Small lurcher

1 hour ago, Elchapo said:

To be honest I'm not after more , I'm after something my young lad (5 year old ) can hold and walk with me , something to take doing abit of bushing ratting and squirelling , it won't be getting lamped more than once in a blue moon , just want something for nocking about in cover with on a daily basis and taking with the catty/airgun for nocking couple birds and squirrels,  not interested in catching double figgers on rabbits or hare either so i feel a first x terrier whippet something around 18 /19 tts would suit us down to a tee to be honest 

You won’t go far wrong with a beddy/whippet ? great little dogs. Atb

• Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Three weeks old they our 7/8 whippet 1/8 Wheaton genuine only thing is there in N Ireland out off top stuff ? 

marking rat, rabbit, squirrel. 

To be honest I'm not after more , I'm after something my young lad (5 year old ) can hold and walk with me , something to take doing abit of bushing ratting and squirelling , it won't be getting lampe

Posted Images

Leave the beddie whippets elchapo my pal got a little bitch there unbelievable 16tts proper little thing for messing with loves a squirrel kill ya few rabbits on lamp. Even them 20tts types would be abit strong for a child i had that dog socks used on his bitch he was 19tts i dont think many children hold him back and he was mad as a box of frogs. 

theres not many small dogs that can pickup rabbits fairly in the open either.

Only ever had one and a lovely dog. Was no speed machine though and when we lamped I all ways ran her on the rabbits close to the hedge because that was where she came into her own and nailed them. Caught a load by sticking her head in the hedge. Could run over any rough ground as she just floated over it. Only thing she didnt float over was a low lieing electic fence one night which saw her retired 

6993247258_a897447cff_o.jpg.cb0f619c4a4c3da0da7771ef2fe16e90.jpg 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, terryd said:

Only ever had one and a lovely dog. Was no speed machine though and when we lamped I all ways ran her on the rabbits close to the hedge because that was where she came into her own and nailed them. Caught a load by sticking her head in the hedge. Could run over any rough ground as she just floated over it. Only thing she didnt float over was a low lieing electic fence one night which saw her retired 

6993247258_a897447cff_o.jpg.cb0f619c4a4c3da0da7771ef2fe16e90.jpg 

lovely bitch Terry ?. I think a lot have been disappointed because they expect things that's beyond them. they are good at what they do within reason... was she a first cross? 

Edited by fred90
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, fred90 said:

lovely bitch Terry ?. I think a lot have been disappointed because they expect things that's beyond them. they are good at what they do within reason. 

This is it. Used to lamp with a couple of lads who had bigger speed machines. If a rabbit was a good way out we sent them or I just got positioned in-between and slipped as it got closer to the hedge. Or in the smaller rougher fields I ran mine. I just loved the size of her and many time popped under my arm for what ever reason. She weighed less than the terrier 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

Think half the problem is people see what people put on here as face value (can’t go wrong with a beddy whippet) they see that an there sold but In reality you can go completely wrong with a  f1 beddy/whippet if you want a dog for running stuff down what it finds rather than a bushing type o dog. But even a beddy whippet that knows the crack will have a 5yr old kid eating dirt if something pops up let alone bull whippets or Wheaton whippets tbh honest I don’t think any of these crosses are suitable for a 5yr old to be walking land with even if it sounds good on here bringing young uns in to the game  my last f1 beddy whippet I had was shit in my opinion she was a beddy whippet that was a good busher an ferreting bitch that’s all  that would have a kid eating dirt no problem if something poped up 17tts beddy x turned in to a 32deerhound cross in seconds if something needed killing 

Should ov made my self a little more clear regarding my lad holding it , I'm not expecting him to be holding the dog while we're out bushing cover and hunting etc expecting him to slip it or hold on to it while stuff flirting out of cover lol  , more so for while we out walking , he holds my spaniel bitch wich is like a bag in the wind 100 miles an hour and can manage her I ,I've been offered runners by close friends but these are going to be making 25tts plus which isn't what I'm after  don't see the point in my kid walking a lurcher that's tall than him just for nocking squirrels, rats and mugging couple rabbits in cover , all I'm after is a fast busher type , it's not got to be catching on lamp as its not going to be used for that and would probably go lamping once or twice in a season as I hae other thing to lamp with, I'm just after something with that little bit of extra speed decent coat  I was going to get him a terrier but to behonest finding a terrier that's been bred of terriers that won't go to ground ( propper bushing terriers not faild earth dogs ) is like rocking horse shit , unless you no people who have them ( which I don't) my partners friend has a beddy whippet and my lad adores it and while out walking its one the most laid back dogs I've seen ,