures found every single year, all sorts buried and found, get Treasure Hunter or The Searcher magazine, have a look in, this island has loads hidden below, lots will never be found, and new losses, all sorts, good luck, one day you could be the next Eric Lawes (I hope so ?). 

• Thanks 1

Ive got a Vanquish 440, I brought it to find lost mole traps normally when livestock move marking pins. Going to give proper metal detecting ago.

Ive got over 1500 acres to go at in the Midlands and in the Peak District so hopefully find something ?.

What are the best finds you folks have had?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Greb147 said:

A lot will deep leg subsoil land now to rip out plough pans to aid drainage. That would pull up something deep down 

• Like 2