Scotland get battered…

I thought Smith looked overwrought last night,didnt play anywhere near as well as he can and had no consistency......id think this years tournament is tainted really what with 3 of the top players out re Covid......cant take to that Peter Wright geezer either comes across like a complete melt !

31 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I thought Smith looked overwrought last night,didnt play anywhere near as well as he can and had no consistency......id think this years tournament is tainted really what with 3 of the top players out re Covid......cant take to that Peter Wright geezer either comes across like a complete melt !

Smith does that regular as he nears the business end of a big competition , shame, as he's one of the most natural throwers on the tour.

The only one of the three missing that could of won it was Van Gerwin, and he's a shadow of his best, Chizzy is another that bottles it under pressure, and Vandevoort isn't good enough, but I agree, the question will allways be asked " who would have won if MVG had played".

I also can't get away with Wright, but fair do's, he's been the most successful player on the tour this year.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Smith does that regular as he nears the business end of a big competition , shame, as he's one of the most natural throwers on the tour.

The only one of the three missing that could of won it was Van Gerwin, and he's a shadow of his best, Chizzy is another that bottles it under pressure, and Vandevoort isn't good enough, but I agree, the question will allways be asked " who would have won if MVG had played".

I also can't get away with Wright, but fair do's, he's been the most successful player on the tour this year.

Cheers.

I get that whole rhythm thing to throwing Phil Taylor used to talk about how important it was but surely a basic " take more care " attitude has to come into it when you've just thrown 2 poor darts,the amount of 3rd darts he just threw away through sticking with rhythm was shocking......ok i didnt know he was iffy under pressure and Wright seems to have a fantastic temperament.....is Chisnal not one of the top bods anymore then ive never understood how they work the rankings out i presume its a bit like the snooker and dependant on tournaments entered etc....but yes you still like to think a " world championship " should be open to the worlds best.....cant believe how many names id never heard of though playing at such a high level the sports definitely on the up and up.

6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I get that whole rhythm thing to throwing Phil Taylor used to talk about how important it was but surely a basic " take more care " attitude has to come into it when you've just thrown 2 poor darts,the amount of 3rd darts he just threw away through sticking with rhythm was shocking......ok i didnt know he was iffy under pressure and Wright seems to have a fantastic temperament.....is Chisnal not one of the top bods anymore then ive never understood how they work the rankings out i presume its a bit like the snooker and dependant on tournaments entered etc....but yes you still like to think a " world championship " should be open to the worlds best.....cant believe how many names id never heard of though playing at such a high level the sports definitely on the up and up.

Chizzy has hovered around the top 16 for years, he's a great "floor" player, but when it comes to the latter stages of the big, televised tournaments his bottle goes and he's never really made the big breakthrough.

The standard of darts is amazing now, my missus must get sick of me keep telling her that her old pals like Bristow and Lowe would be lucky to make the last 16 of the major tournaments ?

They are far more confident of going for shots like double double, and double bull now.When they are in the mid 300's they are then throwing to leave a finish.

Look at the " 9 darter"; Lowe got £118,000 for doing it, it's almost commonplace now. Price did it in the quarters and still lost the set ! 

The BDO was happy to keep it more or less a pub game, then along came the PDC and made it entertainment and big money, so more and more players joined in. 

It used to cost more to attend some of the BDO events than you could win in prize money, events like the Swedish Open, but they needed to go and do well to qualify for the Majors. Now, there's good money for getting to the second round, and the invitation opens get prize money even for first round losers !

Cheers.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

.....cant take to that Peter Wright geezer either comes across like a complete melt !

My fishing pal included,i know a few folk who have met him in passing as he lived in suffolk until recently and he wouldn't give autographs or them the time of day really..